Using auto matching when a lot of the accounts were imported as a QIF

SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in

On a lot of my accounts, I am importing as a QIF file. Since I import the .QIF files as cash files and then move them over to their appropriate accounts, can I still use the auto matching feature?

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No.
    Transactions "moved" from one account to another will always be treated as "New" transactions in the receiving account.

If you want Quicken to try to match QIF file transactions to existing Quicken transactions, you need to import the QIF file directly into the account where you want the QIF file transactions to ultimately reside. [Even then, the matching process is not flawless.]

You can import QIF files to the desired account, if you follow the instructions in this post: http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004

You may be able to make your life even easier, if you use the approach in this post: http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-a-program-to-add-the-account-name-and-type-to-qif-files-so-that-quicken-will-import-them
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks much.  Do you think it would be preferable to import the QIF files first (before I import QFX).  When it's possible to do it in this order, Quicken may have an easier time with that.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I believe QFX imports are much better than QIF file imports.
    But you can likely test this for yourself.

And Direct Connect (which does not involve "importing" per se), is far superior to either - though it is not always available.

[I can't think of a situation where I would regularly do both - I would only consider QIF file imports for special situations where QFX did not work or was not available.]
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken's matching on QIF files isn't that good, but on the whole I wouldn't say it is worse than with QFX, but QFX has an advantage that QIF doesn't.  If the same transaction is downloaded twice with a QIF file you have either match or delete.
    If you download a QFX transaction twice you will never see it a second time, because the QFX format has an unique Id that Quicken uses to block importing duplicate transactions.

For normal use cases the only reason you would be importing a QIF is because you can't import a QFX file.  And what you would be matching to even if you did it would be a manually entered transaction.

There are cases though where when a person might import a QIF file into an account that is setup to import for QFX, but I think matching might be a problem, since it really doesn't matter if it is a QIF file or QFX file Quicken can be picky about what it matches to.  Like for instance the amounts have to be exactly the same.

One case is for some reason your QIF file has pre-filled in categories.  Say that you QIF file came from some mobile app, and you put in the category at the time you put in the transaction.  QIF format can allow that category to be imported with the transaction into the register, but QFX has nothing in its format for a category.  So for instance if you put in a category on a financial institution's web site, there is no way through QFX format it could be transferred to Quicken.

The other case I have seen was for payroll where the payroll information like checks to employees can be first imported into Quicken used QIF format and then use normal Quicken Direct Connect/Express Web Connect/Web Connect (QFX) to download the transactions when they clear the financial institution.