Is it possible to get more detail for a Chase deposit?

0131kknox0131kknox Member
edited October 2018 in

I am a mac user.  I am trying to get details from chase deposits.  When i log into chase i can see line by line at least the amounts of checks in a deposit.  When that deposit is downloaded to quicken it does not include that detail.  I have turned on direct connect and have also opened an entirely new file to download this one account.  Any ideas? Is this even an option? 

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Are you depositing more than 1 check at a time?  What you need to use is an intermediate holding account. Set up an account and call it something like Checks Received or Undeposited Payments. Then enter the payments into it. Then when you make the deposit to your bank account you transfer the total deposit amount to the new account. That way when you download your bank transactions the deposit will match.  Or you should use the holding account if you receive payments in one year (like in Dec) but don't make the deposit until the next year (like Jan.).

You don't run to the bank each time you get a check.  So you need a holding account so you can show the income when you received it.  Then you wait until you get a bunch of checks to go to the bank.
  • 0131kknox0131kknox Member
    edited July 2016
    True. I guess the real question is can chase transfer the check by check information to quicken?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The FI ONLY transfers the information on the net amount of the deposit.  If there were more than one item in a deposit, it will still show up as a single entry.
    The only way to get the FI to have multiple entries in the download is to make multiple individual deposits and I can not imagine anyone who deposits many checks (typical business) doing it that way.  The FI probably isn't going to be too happy if you hand them ten checks and ten deposits slips routinely either.
    If you are needing more detailed information on each check that can not be handled in a split, then using the intermediate account holding account as suggested by volvogirl is probably your best choice.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited July 2016
    Thats what I was afraid of.  I can put in the splits manually but was hoping the split could at least get started by the bank download.  Thank you all for your help!
    edited October 2018
    I really suggest doing as volvogirl suggests.  When working with a split, every line of the split has the common Payee of the main transaction.  If payee is something important to you to record for each item, your would have to put a note in the memo field and that would not make it show up in any report working off of payee.
    Also, depending on how often you go to the FI, you can be recording these individual transactions (with all the detail you want) as you receive them, rather than waiting till you make the deposit.  
    It also gives you a way to check your receipts on hand at any point in time.

edited July 2016
    So how do I transfer from the holding account to the bank account once it is deposited? I am sure quicken can do so much more than I understand! Right now I am entering this detail twice - sounds like I can just do it once and transfer it - which would be amazing!!
    edited October 2018
    See this link for some good videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac
    There is one on transfers.
    After each deposit (transfer), the balance of the intermediate account (IA) will be zero if you deposited all of the checks.  
    Note, we have always referred to these entries in the IA as checks, but they could they could be cash receipts also, so, anything that you are going to deposit into the FI, can be tracked through the IA.

edited July 2016
    Watched and yes that makes sense. What I am really trying to do is track detail on checks and have that detail show up both in the banking records and in individual accounts for the detail.  So for example I have a check from ABC co.  That check contains income from 3 different accounts.  I need to be able to see all the detail on each account - and keep clean bank books to show the income for each account. To date I have had a file for the bank  and a separate file for all the different accounts from various different companies.  It seemed like a decent plan except I have to enter all the exact same information in the bank split as I do in each individual account.  So, that said,I am not sure how to move into an IA which it what it sounds like I need to do to only have to enter the information once ( and that would be amazing since each check has several account and each account has a minimum of 4 - 5 lines of detailed split information so a single bank deposit split could contain 30-40 lines of split that has to be entered twice).  ideas?
    edited October 2018
    I can't visualize exactly what you are doing, so I don't have any better advice.  Hopefully, someone can chime in with some advice.

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like the Intermediate Holding Account idea would work for you.  Can you tell us what kind of accounts these are?  3 "accounts" on one check.  What are you getting paid for?  Like Rentals?  Is this business related?  You might need to use QuickBooks instead of Quicken.  Quicken is for personal finances.
    edited October 2018
    You say accounts, do you really mean categories?  That is something users confuse between formal business accounting practices and Quicken which is built as personal finance software.