Why am I not getting all transactions when downloading from Discover?

Mark ShaftonMark Shafton Member
edited October 2018 in

Using Quicken Deluxe 2016 for windows (10). When I download from Discover, I am not getting all of the transactions. The account does not reconcile and I have to figure out the missing transactions manually. So far I have been able to determine which transactions are missing and reconcile the account, so the missing transactions are reflected in the online balance, just not in the transaction detail. Any ideas what this problem might be?This started on Saturday 12/5. Prior to that it worked fine. All other accounts working fine. Also please note that windows and Quicken have all patches installed.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    On the Account List (Tools menu), what is listed for the connection type?  Direct Connect or Express Web Connect  
    Use Reply to respond.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• carl19992carl19992 Member
    edited July 2016
    In Quicken 2016, is your Discover Card set-up with Discover Card / Direct Connect?
  • Mark ShaftonMark Shafton Member
    edited February 2017
    express web connect
    edited February 2017
    express web connect
    edited July 2016
    Bad choice!   You need to set-up with Discover Card / Direct Connect.
    edited February 2017
    Its easy enough to change, but using web connect was at the specific direction of quicken support to resolve other issues with discover card downloads. That was in Quicken 2015. Do you know for certain that direct connect is the right solution in 2016? I would hate to just trade to a different set of problems making this change (again). Thanks!
    edited October 2018
    Using Direct Connect with Discover has always been the better choice.  I can not imagine what Quicken support was thinking advising you to use Express Web Connect or Web Connect unless it was a very short term solution.
    Deactivate Online Services for the account.  Make sure that you use Discover Card (not Discover Card Account Center), use Advanced Setup so that you can specifically select Direct Connect.
    You may get some dups with the first download, so be careful with it, after that, it should work as wanted.

edited February 2017
    OK. Thanks. I will give it a try. BTW at the time, I was either getting no information, late information (transactions up to a week old), or duplicates. The account would never reconcile, I would get transactions that were not reflected in the online balance and had to wait days for the online balance to catch up. Switching to express connect seemed to make the problems go away until I upgraded to 2016. Now the online balance includes transactions I never see.  Oh well!
    edited July 2016
    mshafton...   I have found set-up with choice, "Discover Card" again, DISCOVER CARD / Direct Connect works very well.  Only quirk I see, is with every One Step Update that downloads Discover transactions, I see one (bogus Discover transaction downloaded with no $ amount.  I just delete this single transaction each time.  This quirk is something caused on Discover's end and not by Quicken.
    edited October 2018
    [mention://4213519 @carl19992] You will find that the $0 transactions are due to transactions that have too much info to show on one line in the statement and Discover generates the $0 transaction with the payee being the overflow text of the second line.
    Like you state, you just need to delete them, they are meaningless.

edited July 2016
    Yes, I was aware of this.  Yes, easy to delete.