Why am I getting an "Unable to update bills" message when I do a OSU?

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in

This has been happening everyday for the past few days.  However, if I click Update All on the Bills tab, I don't get any error messages and today the page reflects an expected change to one of my billers.

Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    It's been several days now and I still get "Unable to update bills. Try again later"  after a OSU.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Knowing nothing about it (always dangerous) other than linked billing is the new Express Web Connect for screen scraping billers; the "Update All" on the Bills tab may be a process similar to "Update Now" from EWC registers where it makes a connection to the biller website rather than just relying on the data residing on the aggregator. Just like stale account balances and transactions on the EWC aggregator can be refreshed as long as there are no screen scraping scripting errors, I'll bet Q added a routine to kick start stuck biller data.

As time goes on linked billers will settle into the same reliability as seen with EWC FI's.
    edited January 22
    I'm responding to that as an end user who's using a feature that does not work.

That is not helpful at all.
    edited January 11
    Sorry, I was just trying to make a point that the new feature is built on a platform with no standard structure (EWC-like screen scraping) so it's reliability will limited by design to that seen with EWC. The resources each of the 3rd party aggregators applies to fixing broken connections will vary. But Quicken is still handling the script repair for both routines and linked billing will add script repair workload. I doubt the increased workload has been offset with new resources so both EWC and linked billers will likely suffer longer outages as a result.
    edited January 22
    I understand and I hope you understand that I was also trying to make a point.

Although I find all the technical background interesting, when I pose a question here I have my end user cap on.

What I want to hear is a solution to the problem or be told that this is a known issue that will be fixed.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    "What I want to hear is a solution to the problem or be told that this is a known issue that will be fixed".

Sorry, but that's not how it works.
    We (other users) have no obligation to provide either - we offer the best information we have, which we can not guarantee will please; and if you spend much time here, you know that Intuit very rarely announces what they are fixing.

On the specific subject of Express Web Connect, neither of your choices is even possible here.
    For Express Web Connect problems that do not have a Quicken knowledge base article (or have an article that does not fix the problem), users are expected to contact Quicken Support, and have Support escalate the problem to the Intuit Express Web Connect scripts team.
    From that point on, no particular acknowledgement or progress report should be expected from Intuit and no one here can provide any insights: you just wait, and hope the scripts team fixes the problem ... which may take several days or several weeks, or ....
    edited January 22
    [mention://67948 @NoWayJose] Unless an employee can step in and provide a better answer, then contact Quicken support seems to be the best one.
    edited January 22
    Since I posted this question I'm still getting an "Unable to update bills" error after a OSU, except on 12/28. Update All on the Bills tab does work however.

Since Online Bills is a new feature, I'm still interested in hearing from anyone else who has this issue or has a solution.

I don't think a SU should close a post just because they don't care for a comment made by the OP, I have a valid question and a satisfactory response has not been provided, so please leave this post open.

Thank you.
  • edited July 2016
    I agree that this item should not have been closed to replies.  I'm getting the same problem repeatedly, though I'm not able to update bills by any means.  I opened a similar question just now because this item had been closed to replies and followers.
    edited January 22
    Thank you for your support! :smile:
  • edited July 2016
    I just found the "update all" under the "bills" tab you mentioned.  It does work, contrary to my previous comment.  I hadn't seen that before.  Makes this sound like a timing design issue.  The code is there to handle bill updates, but Quicken decided not to let it do its thing during OSU.
    edited January 22
    This was working at first, then this problem started when I do a OSU.  Update All never displays an error message, so it always appears to be working.

This is a new feature, so if enough people report this, they will look into it.  No one has said this came up in Beta testing yet.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    "I don't think a SU should close a post just because they don't care for a comment made by the OP".

I closed the discussion because it did not seem likely that there was going to be any more light shed on the subject; and because you (RichMNY) said: " Unless an employee can step in and provide a better answer, then contact Quicken support seems to be the best one". I agree.

Since "employees" (and super-users) can re-open a discussion to "provide a better answer" any time they like, there seemed (and still seems) little reason to leave this discussion open. Having a bunch of users posting "me too" responses (often with nasty accompaniment) isn't helpful (and for those who want to be counted as having the same problem, not even necessary: there's a "Me Too" button on the original post in every discussion. That button works even when the discussion is closed.)

As has been noted in the Community many times, a discussion does not need to remain open in order for a problem solution/workaround to be provided. It happens quite often.
    edited January 22
    [mention://67948 @NoWayJose] Since this is a new feature that people are just starting to use, I'm interested in who else is experiencing the issue and what they have to say.

I personally cannot say that no one else can shed any light on it or contribute any further constructive comments, so I request that this post remain open for a while.
    edited January 11
    "What I want to hear is a solution to the problem or be told that this is a known issue that will be fixed."  

Constructive comment (IMHO)-
    I've heard somewhere You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need. Screen scraping biller sites that tend to change website layouts more often than EWC FI's, will never perform more reliably than EWC screen scraping. "Fixing" will always be reactive rather than proactive unless an OFX-like download structure is adopted and implemented cooperatively by billers and aggregators, i.e.; not any time in the foreseeable future based on EWC history.
    edited January 22
    [mention://53512 @markus1957] What you're basically saying is that this feature is poorly designed and can never be expected to work reliably.  That's too bad because this is the only new feature in 2016, IMO,  with enough added value to warrant an upgrade. If they can also add the ability to retrieve the PDF statements as someone else suggested, that would make it big time saver.

I'm just trying this out because I found it interesting and it looked promising.  I can easily abandon it and go back to using unlinked Bill Reminders alone, they always worked for me without any issues.
    edited January 11
    No. It's adequately designed, but the technology available limits its capability and reliability. As a marketing tool for Mint Bills, I understand Intuit's motive to incorporate it.