Web Connect no longer available for banks not in the list

jbajorjbajor Member
edited October 2018 in

It would appear that since 2.6.2 upgrades (including 2.8) Web Connect is no longer an option for any bank or financial institution unless it appears in the list!?  What gives?  Will this be changed back? Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Nothing new with that concept.  To do any import of downloaded information, whether it is by Direct Connect, Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect for Windows) or Web Connect, the financial institution has to be listed in the fidir.txt file for your version of Quicken.  It is the FI that decides to what level they support Quicken.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    Wow!  That's crazy!  I am with LPL financial, it is not in the list but web connect has worked for years prior to the recent upgrade
  • jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    Btw, LPL financial has a 'download to quicken' button to export the file which is what I always did until now I get the FI error...  Seems that the upgrade DID now force quicken to check the list where it did not before.
    edited October 2018
    LPL supports Quicken for Windows via Web Connect (you download the file from the website manually), but I checked the fidir.txt file for QM2015, they are not listed.
    You need to complain to LPL, it is their decision as to their level of participation.

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    Precisely!  Quicken, however, no longer supports even web connect if the FI is not in the fidir.txt file.  That part is new with the upgrades.
    edited October 2018
    I'll repeat my last statement: "You need to complain to LPL, it is their decision as to their level of participation."

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    splasher, I hear you and am doing just that...  that said, why did Quicken change the requirements for web connect?  LPL still thinks that they have given permission by providing the download link
    edited October 2018
    Now I'll repeat again: "LPL supports Quicken for Windows via Web Connect (you download the file from the website manually), but I checked the fidir.txt file for QM2015, they are not listed."

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    You are absolutely correct.  There is no argument there.  My point is, 1 month ago, Quicken did NOT care if, when doing web connect, the FI was on the fidir.txt or not.  Since then, it now checks the list.  That is ALL I am saying.  I AM working with LPL to have them get on the list as the fact that my web connect with them is now broken is a big deal.  I have only been looking for a reason from Quicken as to why they changed the lookup logic for this?
    edited October 2018
    What proof do you have that LPL was not in the list a month ago?  What is to say that LPL didn't just drop support for Mac?

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I marked this one follow, because I wanted to see what Intuit was going say about it (and I hope they do post something official, but I doubt they will).

I'm not a Mac user and neither is Splasher, but I know a few things about the Mac product, and I was wondering when this would change.  At this point, I'm not sure if the change is accidental, needed because of the security problems, or because just a general policy change, but I do believe jbajor is right and it is an Intuit change not a financial institution change.

A bit of history.  When Intuit started supporting the OFX standard they decided that they needed more control of it, which I think most of it was to support the charging of the financial institution support fees, but it is also used to make sure they control if the user can use it past a certain time.  This is when they created QFX, which is OFX with the financial institution information.  This is the basis for Web Connect and Direct Connect.

What this means to the user is from day one on the Windows side (and I think on the Mac side), even if you are doing a manual import (Web Connect), that import first checks that the financial institution is on the "participating partners" list.  Not only does this give control over where these downloads can come from, it also means that Quicken can check to make sure that a version is within the 3 year support period and then block the import if it isn't.  This has been true of the Windows side from the beginning.
    And I do believe it was true of the Mac side too.

But then came Quicken Essentials for Mac.  It was written to be much more open.  It has supported OFX files not just QFX files.  As in these files do not have the financial institution information, and of course there is no check for the financial institution.
    The user does have to tell it what account to import into though.

This surprised me when I first heard about it, because clearly it works around/defeats one of the purposes of the QFX format.
    Most likely the main reason it was allowed in, in the first place, was the lack of features, and as the result lack of user base.  Most people had stayed on Quicken 2007 Mac.  Which probably had the same restrictions that the Windows side had, but because of the problems with people not going to Quicken Essentials, they just never expired it (at least not in the past, nothing to stop them doing it any time they want, once they feel that Quicken 2015/2016/... fills enough features).

So it sounds to me that the time of Mac users skating around the restrictions that were in place for Windows and most likely the old Mac products has come to an end because the product is now no longer an "experiment" and it needs to pay its way.
    Most likely there are still some "holes" like say importing OFX files, but the idea that was in Quicken Essentials for Mac, that the users would have free downloading forever is coming to an end.
  • jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    QuicknPerlWiz, that makes complete sense and you clearly understand the issue perfectly!  LPL was never on the list as I would check it periodically.  I would love to get a comment from Quicken.  Their tech folks have no idea of the change and simply have you reinstall etc...  I have calls out to LPL as well to try and understand both their position as well as future plans.  Thank you for bringing clarity and understanding to my original question!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hint.  Rename file from .QFX to .OFX and see what happens.
  • jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    I tried and still get :  This FI is inactive, we cannot connect.

My LPL accounts were deactivated on the advice of Quicken tech support in an attempt to fix the problem originally...  lol!  Now I can't reactivate them as they are not on the list....
    edited October 2018
    How long ago was this done?  Do you have a backup from before that you could restore and bring up to date without too much effort?

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    thats for the thought splasher...  I thought of restoring off of time machine  from a month ago but it will be a royal pain getting my data up to date for all the other accounts I have...  I was hoping quicken or LPL would work things out so I would not have to...  I'm keeping that as a last resort.
  • jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    I meant to type 'thanks for the thought'
    edited October 2018
    You can always make a new backup, then do the restore of the old file and see if it acts any differently and is even an alternative.

• jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016
    good idea!  I'll try it tonight
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wild guess on the renaming not working.  Both OFX (which are sometimes called MS Money format) and the QFX are going through the same code, and Quicken determines what it is going to do based on if it finds the financial institution information or not.  As such the suffix of the file doesn't matter, what matters is what is in the file.
    Maybe your financial institution has the data in OFX/MS Money format?

One thing would be interesting to look at in the QFX file would be the INTU.BID number.
    This is a special number that Intuit assigns to a each institution.
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Primary reasons for server retirements are defects and security concerns. The old QOL servers had to be retired (decommissioned) in order to upgrade to current security technology. Security of our customers financial data is top priority for Quicken.

There was a defect on the now-defunct servers that allowed non-branded, unsupported FI's to import data into Quicken. That is the only reason you could do this prior to 2.6.0 patch, which was the cutover to the new server process ahead of the QOL server retirement.

Beginning with 2.6.0 and the new, upgraded and current server system, Quicken will validate the FI data before allowing import as part of the security measures this new system implements. Any attempt to return to pre-2.6.x version will result in all online services failing for the Quicken Mac user, as that version will attempt to connect to a server system that is no longer there.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Primary reasons for server retirements are defects and security concerns. The old QOL servers had to be retired (decommissioned) in order to upgrade to current security technology. Security of our customers financial data is top priority for Quicken.

There was a defect on the now-defunct servers that allowed non-branded, unsupported FI's to import data into Quicken. That is the only reason you could do this prior to 2.6.0 patch, which was the cutover to the new server process ahead of the QOL server retirement.

Beginning with 2.6.0 and the new, upgraded and current server system, Quicken will validate the FI data before allowing import as part of the security measures this new system implements. Any attempt to return to pre-2.6.x version will result in all online services failing for the Quicken Mac user, as that version will attempt to connect to a server system that is no longer there.

Thanks for clarifying this Quicken Tamara.
  • jbajorjbajor Member
    edited July 2016

Absolutely!  thank you Tamara!!!  finally a very clear explanation! Now we need to continue to push on LPL to get on the list!
  • w_mcdowellw_mcdowell Member
    edited July 2016

Agree thank you for addressing the issue. My question is for 401k providers or small banks what is the process to get them on the list? Where can we send these FI's to get included on the list? And finally in lieu of getting on the list have you considered allowing us the users a manual work around to import QFX files with proper warning of the risks we are taking?
    edited July 2016

Follow on question. Does the same process apply to OFX files?
  • rlt19119rlt19119 Member
    edited July 2016

Good answer.  You might share this info with your Chat support people.  They are clueless.
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@w_mcdowell - see http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/GEN82145.html for requesting a financial institution be added.

Any file import, QFX/OFX, would still have to validate against the servers. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is SECURITY. Financial institutions that get added for Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect are not charged a fee by Intuit, so that argument is immediately moot. However, there's still an internet connection and confidential information is transmitted, and the security of that connection must be confirmed and supported. You're not just risking your data, but anybody who connects through the same servers.
    edited July 2016

Happy to see a response. I don't understand how me downloading a QFX/OFX file from an FI and importing without online validation from Intuit puts anyone's data at risk other then my own. Regardless I have submitted FI on the list so I can once again import my 401k transaction. Hope it happens soon; would like to be able to upgrade to 2016 when it comes out.
  • secaplansecaplan Member
    edited July 2016

Yes!  I have been dealing with this for weeks.  Your support people have NO CLUE about this problem and consistently blamed me and the FI.  Please fix this issue.
  • spoyzerspoyzer Member
    edited July 2016
    Several times since upgrading to Quicken for Mac 2015 I have encountered problems with Quicken's "Web Connect" and my bank. Up until a week ago I was able to correct the issue, now however every attempt to sync Quicken to my bank has been a failure. This is disappointing on several levels, first because I have tried every remedy suggested by Quicken top no avail, secondly even attempts at creating and syncing a new account have met with disappointment and lastly Quicken is currently urging me to spend my resources to upgrade to the next version, when the current version has failed miserably to perform. Sorry Quicken, no upgrade until you correct the issues users are currently experiencing.