Quicken Adding 0 Share Placeholders

2»

Comments

• txpakitxpaki Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    mshiggins said:
    I have not had an issue until I upgraded to Q2016.  And even then it's an annoyance and not a problem.  
    My investment accounts are suddenly creating unnecessary placeholder entries.  The entries are for "+0 shares", so they are not impacting my total number of shares nor my account balances.  I've owned these shares for years, there has been no change in name, there has been no change in the number of shares, and no change in share-class.  I'm getting placeholder entries for "+0 shares" for every stock and mutual fund I own.  The total amount of shares indicated in the placeholder entry is for the same number of shares indicated in the prior entry for that investment.  That tells me either it's a bug in Q2016 that is creating unnecessary placeholder entries or it's for a decimal difference that is too many decimal places out to be shown.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    mshiggins said:
    " ... they are not impacting my total number of shares nor my account balances".

Please note the original post in this discussion: the original poster is saying share balances were changed by placeholders. If you do not have that problem, you are likely in the wrong discussion.
  • The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    mshiggins said:
    I am actually seeing both of the issues that you mentioned...

As an example, here are two funds that I had as of 3/18:

American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - 4,474.6306
    Fidelity Contrafund - 467.4479

After a download on 4/3, I had placeholder entries on 3/31 for the above accounts of:

American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - +0
    American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - +8.1523
    Fidelity Contrafund - +0.0001
    Fidelity Contrafund - +0.9581

The download showed the following purchases on 4/1:

American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - 18.8388
    Fidelity Contrafund - 2.02

There are additional placeholder entries on 4/3 for the following amounts:

American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - +4,485.3175
    Fidelity Contrafund - +468.5088

These last two placeholder entries essentially double the amount of shares for those funds. And if you look at them, the amount of these placeholders are the amount of the shares owned on 3/18 plus the placeholders that were added on 3/31, but do not include the amount purchased on 4/1.

My actual share balance as of 4/1 for these funds are as follows:

American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund - 4,493.4694
    Fidelity Contrafund - 469.4679

If you look at the starting share balance and the ending share balance, that is exactly the amount that was added via the contributions on 4/1.

I'll post later with an example of the +0 shares placeholder entry, although I do have one listed above.

- Merg
  • tspipertspiper Member
    edited July 2016
    mshiggins said:
    Let's be clear.  Something changed in Quicken 2016.  I have had a Scottrade account for over 4 years using the latest Quicken every year and never encountered the '+0 shares' placeholder.  Now I get a '+0 shares' placeholder for every single stock(not mutual funds) in my account after a dividend entry occurs!  I had over 700 of these.  It is maddening.  I would like Quicken to acknowledge that something was changed with regards to these placeholders and help their customers out.  Thank you.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:
    If there is something different in QW2016 regarding placeholders, it's not impacting all users. I download from Fidelity, LPL, and Ameritrade. I do not get any placeholders, zero or otherwise.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    mshiggins said:
    "Let's be clear. Something changed in Quicken 2016".

Let's be clear: no one said otherwise.

"I would like Quicken to acknowledge that something was changed with regards to these placeholders ....".

That's not what this Community is for - your expectations are not realistic.  
    We may be able to help you troubleshoot a problem; but even that is not guaranteed.
    Occasionally, Intuit does comment or post an announcement here, but that is rare, and should not be assumed.

You're welcome to report the issue at the Feedback site, though you should not expect any acknowledgment.
    https://www.research.net/s/QuickenFeedback
    Vote for at least one existing suggestion, then key your comments in the "Did we forget ...." box.
  • edited July 2016
    I am having the same issues and reported this numerous times. This appears to have been broken with the 2016 version of Quicken for Windows. I get a placeholder transaction for every fund in an investment account for 0 shares any time there is a transaction downloaded. This causes me to have to delete about 100 garbage transactions a month. I also only do downloads and don't enter anything manually and have turned off the compare. Quicken has not responded to my numerous requests to fix this. So if anyone has a fix, I would also appreciate it.
  • idid Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm getting them (placeholders with +0 shares) too. If I take time to delete them, they reappear with yesterday's date upon a one-step-update. Arggg. No clue why.
  • idid Member
    edited July 2016
    mshiggins said:
    I'm getting them (placeholders with +0 shares) too with Q16 that seem completely superfluous. If I take time to delete them, they reappear with yesterday's date upon a one-step-update. This happens to over four investment accounts from Schwab, that are either brokerage or 401K/IRA accounts. Arggg. No clue why, and it didn't happen with Q15. I've read this entire thread and haven't found any answers yet. All share values are full shares, no fractional parts.
  • idid Member
    edited July 2016
    I reset the connection to my investment firm and it *seems* to have fixed the issue. Your results may vary!