Downloaded proces are being dated the next day

Larry DuncanLarry Duncan Member
edited October 2018 in
I use Quiclen 2011 Deluxe.  When I download mutual fund prices they are showing in price history as of the next day's date.    The current day's price is set equal to the previous day's price.

Comments

• RickDetroitRickDetroit Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This appears to be a known issue, although I'm not clear whether it is a Quicken bug or an issue with the data provider that sends these prices to Quicken.  I just verified that it was NOT fixed with Release 8.   A few others on this board  have similarly noted this, although I'm surprised that more haven't raised the issue.

I'm finding that the problem you describe happens to some mutual funds, but not others.  On any given day, a particular mutual fund might exhibit the problem, another day that same fund will download perfectly.  At first I thought it was file corruption, but have since come to believe that is not true.  I have 3 different Quicken files, created at various points in time, and they all exhibit this problem.  Oddly, the same mutual fund in one file might show the problem and in another file it doesn't.  Then the next day a totally different result.  

Hopefully a few more of us will raise the same complaint and the fix will get hastened (???).
  • big_onlinebig_online Member
    edited July 2016

This appears to be a known issue, although I'm not clear whether it is a Quicken bug or an issue with the data provider that sends these prices to Quicken.  I just verified that it was NOT fixed with Release 8.   A few others on this board  have similarly noted this, although I'm surprised that more haven't raised the issue.

I'm finding that the problem you describe happens to some mutual funds, but not others.  On any given day, a particular mutual fund might exhibit the problem, another day that same fund will download perfectly.  At first I thought it was file corruption, but have since come to believe that is not true.  I have 3 different Quicken files, created at various points in time, and they all exhibit this problem.  Oddly, the same mutual fund in one file might show the problem and in another file it doesn't.  Then the next day a totally different result.  

Hopefully a few more of us will raise the same complaint and the fix will get hastened (???).

I too have the exact same problem. At first I thought it was the time of day I ran the download. Some days all my funds update. Most days they do not. Some work some days and others the next. By Saturday I seem to be up to date because the market is closed.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    From the posts I have seen here and in the Quicken Inner Circle it seems to be a service provider problem, but for some reason very hard to find out why it is doing it, so it goes on.  Intuit is trying to fix it.

From my own personal experience of using Quicken over the years, I have seen this problem on an off, lots of times over many versions of Quicken and with the old service provider too, so I don't know what it really is, but usually it isn't a BIG problem because the next day I download and the new quotes replace the old ones.
    edited November 2016
    QPW said:

From the posts I have seen here and in the Quicken Inner Circle it seems to be a service provider problem, but for some reason very hard to find out why it is doing it, so it goes on.  Intuit is trying to fix it.

From my own personal experience of using Quicken over the years, I have seen this problem on an off, lots of times over many versions of Quicken and with the old service provider too, so I don't know what it really is, but usually it isn't a BIG problem because the next day I download and the new quotes replace the old ones.

Thanks for the comment, QuinPerlWiz..  Maybe I have two problems then -  because the problem for me is that when I do download those prices the next day (either via regular update or specifically for Historical prices), the old incorrect prior day price is not changed.  Unless I'm missing something, this means I have to manually delete the second instance of any repeated prices or that date never fills correctly.  Unless there is an setting I don't know about that controls this.

So, as an example:
    1)Run Instant Update on 3/15 (say early, before market close) and see that 3/14 prices are fine, but that in some cases the 3/14 prices are repeated in the 3/15 date field as well.
    2)Run Instant Update on 3/16 and then see that any incorrect prices previously posted to 3/15 are still there.
    3)Next Run Historical Update for an individual security still showing an incorrect price for 3/15 - that price stays there.

Rick
    edited October 2018
    Clarification on using the Download Historical Price function as a workaround to fix these incorrect prices:

I just tested some data and here is what I see happening:

Yes, downloading these historical prices will overwrite incorrect existing data with the correct prices.  But when I've tried this, for this morning as an example, yesterday's prices are still wrong (the reason, I believe, as I outline below).  Thankfully, though, any older prices are corrected as expected.

I have a feeling that Historical Prices available today, for example, simply do not include yesterday's price data (so that any incorrect price for the prior day will not be overwritten and will still show until a later date or time).  I concluded this based on a little experiment with a few of my funds.  Maybe this is only true in the morning when I try this, and maybe Historical Price don't include the prior day's data until late in the day (I'm wondering, but I don't know).

I attempted to test this by manually deleting a week's worth of price data from several mutual funds.  Then I ran the Historical price update.   Sure enough, all updated prices were 100% correct, but no prices or date were shown at all just for yesterday (implying that Quicken's Historical price function simply doesn't include the immediately prior days prices in its database).  

At least, until the original issue is fixed, only the prior day prices have the potential to be wrong (assuming I run Download Historical Prices each day).  It beats manual correction if you have a lot of funds.  But I hope they fix this - whether it's a software issue or a data transmission issue.   I'd like to use Quicken each morning to monitor yesterday's results, but I'll forgo this until fixed.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Clarification on using the Download Historical Price function as a workaround to fix these incorrect prices:

Yes, downloading these historical prices will overwrite incorrect existing data with the correct prices.  But when I've tried this, for this morning as an example, yesterday's prices are still wrong (the reason, I believe, as I outline below).  Thankfully, though, any older prices are corrected as expected.

I have a feeling that Historical Prices available today, for example, simply do not include yesterday's price data (so that any incorrect price for the prior day will not be overwritten and will still show until a later date or time).  I concluded this based on a little experiment with a few of my funds.  Maybe this is only true in the morning when I try this, and maybe Historical Price don't include the prior day's data until late in the day (I'm wondering, but I don't know).

I attempted to test this by manually deleting a week's worth of price data from several mutual funds.  Then I ran the Historical price update.   Sure enough, all updated prices were 100% correct, but no prices or date were shown at all just for yesterday (implying that Quicken's Historical price function simply doesn't include the immediately prior days prices in its database).  

At least, until the original issue is fixed, only the prior day prices have the potential to be wrong (assuming I run Download Historical Prices each day).  It beats manual correction if you have a lot of funds.  But I hope they fix this - whether it's a software issue or a data transmission issue.   I'd like to use Quicken each morning to monitor yesterday's results, but I'll forgo this until fixed.

I guess I have just been lucky with the my prices been corrected.

Anyway I do know they are working on it, and hopefully they will get it fixed.
    edited November 2016

Here is what I believe to be a better, easier, much faster temporary workaround than manual pricing corrections.  I've tried this for 2 days, with error-less results.  I've listed a few caveats for special circumstances at the end of this.

Until this price download issue is ultimately resolved by Intuit or their data provider, this will at least accurately get the correct closing prices of all securities that reside in your brokerage accounts into Quicken for you  (assuming those brokerages supply the correct info in the first place, of course).  It won't give high, low prices or volumes and it won't supply data for investments that you track without having account positions - just the broker-reported closing prices for the day.  Still, for many of us, this should beat manual deletion of intermittent duplicate prices to correctly maintain price data.

Here is all you need to do:
    When running your daily One Step Updates, skip the "Get quotes and investment information" step.  Uncheck the box.

The closing price of mutual funds, stocks, etf's etc. will still be populated by data from your broker or account provider.  The high-low prices and volumes will be missing (blank), but whatever closing prices your provider uses on your statements will appear in Quicken for the correct date in that correct field.   

I'm assuming that either these closing prices are part of the data set that theses companies pass to Quicken, or that Quicken computes them from the balance and quantity data supplies.  These are normally overwritten when you run the "Get Quotes" or the historical quotes functions.  Whichever, this has worked with multiple accounts and two brokerages in my case, so I think you might find it helpful.  It takes no real time, and at some point you can always update historical prices for a more complete data history.  The brokerages that I tested this with are Charles Schwab and T Rowe Price - but I'm hoping everybody conforms to the same protocols.  

As far as I can see, assuming this workaround need is temporary, the only interim disadvantages are
    1)no intra-day data (stocks, etf's) if you normally get quotes during the trading day
    2)if you track prices of securities in Quicken that you don't hold, no data.
    3)If you use Quicken investment information, no info.
    4)Since this only fills in price data for the prior day, you would have to run this every day for your pricing file to be complete (or just run it when you can, and then the historical price update function to fill in missing data - realizing you may then have to delete some redundant current day data until the original problem gets fixed).

Hope this helps.  It's saved me a lot of time these past few days.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

RickDetroit wrote:  "Here is what I believe to be a better, easier, much faster temporary workaround ..."

That is a viable alternate approach and you have accurately summarized the drawbacks.  A variation of that approach will overcome some of those drawbacks.  That variation would be to edit the list of securities to be included in the Download Quotes funcction to exclude each MF.  (There are a variety of way s to that list, but the "Select Quotes" option on the One-step update screen is an easy access point.)  Then you can continue to have Quicken Download Quotes as part of OSU; the MF will not be included.
  • Larry DuncanLarry Duncan Member
    edited November 2016

Since Monday of this week I have been using historical prices download and it seems to be working.  I tried a one step update as described above (to get prices) and my custodian did not provide current day prices.  I use Schwab.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Auggie wrote:  "I tried a one step update as described above (to get prices) and my custodian did not provide current day prices."

I believe with some (perhaps most FIs), if there are no transactions, they send nothing, meaning no prices.  My gut tells me MF familes are more likely to send prices without transactions, but I have not checked that specifically.
    edited November 2016

qlurker - Many thanks for the advice!  Yes, that does indeed make for an improved workaround.  Great idea.

Auggie - Doing this, you wouldn't get current day prices.  You would be getting prices for whatever day they are supplying transactions for (which would generally be yesterday, or the last prior business day).  

So, using Schwab as an example (since that's what I'm actually doing too), if you download brokerage transactions today (and DON'T get the Quicken quotes too), you would be getting  yesterday's transactions and then end up with  yesterday's prices for all securities with current positions.  And I'm not sure whether Schwab is sending prices (actually I don't think so), but they are sending shares and amounts and I'm thinking maybe Quicken is populating the price field by simply dividing the two.  Either way that it's working internally, I end up with yesterdays price (not the high and low, just closing) for each security held in my account (but no data for other securities, just the ones in my account).

As of this morning, I am still experiencing the original issue with price history that started this thread.