Home

Communications error when registering Quicken 2010 R10 or setting up a Bank Account

Jim RhodesJim Rhodes Member
edited January 2019 in
This problem just started.  I have removed and reinstalled quicken on my desktop PC.  I have put Quicken on a laptop to test to see if it is my network or the desktop PC.  It works fine on the laptop.

When I try to register or set up a bank account I get an error that Quicken cannot access the Internet.

Here is the error in CONNLOG.TXT

20100917 16:17:31: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1900/fib.dll
20100917 16:17:37: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186457
20100917 16:17:37: Cannot find error string for 67186457, please check IC TechNotes QuickBase
20100917 16:17:37: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1900/fib.dll, netstatus 36
20100917 16:17:37:

I can access the bank web sites and other sites with Internet Explorer.

I have disabled my AV/Anti-spyware program.
There is no firewall running on the desktop PC

Note the laptop will connect through just fine.

Any ideas what may be causing this issue?

Thank you,

Jim R

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jim,

Nicely documented "trouble ticket" - this is rare.

I'm grasping here, but recall issues with Net Framework causing problems.  Don't recall if affects connectivity or not, but here is one article to check http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/online-services/download/7876.html
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Another place to look at is what Quicken thinks it knows about it's Internet connection.
    Take a look at (click at) Edit / Preferences / Internet Connection Setup. Unless you have some special requirements, the bullet item "Use my computer's Internet connection ..." should be checked, then click Next and walk through the process.

Hope that helps.
    ukr
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Intuit says that when the problem is with "https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit", you should contact Quicken tech support.

But since it works on one computer, but not the other, I'd be more inclined to think the problem is on that computer.  If you're getting an OL-297 error, here is the faq for that (there are a number of environment issues mentioned in the faq).

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/online-services/download/4151.html
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Intuit says that when the problem is with "https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit", you should contact Quicken tech support.

But since it works on one computer, but not the other, I'd be more inclined to think the problem is on that computer.  If you're getting an OL-297 error, here is the faq for that (there are a number of environment issues mentioned in the faq).

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/online-services/download/4151.html

NWJ, your first link is bad.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

GeoffG,
    I don't think that link to ofx-prod-brand-intuit was meant to be clicked on, even though highlighted by the browser. It was a reference to messages in the original post.
    I'm still hoping for Jim R to come back and report on his findings about my suggestion, checking Quicken's Internet Connection Setup. That appears to me as a likely candidate / cause for his problem.

ukr
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

"I don't think that link to ofx-prod-brand-intuit was meant to be clicked on, even though highlighted by the browser. It was a reference to messages in the original post".

Correct.

It's wasn't intended (by me) to be a link   It was just supposed to be text that a reader could use to identify whether they should contact intuit or their financial institution.  I didn't realize that it would get posted as a link.
  • Chris54322Chris54322 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Nicely documented.  Just a few things I noticed.  "ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com" is trying talking to Intuit's machines (it is trying to download the information for each financial institution), so you haven't even got to the point where your financial institution is involved.  And of course it is failing.

One of the best tests for seeing this visually is given in the link that NoWayJose provided, but unfortunately for Quicken 2010 the steps to take have the wrong menu items.  It says Tools -> Quicken on the Web -> Quicken.com.  In reality it should be to go to the "More From Quicken" tab and make sure that information there displays, because this is just an embedded web page, and if it gets an error it is because Quicken can't use the Internet for some reason.  If you don't see the "More From Quicken" tab see if you have turned it off on the Setup tab.  The rest of the document applies to some things that can go wrong.  Which even though not mentioned in that document GeoffG's document might help since Quicken does use the Net Framework to talk to the internet and if it is having problems it could also be the problem.

Having the second machine working is great because now you know it isn't something like your router or any part of the network that they share.  It has to be on that machine.
  • Jim RhodesJim Rhodes Member
    edited July 2016

Nicely documented.  Just a few things I noticed.  "ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com" is trying talking to Intuit's machines (it is trying to download the information for each financial institution), so you haven't even got to the point where your financial institution is involved.  And of course it is failing.

One of the best tests for seeing this visually is given in the link that NoWayJose provided, but unfortunately for Quicken 2010 the steps to take have the wrong menu items.  It says Tools -> Quicken on the Web -> Quicken.com.  In reality it should be to go to the "More From Quicken" tab and make sure that information there displays, because this is just an embedded web page, and if it gets an error it is because Quicken can't use the Internet for some reason.  If you don't see the "More From Quicken" tab see if you have turned it off on the Setup tab.  The rest of the document applies to some things that can go wrong.  Which even though not mentioned in that document GeoffG's document might help since Quicken does use the Net Framework to talk to the internet and if it is having problems it could also be the problem.

Having the second machine working is great because now you know it isn't something like your router or any part of the network that they share.  It has to be on that machine.

Thank you all for your input.  So far you have given me better response than Intuit Support.  They seem to be reading from a script and not listening to me.  I get this a lot when dealing with support at other companies.
    Most are "off-shore"

I have removed and reinstalled all .NET Framework versions.  

I have checked the setting in Internet Exporer  - Security and Privacy.

I have made sure that IE is set to automatically detect the LAN is not using a proxy.

I can access the banks using their web sites on the PC in question.  Everything works except Quicken!

I have checked the internet connection in Quicken by going to the sites via the Quicken links and can do so.

You are right the first stage of the issue is my Quicken Installation is not accessing the Intuit.com site
    for either registration or data updates.  Then of course it is not accessing the financial instituations.  Arrgghh!

If this was one of my PCs at work I would slick the hard drive and start over.  I do not want to do it on my home desktop until it is my last resort.

I have been E-Mailing back and forth with Quicken Support.  They pretty much refer me to links I have tried before.  Looking at my Symantec End Point Protection logs my PC is not blocking access to "https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit" and neither is my router.   I also have disabled SEP too.

Quicken is working on my work laptop but I do not want to keep Quicken on it just in case I forget to remove it before turning it in or passing the laptop on to something else.

Jim R
    edited August 2016
    It always a hard problem when it is something on the machine preventing Quicken from accessing the Internet.
    And yes Intuit Support is in India.

It wasn't clear to me, if you got an error on the "More From Quicken" tab.
    I suggest you try it in safe mode.  I saw it suggested on one of the support pages, and tried it on my machine and it works.  It is certainly worth a try since lots of stuff will be disabled in that mode.

What OS are you using by the way?

Also just to make sure it isn't your data file, have you tried creating a new data file and one account, and then the download?
    edited July 2016

It always a hard problem when it is something on the machine preventing Quicken from accessing the Internet.

I suggest you try it in safe mode.  I saw it suggested on one of the support pages, and tried it on my machine and it works.  It is certainly worth a try since lots of stuff will be disabled in that mode.

Also just to make sure it isn't your data file, have you tried creating a new data file and one account, and then the download?

Thank you Chris,

My OS is WinXP SP3

I have not tried it in safe mode yet

When I got to the More From Quicken Tab the Quicken Services comes up with the add for the Credit Card.
    When I select Quicken Picks  it comes up stating that they no longer offer the service.

Will try safe mode next.
    edited July 2016

Ok - Tried it in safe mode.  No difference.
    Quicken will not connect to register the software and will not find any information when I try to add an account at a bank.

Very wierd!
    edited September 2018
    What you see on the "More From Quicken" tab is correct, which means that Quicken is being allowed to connect to the internet.

You said: "Quicken will not connect to register the software and will not find any information when I try to add an account at a bank."

This was done in a new Quicken data file right?

If yes, well then it isn't your data file, and it sounds like it is have the same problem where it can't download even the financial institution information.

What you removed and retinstalled Quicken did you use QCleanUI?
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/getting-started/installation/4108.html

Frankly if that isn't it, I'm out of ideas.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

What you see on the "More From Quicken" tab is correct, which means that Quicken is being allowed to connect to the internet.

You said: "Quicken will not connect to register the software and will not find any information when I try to add an account at a bank."

If yes, well then it isn't your data file, and it sounds like it is have the same problem where it can't download even the financial institution information.

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/getting-started/installation/4108.html

Jim,
    A couple of days ago I posted about checking Quicken's Internet Connection Setup. Did you do that, by any chance?
    And just to verify ... Have you also checked that the firewall / antivirus / Internet-protection software that you are using includes a rule that says something like "Program C:<full correct path name here>qw.exe is allowed to establish outbound Internet connections using protocols TCP and UDP"?
    edited July 2016

urk -

Yes I reviewd the Quicken Internet Connection Set up and did all that was in it.

I will recheck my Symantec Endpoint Protection configuration.  I am  not blocking anything outbound but will double check the settings to make sure.

Chris54322 -

I have removed and reinstalled Quicken again and used the QCLEAN UI Tools and instructions.

Still cannot register and no comms for Quicken but now when I try to register I get a message stating there is a problem with this website's security certificate.  When I click on Continue to this website nothing happens.  I have doublechecked the date and time on the PC and can access my bank's secured web page via IE8.

I will also run another spy/malware scan

Jim R
    edited August 2016
    I suggest that you don't just "check the settings" on all these programs(firewall/virus/spyware/...).  I suggest that you disable them completely, just for the testing.  And to the point "not blocking anything outbound", well that doesn't mean that the inbound isn't blocked, which would certainly mess up Quicken.

Just saw this in another thread I think it might be your problem.  (Basically an Intuit problem that you can workaround).
    https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/dwUKCkXeur36_DacfArImM?ppid=143952830
    edited July 2016

I suggest that you don't just "check the settings" on all these programs(firewall/virus/spyware/...).  I suggest that you disable them completely, just for the testing.  And to the point "not blocking anything outbound", well that doesn't mean that the inbound isn't blocked, which would certainly mess up Quicken.

Just saw this in another thread I think it might be your problem.  (Basically an Intuit problem that you can workaround).
    https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/dwUKCkXeur36_DacfArImM?ppid=143952830

Thank you Chris,

I have been working with this issue this evening along with some issues at work.,

Tried adding https://registerqt.intuit.com to the trusted sites.  No go,.

I reset all IE Settings to default and reset the settings for security and privacy per the Quicken links.

My router/firewall does not appear to be an issue as the laptop will connect to Quicken through it.

I have tried disabling my AV and Antispam utils.  No difference.  I can try removing them tomorrow.

I am going to bag it for tonight and work on it remotely from work as time permits tomorrow.

Thank you all everyone for the information.

Jim R
    edited August 2018
    Here is the fix.

1. Remove and reinstall my Antivirus program
    2. Remove IE8 (drops back to IE6) Reinstall IE8
    3. Verify that CHeck for serve certificate revocation is un-checked in Internet Options> Advanced tab.

Thank you one and all for your input

Jim R
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Here is the fix.

1. Remove and reinstall my Antivirus program
    2. Remove IE8 (drops back to IE6) Reinstall IE8
    3. Verify that CHeck for serve certificate revocation is un-checked in Internet Options> Advanced tab.

Thank you one and all for your input

Jim R

I had a very similar problem, Jim.  You described mine issue nearly perfectly and I did most of what you did, including the always frustrating experience with both the FI helpdesks and the Quicken helpdesk - both pointed the finger at each other.

In my case Bank of America ( BoA)  and Chase (Chase Investment Services Corp.) did not connect, nor could I reactivate the services once I deactivated them.  All other FIs did work.  They worked at one time however.

Nonetheless, my configuration was a bit different  (IE 7, Q 2012, Win Vista) .  I am using quicken on my work machine so I have little option to upgrade to IE 9 right now....My fix was based on your last point.

"3. Verify that CHeck for serve certificate revocation is un-checked in Internet Options&gt; Advanced tab."

For me, uncheck Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Security section > "Check for server certificate revocation*

In IE 7, there are two similar entries, the other one " Check for publisher's certificate revocation" remains checked.

I reset everything in IE7 back to default with the exception of the above modification.  All still works.

I noted that on my wife's machine (IE9, Q 2012, Win 7), both these options are checked and everything works fine!