Catagory / Tag assistance in setting up register

TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
Here's the cinerio: I have a son in coll, he has college exp, misc exp, and allowance. I'd like to keep track of those as a total and individually. Also his mom sends me a check periodicall to cover his coll exp or for his misc exp. I'd like to track those individually and collectively. Sometimes I send her money to pay some of his coll bills. I'd like to be able to run reports for : $ from mom for coll, $ from mom for exp, money to mom for coll, money to mom for exp, total moneys from mom, sons coll exp, sons misc exp, and sons total expense for each of those and total collectively. How would you set a catagories, sub catagories and tabs to accomplish this?  And to make it even worse some of these $ are transferred from my ckng acct to his to pay for his expenses, transfers seem inpossible to track! I've tried several ways from before tags to now, but I always seem to find a missing link somewhere. Am I trying to do too much tracking? What catagories, sub catagories and tags do i really nees?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'd use tags with a category to designate the Mom and Dad credits and categories for the transactions where he is spending the money.
    With those in place, category reports filtered by tag should get you what you are looking for.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim F.Jim F. Member
    edited October 2018
    I like these questions :)

First I would create a Tag for "Son's Mother". If a transaction doesn't have a Tag assigned you can assume it is your expense, but you can also make a second Tag for "Me".

I would then creata an income category similar to "College Suport Rcvd" or "College contribution Rcvd" with sub categories for "Tuition Rcvd", "Misc Rcvd" (Or "Living Exp Rcvd"), "Allowance Rcvd".

I would then create a similar coresponding expense category "College Expenses" with sub categories for "Tuition", "Misc Exp", "Allowance".

Here is how I would record the following scenario: You go with your son to the bookstore and charge $1,000 to your credit card for books. Your son's mother sends you a check for $700 ($500 for books and $200 for misc exp).

When you receive the check from your son's mother and deposit it, record it in Quicken as a split transaction. Allocate $500 to the category College Support Rcvd:Tuition Rcvd and a Tag of Son's Mother, and $200 to the category College Support Rcvd:Misc Rcvd and a Tag of Son's Mother. In the Credit Card account in Quicken you can record a split transaction for the purchase of the books and allocate $500 to the category College Expense:Tuition (or Misc Exp if that is the preferred category for books) and a Tag of Son's Mother and $500 to the category College Expense:Tuition (or Misc Exp if that is the preferred category for books) and no Tag (or a Tag of Me). If you have a Category and Tag on the Credit Card expense the transfer between checking and the credit card is irrelevant based on your question above.

Another scenario is your son's mother receives an electric bill for your son's apartment for $100 and you write a check for $50 to contribute. Record the check with a category of College Expense:Misc Exp, but how you Tag it depends on how you want to report it. If you want to treat all college expenses you pay regardless if you paid them directly or you made a payment to your son's mother and she paid them, then you can leave the Tag blank or select the "Me" Tag.

If you want to track seperately (which I think is what you want to do) the payments you made directly and the payments you made to your son's mother, then I would create another Tag similar to "To Son's Mother" or "Payment to Son's Mother" and Tag the transaction wtih it.

HTH
    Jim F.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Jim F. said:

I like these questions :)

First I would create a Tag for "Son's Mother". If a transaction doesn't have a Tag assigned you can assume it is your expense, but you can also make a second Tag for "Me".

I would then creata an income category similar to "College Suport Rcvd" or "College contribution Rcvd" with sub categories for "Tuition Rcvd", "Misc Rcvd" (Or "Living Exp Rcvd"), "Allowance Rcvd".

I would then create a similar coresponding expense category "College Expenses" with sub categories for "Tuition", "Misc Exp", "Allowance".

Here is how I would record the following scenario: You go with your son to the bookstore and charge $1,000 to your credit card for books. Your son's mother sends you a check for $700 ($500 for books and $200 for misc exp).

When you receive the check from your son's mother and deposit it, record it in Quicken as a split transaction. Allocate $500 to the category College Support Rcvd:Tuition Rcvd and a Tag of Son's Mother, and $200 to the category College Support Rcvd:Misc Rcvd and a Tag of Son's Mother. In the Credit Card account in Quicken you can record a split transaction for the purchase of the books and allocate $500 to the category College Expense:Tuition (or Misc Exp if that is the preferred category for books) and a Tag of Son's Mother and $500 to the category College Expense:Tuition (or Misc Exp if that is the preferred category for books) and no Tag (or a Tag of Me). If you have a Category and Tag on the Credit Card expense the transfer between checking and the credit card is irrelevant based on your question above.

Another scenario is your son's mother receives an electric bill for your son's apartment for $100 and you write a check for $50 to contribute. Record the check with a category of College Expense:Misc Exp, but how you Tag it depends on how you want to report it. If you want to treat all college expenses you pay regardless if you paid them directly or you made a payment to your son's mother and she paid them, then you can leave the Tag blank or select the "Me" Tag.

If you want to track seperately (which I think is what you want to do) the payments you made directly and the payments you made to your son's mother, then I would create another Tag similar to "To Son's Mother" or "Payment to Son's Mother" and Tag the transaction wtih it.

HTH
    Jim F.

Jim F-How do I show a college expense of his if I transfer $500 from my checking to his savings for him to pay for tuition? I'd like it to show  ita s a college expense of his (the transfer). the other sounds great!