The name Edward Jones now appears when I open Quicken - why

universeuniverse Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in
I asked this question of Quicken - no explanation was given - only that I should uninstall and reinstall Quicken.  A similar answer was given for another problem that I resolved by doing a little research on this site.  I am reluctant to follow the advice given because no reason is suggested.  I wonder if it is simply an easy response.   I can live with what appears to be a partnership between Quicken and Edward Jones, reflected in the name now showing but why should I have to. Is anybody else seeing this now?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here is one way to get get "rid" of it.
    https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/cDyhPS-Eqr4iRaacfAYHXM/how-does-one-remove-a-bank-from-the-quicken-2012-splash-screen?p=1&ppid=88611791&q=splash&s=5

I see EJ also and have just never taken the time to remove it, at least it isn't some group that I can't stand.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/cDyhPS-Eqr4iRaacfAYHXM/how-does-one-remove-a-bank-from-the-quicken-2012-splash-screen?p=1&ppid=88611791&q=splash&s=5

I see EJ also and have just never taken the time to remove it, at least it isn't some group that I can't stand.

Just so you know, yes Intuit does make deals with the financial institutions for the "splash screen".

As in not just any financial institution gets there logo on your splash screen, but when you connect to download for some financial institutions they have paid for the right to have their splash screen displayed.  It has to be one of the financial institutions you deal with.  Now how they decide if Chase should be displayed instead say EJ I have no idea, but that is what is going on.

So it won't hurt to change it out for a different image (that is all it is), if it really offends you, but in fact it harms nothing.
  • universeuniverse Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    splasher said:

Many thanks to those who responded.  It is clearer now. I will probably not take the time to get around this planting of a name even though it annoys me that it is done. I learned something new - the opening view of Quicken is called splash screen.  I think there is much I do not know about Quicken even though I have been using it for many years.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

The "splash screen" is a term that people just attached to that window, and that window does actually have another purpose other then just being a place for advertising.

When you start a program it might have to do several things before it shows you the full screen.  Like in Quicken it needs to read in the database.  If they don't put up anything while this is taking place the user thinks the program wasn't started or something.  They can't display the real screen yet without the data so they put up a "splash screen" (as in splash something up there for the user to see) so that the user knows the program is coming up.  I guess in the beginning it was something like "Please Wait...", but some marketing guy go the idea that yeah why not put up or logo, and that is why screens like that tend to splash up a logo for you to see.

BTW I consider it a good investment to allow such screens that have the financial institutions name on them (advertising).  People might think I "paid for Quicken I should not have to see ANY advertising", but in fact each dollar Intuit gets from them is one more dollar that might not come directly from the customer or a dollar that might go into support, or might ensure that Intuit will not stop making Quicken.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    splasher said:

"I consider it a good investment to allow such screens that have the financial institutions name on them (advertising). People might think I "paid for Quicken I should not have to see ANY advertising", but in fact each dollar Intuit gets from them is one more dollar that might not come directly from the customer or a dollar that might go into support, or might ensure that Intuit will not stop making Quicken".

I wholeheartedly agree.