Home

Incorrect password

Dave41Dave41 Member
edited January 2019 in
I'm trying to convert my Money 2007 file.  I can find it on my computer, but when I try to run the conversion, Quicken refuses to recognize my password.  I am typing in the same password I use to open my data file in Money, and I'm at a loss at what to try.

I see that other people were told to repair their Money file when Quicken couldn't locate it.  I tried that and it didn't help.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Can you remove your password in Money entirely?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • Dave41Dave41 Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I tried that, but have been unable to.   Even though the repair function didn't detect any problems, there are strange things happening in Money (such as errors when I try to remove the password), so the problem might lie there.
  • skjmkskjmk Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I'm having the same problem.  I have been using the same password in MS Money for 6 years.  There does not appear to be any way to remove the password entirely from MS Money 2007??  I tried to run a repair of MS Money but was told that that it had no broken records in the original file.  There should be an option in Quicken to deal with this problem - perhaps after your experts consult with the MS Money people.  I understand that Microsoft wants to do whatever they can to smooth the transition of MS Money files into Quicken.   I'm afraid that I will have to trash my Quicken software if I can't find a way to import the MS Money data.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    GeoffG said:

skjmk:  Perhaps this discussion will help:  https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/auFY4aXpGr3PLIacfArImM?

(Found through Search Q&A "Password AND Money" - All Questions - one year time frame.)
  • skjmkskjmk Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

Thank you q.lurker for your response.  Actually I had already tried what ksvtx had tried.  I was also not able to delete (remove) windows Live ID.  When I went to change the password using the same email address and password that allows me to log into microsoft money, it would not accept it and suggested that "the server may be undergoing maintenance - try again later".  I've tried this several times today.   Same result.
    In response to Dan G, I could well have an encryption upgrade problem from MD5/RC2 to SHA1/AES.  I have upgraded in the past through 3 other versions of Microsoft Money.  Currently, in Money 2007 there is apparently not an option to sign in off-line.  I don't now have the earlier versions of microsoft money - just the 2007.  As I recall when you upgrade, they ask you to first delete the earlier version.
    The last answer from jckean seems to offer the most hope.  But how can you induce Quicken to ask for both the password and the Windows Live address - not just the password???   

Thanks again for your help.
  • Dave41Dave41 Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I was able to fix this problem last week.  I had set up my internet browser to automatically block cookies from msn.com, and so when I tried to change or remove my password, msn.com wouldn't recognize the change.  I removed the block on the cookie, and was able to change my password.  From there, the conversion was very simple.  I'm enjoying Quicken so far.  I hope that solves skjmk's problem as well!
  • skjmkskjmk Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I tried Dave41's suggestion and received a response that "I've signed in too many times with an incorrect email address or password"  - the same address and password that I've used these last 6 years to log into MS Money.    It then asks me to reset my password which leads to MSN sending the new password to my old, now defunct, email address - the address I'm still using to log into MS Money.  I never had much if any need for Windows Live ID so it never occurred to me to update my email address in Windows Live ID.

This brings me back to jckean's solution.   So again, how can you induce Quicken to ask for both the MS Money password and the Windows Live address at the same time - not just the password?   The experts at Quicken should be able to figure this out.  

Thanks again for your help
  • skjmkskjmk Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I have not been able to duplicate jckean's success in importing my Money file from a USB drive.   When I attempt to import the Money file from the USB drive, Quicken asks for the password only and not the email address.  And as before it tells me that my Money password is incorrect, although I have used this same Money password in Microsoft Money for the last six years.  Incidentally when I go back and forth between different Money programs on my desktop and my two laptops, the same password is accepted by all three programs.  Also jckean said on 5/16/10 that "I'm not so sure that Money's security is blocking the access for conversion" and I guess I am arriving at the same conclusion.   

Thus there is something different that jckean managed to do that induced Quicken to ask for both password and also the email address at the same time - and, apparently, it's not simply the use of a USB drive????   An interesting result that I don't understand is that importing from a USB drive leads to a request for the password while when I try to import from a CD drive one simply gets the response that Quicken can't open your Microsoft Money file - it does get as far as asking for the password?

As mentioned above I have never used windows Live ID due to the fact that I don't do online banking and I have never entered account numbers into Microsoft Money due to my security concerns with windows software.  Thus I simply use the Money software to update my investment portfolio and in this connection I am now wondering if there is another option out there for this function since I may not be able to use Quicken?
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    GeoffG said:

I suggest you go to the Microsoft Money Forum, signup, and ask the Money experts how to remove the password from your file.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/money
  • Dave41Dave41 Member
    edited August 2016
    I had a similar problem.  I was signing in to Money with a non-"Windows Live" ID and was prompted for a password.  When I typed in the password I had used for many years, it didn't work.  I removed my block on the cookie from msn.com, switched Money to a Windows Live ID, and then was able to convert to Quicken, after being asked for both an ID and a password.  I suggest creating a Windows Live ID, switching your Money logon to that ID, and then trying the conversion.  It worked for me.  I hope it works for you.
  • skjmkskjmk Member
    edited July 2016
    Dave41 said:

I had a similar problem.  I was signing in to Money with a non-"Windows Live" ID and was prompted for a password.  When I typed in the password I had used for many years, it didn't work.  I removed my block on the cookie from msn.com, switched Money to a Windows Live ID, and then was able to convert to Quicken, after being asked for both an ID and a password.  I suggest creating a Windows Live ID, switching your Money logon to that ID, and then trying the conversion.  It worked for me.  I hope it works for you.

Jose's suggestion to ask the Money experts on the MS Money Forum for an answer has led me incidentally to solve my problem, although I never got as far as actually asking any question on the Money Forum .  Thus I found that in order to sign up on the Money Forum I first had to obtain a Windows Live ID and here I was, surprisingly,  allowed to register a new Windows Live ID and a new password while as noted above, I was not allowed to do this on the MSN Money network status website.   Then it occurred to me that this Money Forum Live ID might work with my Money to Quicken import problem.  Thus, in fact, I did find that Money 2007 password manager allowed me to use this new Live ID to change/remove the old Live ID from my Money file.  My Money file, now equipped with the new Live ID, did import into Quicken.  Curiously this time Quicken asked for both the email address as well as the password, whereas before it only asked for the password???

So why didn't Quicken accept the Live ID password that I had been using in Money these past six years?  As you can see from my many forum inquiries above, I have wasted a lot of time (at least 15 hours) trying to figure out this import conundrum.  And as seen above I am not the only one that has struggled with password issues.  I believe the Intuit/Quicken people could do much, more working Microsoft, to fix this and related problems.  As noted by the Moderator on the Money Forum (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/money/thread/389b8fc3-d6f8-4e2e-857f-67d3fc0454fc), “Microsoft has stonewalled Money users, refusing to provide any assistance to anybody (except Intuit, David Kendall at Ultrasoft and similar) with this.”   Thus, apparently, we need to rely on Intuit to work out these kinks for the Quicken conversion of Money files.

Having finally imported my Money file into Quicken, I am now looking at 17 pages of new problems which Quicken has asked me to correct/address relating to failed attempts by Quicken to convert various parts of my Money file.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Dave41 said:

Quicken uses Money to open your Money file for conversion.  I believe it is Money that is asking for the password, and Money that is rejecting it.  If Money can't/won't open it's own file, there's little that Quicken can do.

My recollection is that the MVP's in the old Money newsgroup, strongly suggested removing Windows Live ID's from Money files ... before some specific date (which I don't recall at the moment).  I believe they were saying that it might not be possible to remove them after that certain date, and that the servers that authenticated them would not be available after that certain date ... making files that still had Live ID's inaccessible.  

Perhaps not exactly what was said, but I think that's the jist of it.

I believe your problem is basically a Microsoft problem (though one which they seem to have provided a workaround for).  It seems plenty of ex-Money users are not having the same problem.
  • gfanjgfanj Member
    edited July 2016
    After spending a day trying to overcome the same problem, skjmk's comment of 6 September provided the answer I needed. I went to Microsoft Money Forum and signed up using a new Windows Live ID (you may need to create a new e-mail address if you have only one, as the new ID has to be verfied by e-mail). I then went to Microsoft Money, signed in as usual with my previous ID, went to Password Manager, and, presto, was able to remove Windows Live ID using the newly created ID. Quicken successfuly imported data from the now password-free Money file. As for what caused the problem, my uneducated guess is that the server used to authenticate the old Windows Live ID no longer exists, and creating a new ID bypasses it.
  • veronisaveronisa Member
    edited July 2016
    gfanj said:

After spending a day trying to overcome the same problem, skjmk's comment of 6 September provided the answer I needed. I went to Microsoft Money Forum and signed up using a new Windows Live ID (you may need to create a new e-mail address if you have only one, as the new ID has to be verfied by e-mail). I then went to Microsoft Money, signed in as usual with my previous ID, went to Password Manager, and, presto, was able to remove Windows Live ID using the newly created ID. Quicken successfuly imported data from the now password-free Money file. As for what caused the problem, my uneducated guess is that the server used to authenticate the old Windows Live ID no longer exists, and creating a new ID bypasses it.

I tried that,  <a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/led-light-bars-c-38.html">LED Light Bars</a>  but have been unable to. Even though the repair function didn't detect any problems,<a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/flexible-led-strip-lights-c-32.html">Flexible LED Strip Lights</a>   there are strange things happening in Money (such as errors when I try to remove the password), so the problem might lie there <a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/outdoor-led-lighting-c-11.html">Outdoor LED Lighting</a>  .