What would cause my balance to be off from my online balance for my checking.

pj1969pj1969 Member
edited October 2018 in
I have just started using quicken and I just download my transactions from my bank.  After several months the balance is off by quite a bit.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Do you have duplicate transactions?  
    Did all your transactions download?  
    Its been several months since you started, how have the monthly reconciliations against the bank statement gone?  
    Quicken is NOT an auto-pilot program, you have to check to make sure that what is being fed into it is correct and complete.

It is natural for the Quicken balance to not agree with the Online Balance if there are "checks" in the mail that Quicken knows about, but the bank hasn't honored yet.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    splasher said:

Do you have duplicate transactions?  
    Did all your transactions download?  
    Its been several months since you started, how have the monthly reconciliations against the bank statement gone?  
    Quicken is NOT an auto-pilot program, you have to check to make sure that what is being fed into it is correct and complete.

It is natural for the Quicken balance to not agree with the Online Balance if there are "checks" in the mail that Quicken knows about, but the bank hasn't honored yet.

pj, sometimes all you can do is start by manually reconciling with your bank statements. LOTS of things can cause your register to go off, example- a manual transaction that was entered as a debit instead of a credit or visa versee. What I did when I got my register all straightened out was keep a notebook with month ending balance from my quicken register. example- Nov '2010 month ending balance, Dec the same and so on. that way when you're working with your register if it goes off you can go back and check month ending balance until you find where it went off, then check all your bank entries from that point. I had one of those where a deposit for $200 got deleted somehow, and I found right away checking my notebook and seeing it was in Nov 2008, so I went to my online bank statements from 11-2008 and found a accidentally deleted deposit of $200!