Missing a fund price

universeuniverse Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in
Mystery - Although all other funds in an account downloaded properly, a money market fund vallue of $1 would not.  Took following steps once alone and secondly with online help.
Checked security detail and security lists. Not hidden. Symbol correct. Have had for some time.
Tried again to update - even tried to enter manually - blank and entire history missing.
Called fund company - does not seem to be their problem.
Worked with two Quicken help folks. They were not able to solve after going through all steps I had.  One suggestion - copy file - move to that. Still problem.
Luckily I had a backup from two days ago.  Fund no longer shows zero with a minus loss of actual amount.
I am curious - it appears that Quicken did not see the fund in holdings as having a price, but it did show number of shares, cost, a minus market value, and, a loss of $100.  All reinvested dividends were shown in the detail.

I have moved on to my backup copy.  Is there a way of renaming this so it does not say backup?

I have malware and symantec updated

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Frankly, I don't know why you're downloading mm fund prices; the only thing that can do is tell you what you already know ... or get your mm price wrong.

But in this particular case, I think you would have been well served if you had made it a point to read any un-read "Announcements from Intuit" in this Community. Such as:

https://qlc.intuit.com/announcements/156194
  • universeuniverse Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Frankly, I don't know why you're downloading mm fund prices; the only thing that can do is tell you what you already know ... or get your mm price wrong.

But in this particular case, I think you would have been well served if you had made it a point to read any un-read "Announcements from Intuit" in this Community. Such as:

https://qlc.intuit.com/announcements/156194

I appreciate NoWayJose Answer but I am bewildered by first part that asks why I am downloading a mm fund price when I know what it is - my response is because my fund balance has a gross discrepancy that involves shares with no price.  What am I missing here?

I did check out references to downloading problem but did not sense that these were specific for one fund since I did not have a problem until dowloading on 9/13. On 9/9, all history and prices existed.  On 9/13, for one fund in one account, wrong balance; nence, the question.  Maybe it does all hark back to April.  I did arrive at correct price and balance by moving to a backup.  Interestingly enough, neither in a chat or phone call was I informed that there had been a Q problem.
    edited February 2018
    You're missing the fact that your mm prices are screwed up *because* you downloaded them.

And the fact that the Intuit Announcement began in April for a problem initially discovered early this year does not mean it's not applicable to your situation.

The problem has been ongoing and it's not limited to one, or a couple, of securities.
    edited November 2016

You're missing the fact that your mm prices are screwed up *because* you downloaded them.

And the fact that the Intuit Announcement began in April for a problem initially discovered early this year does not mean it's not applicable to your situation.

The problem has been ongoing and it's not limited to one, or a couple, of securities.

I cannot resist continuing this...are you saying that one should not download some/any share prices into Q or just money market.  if you don't download and you cannot enter manualy for this one fund, all history gone, a cost basis showing but no balance, what have you got - an account with an inaccurate balance and a skewed performance history.  I would so appreciate some other comments because I remain bewildered.  No doubt it is my age.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Just money market funds.  They should stay at $1.  You don't need to download mm funds prices.  Although if you download the transacations in the mm funds then you will get the prices on them.   Hopefully each transaction will be at $1 price/share but you should double check that.
    edited August 2016

As I said originally: "I don't know why you're downloading mm fund prices" - where "mm fund prices" means money market fund prices ... I thought it was pretty clear that I was speaking only of money market fund prices.

Unlike the prices of most securities, mm fund prices are always $1/share (if they aren't, you'll have more to worry about than whether the new non-one dollar price downloaded correctly in Quicken). That means you don't need to download those prices, and not downloading them means a few less prices that could get screwed up by downloading.

The problem with downloaded security prices noted in my earlier post is not the only problem that has occurred (or will occur) with downloaded prices. But most users will want to download non-money market prices, so will take the risk that something unwanted will occur with those prices. But there isn't any reason to take that risk for mm fund prices.
    edited November 2016

I got it.  I understand very well that MM funds are or should be $1, but I have never been advised that this fund should not be checkmarked download and history has always shown $1. I have now unchecked download for this fund.   I obviously have been naive to anticipate that a fund company and money management tool would always be compatible or, if not, that any problem would be not be reversible.  I appreciate your persistence in educating me and hope, indeed, that I have it right.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'll start with a quote from my QW2009 help file:
    "Quicken does not update prices for money market securities (or any security whose ticker symbol ends with XX), so don't select money market securities for updating when setting up your online quotes. "

In my case, I currently have 3 different MM funds I own.  For whatever historical reasons I no longer remember, one of these is not checked for downloading through the Download Quotes feature; two are checked.  The price history for the first appears to coincide with days that I likely chose to update via web-connect file for the particular account.  For the other two MM funds that are checked to download prices, one appears to do so.  The second appears to only have prices for days I have made an direct conect data transfer from the brokerage.  

My initial conclusions:  The help file is only partially right - it may not be the program intent, but Quicken may actually download MM fund prices for some MM funds.  It will not do it for all (apparently).

The more common way of getting MM price updates is through the download from the brokerage through either web-connect files or direct connect files.  I would consider it plausible that if the download from the brokerage was faulty (perhaps a $0 share price for a given day or a day in the future) the user would get the cited behavior.  

My perspective:  There is no sound reason to ask for MM fund prices to be included in a Download Quotes action, but I personally have never had a problem with that inclusion.  

A MM price history record can become damaged and cause issues such as the OP cited just like the price history for any other security.  Such cases appear to me to be infrequent.  The causes of such corruption are not readily identifiable.  The fixes for such price history corruption are the same for a MM fund as for any other security and restoring a backup is one of the easiest and most reliable of those fixes.
  • edited December 2018
    I have this exact same problem WITH A MUTUAL FUND , whose share price fluctuates normally. This morning. when I opened Quicken it shows no price for this security and will not allow me to enter one manually. There is another problem here that is being ignored because this person has a problem with a money market account. That is not the problem. The problem is Quicken has somehow corrupted this record for some unknown reason.
    edited August 2016

I have this exact same problem WITH A MUTUAL FUND , whose share price fluctuates normally. This morning. when I opened Quicken it shows no price for this security and will not allow me to enter one manually. There is another problem here that is being ignored because this person has a problem with a money market account. That is not the problem. The problem is Quicken has somehow corrupted this record for some unknown reason.

"There is another problem here that is being ignored because this person has a problem with a money market account".

I suggest you try reading the entire discussion carefully (including following any included links) before posting.

No one is ignoring anything, or saying there is only a problem with mm funds.