renaming rules

Lisa SmithLisa Smith Member
edited October 2018 in
when downloading transactions they record as something like this "Visa Purchase (NON-PIN) Bimmer A"
How do set this up so that quicken memorizes these accounts and renames to "BMW".  I am spending hours retyping in transaction names!  Help!

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    With the Renaming Rules, you can base the rule on what is contained in either the Payee or Memo fields.  So the rule might be: If payee contains "Target" or if memo contains "Target", make it Target.
    As long as there is something in either field which is identifiable, you can do a rule.  I use the rules to remove the store #s, locations, and the gibberish that the financial institution may put in the payee field which is meaningless to me by replacing it with something short like Target, Walmart, Giant, Shell, Lowes, etc.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DLLDLL Member
    edited July 2016
    splasher said:

With the Renaming Rules, you can base the rule on what is contained in either the Payee or Memo fields.  So the rule might be: If payee contains "Target" or if memo contains "Target", make it Target.
    As long as there is something in either field which is identifiable, you can do a rule.  I use the rules to remove the store #s, locations, and the gibberish that the financial institution may put in the payee field which is meaningless to me by replacing it with something short like Target, Walmart, Giant, Shell, Lowes, etc.

Splasher, what if all that jibberish isn't making it into the memo or payee part of Quicken?  I can see it via the bank's statement online, but it isn't transporting all that into Quicken and stops after a certain point, even if I widen the box.  Any suggestions?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

brancol:
    Then you need to complain to the financial institution.  The system definition standard for the file that transfers the information has size limits on the field sizes and the FI needs to make sure that the unique information of a transaction is within that number of characters.
    I can not imagine why a FI thinks something like "POS charge VISA purchase (non-pin)............." is important information to a customer.  Putting boilerplate text at the front of the payee or memo field is just plain stupidity on the FI's part.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list