Tagging a Transfer to Record Types of Savings

stardogstardog Member
edited October 2018 in
I manage savings in one Savings Account but try to keep internal balances (outside of QE) for various purposes -- Medical, a special purchase, vacation.  I figured I could setup tags for these purposes and use those tags when I transfer a saving amount from my checking account to my savings account.  It seems to me that the tags are always assigned to both sides of the transfer, (negative on one side, positive on the other) thereby canceling each other out.  So my hopes of tracking (for example) - How much I have saved toward a vacation in the last 6 months doesn't seem to work.  Should I be approaching this differently

Thanks   Dave

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I don't know if mac or QE has it but check into Savings Goals.  Do a search on it in the forum.
  • David ToelkesDavid Toelkes Member
    edited April 2017
    In the Windows version, there is a Register Report.  If you have this in the Mac version, then just sort the register report by tag to get the sub-account balance you are looking for.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Stardog Dave, the only way I know of doing this in QEM is to create a phony savings account (for each savings goal), hide it from lists and reports so that it doesn't show up in your net worth, and make transfers into it.

This will work for hiding your money for savings goals, but it will make a mess if you reconcile. (That is, you are making factitious transactions that your bank can't account for)
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Stardog Dave, the only way I know of doing this in QEM is to create a phony savings account (for each savings goal), hide it from lists and reports so that it doesn't show up in your net worth, and make transfers into it.

This will work for hiding your money for savings goals, but it will make a mess if you reconcile. (That is, you are making factitious transactions that your bank can't account for)

Dave I was having the same problem but found that in the number column on either of the registry entries, make it anything "except" XFER or TRANSFER. So in the Number column in the + transfer make it something like "Vacmove" and the other can be left as a XFER or make it anythig you like. If you do this you can tag both entries differently! The program must use those words in tandum to link the tags for some odd reason!