Where did sub catagories go (under) a specific Catagory?

TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
When I used Qkn 2007 Deluxe I used to be able to open Catagories, select a specific catagory, and all sub catagories were expanded along with transactions in those sub catagories, and all the totals of the transactions. In 2010 Deluxe, when I click on a specific catagory, it says no transaction listed, even though I can go to a subcatagory under that catagory, open it and view transactions. I'm having a very difficult time getting used to not being able  to EXPAND everything under a given catagory automatically. Why is this working like this now...did Quicken 2010 change that ability. Logically I should think you could open any Catagory, or Sub Catagory, and everything under it will be listed and/or expanded

Comments

• leskoonkleskoonk Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As an aside, I've had all kinds of trouble with sub-categories in Q-2010 - both in the accounting as well as the reports.

I had to eliminate (unlink) all my sub-categories to get things to behave well.
  • JennyKBoggsJennyKBoggs Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi.  I have the exact same issue although I have only had quicken 2010.  I need to be able to drill down to the transaction level on a report and only find I can do that at the category level.  Sorry I don't have an answer really.  Have you come upon anything yet to solve your problem? Surely this is not the way quicken intended subcategories/categories to work.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, I've been using Quicken for 5 years, my last was 2007 and this issue didn't exist. It's strange because it works fine when I go to "Reports", as you can select the catagory and all the sub catagories are automatically selected, but  if I select "Catagories" from the tool bar and select a specific Catagory it does not respond the same as it does in reports. My frustration is that it worked on my 2007 version. That is a VERY handy feature to go to Catgories (from tollbar at top) > Sub Catgories> and eventually a Transaction. I like quicken and for the most part the program is fantastic,but to eliminate things that work well in new versions is something I don't understand. CAN SOMEONE tell me if it just me or is it the program that is messed up? Having used this Quicken for the last 5 year has allowed me to to know it inside out and this doesn't seem to be an issue on just my PC. I know Quicken tries as they have adapted 3 of the issues I mentioned on how to improve Quicken. I worked for IBM for 30 years and am somewhat knowledgable on how programs work and are created this seems to be a program related issue.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Welll I just finished E Chat about this problem, and I was told that 2010 won't do this. What a shame as I used it a lot, it was a great feature and was eliminated.  I just don't understand! I'd go back to 2007, but they will no longer be supporting that in a few months. I guess they have me right by the --- on this one!
  • Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Member
    edited August 2016
    Well, it turns out that you can still do something like this from the Category list, although it might be slightly more cumbersome.

If you click the little icon to the left of the category name it will show you a little summary of the number of times that category has been used. You can click on Full Report, to get a report of what those transactions are.

It turns out that you aren't limited to just one category: you can use standard Windows multiple select to select several categories, such as a category and its subcategories. Clicking one of those icons will display usage of all of those categories and you can get a report of all of them. Note that at the top of the report you can then choose to subtotal by subcategory.

As I said, a little more cumbersome, and I apologize for that. One of the reasons it was changed was to avoid a performance hit in displaying the category list, when much of the time the user wasn't trying to do this. This is on a list to be looked at again at some point, although I can't promise when.

Dave
  • bzwohbzwoh Member
    edited July 2016

Well, it turns out that you can still do something like this from the Category list, although it might be slightly more cumbersome.

If you click the little icon to the left of the category name it will show you a little summary of the number of times that category has been used. You can click on Full Report, to get a report of what those transactions are.

It turns out that you aren't limited to just one category: you can use standard Windows multiple select to select several categories, such as a category and its subcategories. Clicking one of those icons will display usage of all of those categories and you can get a report of all of them. Note that at the top of the report you can then choose to subtotal by subcategory.

As I said, a little more cumbersome, and I apologize for that. One of the reasons it was changed was to avoid a performance hit in displaying the category list, when much of the time the user wasn't trying to do this. This is on a list to be looked at again at some point, although I can't promise when.

Dave

Thanks to Quicken Dave.  After several wasted days and 2 wasted E-mail inquiries, that tiny little icon to the left of the catagory title has solved an extremely frustrating report problem.  I was ready to reinstall my Q2005 and tell Intuit where they could store Q2010.  Making changes can sometimes be good, but the help menu was no help at all.  If that icon was mentioned I would like to know where.  At this point I'll give Q2010 another chance, but I fear they're trying the proverbial 50# in a 10# bag.