Home

I would like get rid of a lot of old information in my quicken files such as sold houses, closed bro

PengaitPengait Member
edited January 2019 in
My data goes back 10 years and a lot of the categories that deal with kids & the ex-wife etc. are no longer applicable and they just add confusion.  I thought about doing year-end copy and then deleting all the extraneous information but then I wonder if it will screw things up.  Am I better off just starting with a new Quicken file ... inputting all the account information could be a real pain!

Thank you for any insight.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Basically any account you no longer use can be deleted.  As long as joint accounts are no longer used you would be able to delete those as well.  If your current accounts are with new account numbers at your FI, they should pose no problem.

First start with backing up your data, Ctrl-B.  Then go to Account List, highlight the accounts to be deleted and select delete.

If you find you deleted an account you should not have, you can restore.  Be advised however, that if you do restore, all data will be restored to the date of the backup.

Categories can be deleted one by one as not needed.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • PengaitPengait Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

Basically any account you no longer use can be deleted.  As long as joint accounts are no longer used you would be able to delete those as well.  If your current accounts are with new account numbers at your FI, they should pose no problem.

First start with backing up your data, Ctrl-B.  Then go to Account List, highlight the accounts to be deleted and select delete.

If you find you deleted an account you should not have, you can restore.  Be advised however, that if you do restore, all data will be restored to the date of the backup.

Categories can be deleted one by one as not needed.

Taking the advice to delete the account was a very big mistake, don't do it!  When I deleted the file all linked transactions went away, which left many uncategorized transactions.  Don't delete the account, hide it.