How do I make the balance column show the true account balance when I show uncleared transactions?

Rob PatrickRob Patrick Member
edited April 2018 in
When I show only uncleared transactions the balance column just sums up the displayed transactions and NOT the true balance in the account. This is very confusing and not very useful information, actually...

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You can't change the behavior you see; Quicken displays the balance for the transactions that are displayed.  [Personally, I prefer it that way.]

You can have Quicken display account balances in the Account Bar and that balance will reflect all transactions in the account, regardless of which transactions are displayed.
  • CFilkinsCFilkins Member
    edited July 2016

You can't change the behavior you see; Quicken displays the balance for the transactions that are displayed.  [Personally, I prefer it that way.]

You can have Quicken display account balances in the Account Bar and that balance will reflect all transactions in the account, regardless of which transactions are displayed.

I have to agree with the original poster.  As a recent MS Money convert (used it for 10 years), I can't imagine how it makes any sense to have the balance change based on what's listed.  I see it to be the equivalent to keeping a paper register and having your balance reset to $0 every time you flip the page.  

I know I can see a balance in the accounts column, but I'd rather have it shown all together with my transactions.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

"I see it to be the equivalent to keeping a paper register and having your balance reset to $0 every time you flip the page."

Then I believe you haven't given this subject the thought it deserves.   

What you are asking for is the same as having a report customized to exclude certain transactions, display a total amount that includes the amount of the excluded transactions.

I can't imagine a more incorrect or confusing proposition.

I suggest you return to using Money ... or write your own software.
  • BeermatiBeermati Member
    edited July 2016

I'm also a recent MS Money convert (due to discontinuation of product) and agree with both OP and CFilkins.  Displaying only the unreconciled transactions is a very useful screen when reviewing a checking account (it was my default view) and it is inaccurate to have the ACCOUNT balance in the Quicken register reflect a subset of transactions - it should display the actual account balance, when in the account register. The account balance is the account balance - period.  If the user wants to see a total value of a subset of transactions, that should be run in the report menu.