Quicken keeps telling me my checking account can be upgraded to Direct Connect. When I try it thinks

JamesJames Member
edited June 2018 in

Comments

• David ToelkesDavid Toelkes Member
    edited June 2018
    Does your bank charge a subscription fee to access your account with direct connect (many do)?  If your bank charges a fee and your bank does not have you enrolled as a paid subscriber, then you will get some sort of error message when you attempt to update your account with direct connect.  

No telling what default error message the bank is sending you through Quicken.  I assume that you have been using web connect to download your transaction activity and that is still working correctly.  

If you want to become a direct connect subscriber but don't want to pay the monthly fee your bank charges, ask if you can upgrade your account to a status that gives you free quicken direct connect access.  It may be just a matter of agreeing to maintain a minimum balance in your account is all you need to do for your bank to upgrade you to a "preferred" account that includes Quicken direct connect access as one of the free account features.
  • JamesJames Member
    edited August 2016

Does your bank charge a subscription fee to access your account with direct connect (many do)?  If your bank charges a fee and your bank does not have you enrolled as a paid subscriber, then you will get some sort of error message when you attempt to update your account with direct connect.  

No telling what default error message the bank is sending you through Quicken.  I assume that you have been using web connect to download your transaction activity and that is still working correctly.  

If you want to become a direct connect subscriber but don't want to pay the monthly fee your bank charges, ask if you can upgrade your account to a status that gives you free quicken direct connect access.  It may be just a matter of agreeing to maintain a minimum balance in your account is all you need to do for your bank to upgrade you to a "preferred" account that includes Quicken direct connect access as one of the free account features.

Sorry for the delay in this.  Bank does not charge for access and continues to say that issue is Quicken's.  I am waiting for the IT supervisor to get back to me from the bank but you can imagine how fruitful this wait is.  Quicken still thinks my checking account is a credit card and I am beginning to think that this may be due in some way to the overdraft protection feature I have.  Still wondering if anyone has run into this issue?   Short of changing banks I seem to be getting nowhere.
    edited June 2018
    Is your account listed in the Accounts Bar as a Banking account or as a Credit Account?  If it is listed as a credit account, click the SETUP tab, then click the ACCOUNTS tab, then click on the account name.  Find the "Used For" status and click (change), select Spending.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
  • JamesJames Member
    edited August 2016

Is your account listed in the Accounts Bar as a Banking account or as a Credit Account?  If it is listed as a credit account, click the SETUP tab, then click the ACCOUNTS tab, then click on the account name.  Find the "Used For" status and click (change), select Spending.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Account is set up for spending and is shown in the banking column
    edited June 2018
    Do you have to upgrade to Direct Connect?  Does transaction download still work anyway.  If so, then just maintain your status quo.

If you have to upgrade to Direct Connect, then the first thing you want to do is backup your database.  After your current database is backed up, restore an earlier version of your database and see if you still have the same problem.  You may have to keep going back to earlier backups to find one that will work.  

If the upgrade works with an earlier copy of your database, then your database file got corrupted somehow.  Update all your Quicken accounts for this copy of your database and start using this copy as your primary database.

If restoring an earlier backup does not work, then you will have to create a new Quicken account for your checking account.  Deactivate the One-Step Update and Online Bill Pay in the old account and just maintain the old account for archive purposes.
  • JamesJames Member
    edited August 2016

Do you have to upgrade to Direct Connect?  Does transaction download still work anyway.  If so, then just maintain your status quo.

If you have to upgrade to Direct Connect, then the first thing you want to do is backup your database.  After your current database is backed up, restore an earlier version of your database and see if you still have the same problem.  You may have to keep going back to earlier backups to find one that will work.  

If the upgrade works with an earlier copy of your database, then your database file got corrupted somehow.  Update all your Quicken accounts for this copy of your database and start using this copy as your primary database.

If restoring an earlier backup does not work, then you will have to create a new Quicken account for your checking account.  Deactivate the One-Step Update and Online Bill Pay in the old account and just maintain the old account for archive purposes.

I thought I was all set when I reviewed the R4 Release Notes.  They supposedly corrected the issue.  I tried to connect my account and the connection worked for one time.  Then I get a CC-506 error that my account download cannot be connected to the right account in quicken.  Instructions were to reconnect the accounts using the correct account numbers and this is what I tried.  Unfortunately I cannot see the correct accounts again in quicken.  Seems like the old error is back again after having been worked out one time.  I have disconnected the accounts and reconnected through web connect.  - Not using one step update.   Anyone have the same issue.  Seems since R4 was supposed to address this was rather widespread.  Has anyone overcome this?  Would appreciate some suggestions.   The Bank says its a Quicken issue and I have verified my account numbers.