Market Value Incorrect QW2012R5

edited January 20 in
IRA Transaction Sold   VMMXX 7,556.03 Shares at    $1.00 Total $7,556.03
Holdings Display the VMMXX Market Value as $7,556.03.

IRA Transaction BUY   VWINX  320.987 Shares at $23.54  Total $7,556.03
Holding Display the VWINX as  -7,235.043 at $23.54 Total $-170,312.91
Note that the difference between the true market value and the WINX SHARES is 320.987, the number of shares.

My IRA now shows a value of ($163,077.87) (NEGATIVE)

In the Holdings view and Portfolio view, I can change the WINX Price, but not the shares.
I exited and restarted QW2012, with no change.

This had been happening before in other investment accounts also.

Comments

• Bob_LBob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Please try validating your file, using File, file operations, validate and repair.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Pro
  • edited July 2016
    Bob L said:

Please try validating your file, using File, file operations, validate and repair.

Should I:
    a. Validate File
    b. Rebuild Investing Lots
    c. Delete Investing Price History
    d. or all three.
    e. or singlely, but in what order?

PS: While I don't suspect data damage, I did recently upgrade and convert from QW2009 to QW2012.
           The VWINX security was a new security after the conversion.
           Do you want to see my Dat_Log.txt file?
    edited December 2016
    Bob L said:

I would just validate.
  • edited July 2016
    Bob L said:

I Validated, but it did not change the amounts.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    [Fri Feb 24 13:35:34 2012]
    7 scheduled transactions corrected
    Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.
    If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. Listed:

Date Type                                Account                             Security                                     Amount
    ---------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ---------------
      1 2/22/2012 Bought                              IRA-2T-Roth                         Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund Investor Shares      -$7,556.03
    ---
    Validation has completed.
    edited December 2016
    Bob L said:

That message from validate is saying suggests to me that something is corrupt in there.  Do you have any placeholders in your account?  (Could be hidden so be sure option to show hidden transactions is set under edit preferences investment transactions.)

Have you tried deleting that Buy transaction causing the problem and re-entering it?  Also try recalculating the investment register using Ctl-Z.

You could also try rebuilding investment lots under validate and repair (backup first).
  • edited July 2016
    Bob L said:

I am showing hidden transactions, but I do not see any transaction in the IRA 2T Roth account register that would cause this.
    I have tried deleting the original BUY transaction and reentering it, but no change.
    Recalculating also does not correct the market value.
    I guess I’ll try rebuilding investments.

Validate & Repair – Rebuild Investing Lots DATA_LOG.TXT
    [Fri Feb 24 15:10:58 2012]
    Rebuilt investing lots.

Changed market value by 1 cent.
    edited December 2016
    Bob L said:

I'm running out of ideas.  

You mentioned other accounts.  Was this problem occurring before you upgraded to 2012 and if so was it corrected before you upgraded?

I doubt it will work, but it wouldn't hurt to do a clean reinstall, especially because you recently upgraded.  To do that follow the steps outlined here towards the middle of that page regarding a clean install:

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    TCS1977:  I think what you need to do is chase the data back in time.  I would use the portfolio view to do this - changing the "As of" date as necessary.  

You are saying immmediately after the buy of 320.987 shares, your share total for VWINX was -7235.043.  What number of shares did Quicken show the day before that transaction?  (Clearly it should have been -7556.03 shares.)  At what point did the share balance go negative?  Work your way back in time to find out when the share balance went awry.  Then you can focus on fixes at that point in tiime.

I think you also need to de a 'fresh-eyed' review to make sure you are specifying the right security for each buy and sell transaction.
  • edited July 2016
    q.lurker said:

TCS1977:  I think what you need to do is chase the data back in time.  I would use the portfolio view to do this - changing the "As of" date as necessary.  

You are saying immmediately after the buy of 320.987 shares, your share total for VWINX was -7235.043.  What number of shares did Quicken show the day before that transaction?  (Clearly it should have been -7556.03 shares.)  At what point did the share balance go negative?  Work your way back in time to find out when the share balance went awry.  Then you can focus on fixes at that point in tiime.

I think you also need to de a 'fresh-eyed' review to make sure you are specifying the right security for each buy and sell transaction.

I uninstalled QW2012, wiped Quicken from my system. Reinstalled new download of QW2012 with no change to market value.

QCleanUI Logbook
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html

While running QCleanUI “Quicken Cleaner Q97 to Q2012”, I received the following error:
    “Error: An error occurred while figuring out what version of Quicken is installed.”

Selected : “Clean All”

Report:
    Cleaning Shared DLLS
    Cleaning Install Folder
    Cleaning up Desktop
    Cleaning Start Menu

Un-installation Completed Successfully

I deleted “C:Program DataIntuitQuicken” folder.
    I deleted the “C:Program FilesQuicken” folder which only contained an old “update.log” file.

I deleted “C:Users[tcs]AppDataRoamingIntuitQuicken

Emptied Recycle Bin
    Re-downloaded QW2012.
    Re-install QW2012.
    Opened file saved to removable media.
    No change to market value.

I followed the error back in time on the “Holdings” screen.
    The sell of 7556.03 shares at $1 occurred on Feb 22, the same date as the buy of 320.987 shares at $23.54. So this is when the -7235.043 shares showed up.

What do you mean by “fresh-eyed” review?

By the way, all of my investment transactions and adjustments are entered manually.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    "The sell of 7556.03 shares at $1 occurred on Feb 22, the same date as the buy of 320.987 shares at $23.54. So this is when the -7235.043 shares showed up."

What I mean by a fresh eyed review is that I think you have crossed up your securities.  You first said you sold VMMXX and bought VWINX.  I would bet at this stage, that is not what your Quicken transactions say.  Make sure all your securities and tickers are correct.
  • edited July 2016
    q.lurker said:

"The sell of 7556.03 shares at $1 occurred on Feb 22, the same date as the buy of 320.987 shares at $23.54. So this is when the -7235.043 shares showed up."

What I mean by a fresh eyed review is that I think you have crossed up your securities.  You first said you sold VMMXX and bought VWINX.  I would bet at this stage, that is not what your Quicken transactions say.  Make sure all your securities and tickers are correct.

Thank you q.lurker. As I was typing up my response, trying to reiterate my sell and buy transactions, I discovered that when I entered my sell transaction, I actually entered the VWINX which was the new security at the bottom of the pull-down menu. The spot where VMMXX was previously.  A stupid mistake. So much for attention to detail.  Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. My appologies for taking up so much of your time.