Missing transactions in the Security Detail View

splashersplasher SuperUser
edited January 25 in
Using Quicken 2011 with Windows 7 32bit
I have found multiple instances where not all the transactions for a security are shown in the detail view.  All the transactions can be seen in the account register view.
Tech support suggested: 1) doing a Validate and Repair - No help, 2)delete and reenter the missing transaction (suggested it twice) - No help
I have found that if I enter an additional transaction, the missing transaction is then visible and if I delete the missing transaction, a different transaction then becomes invisible.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
-Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Very strange. Is this limited to a particular security, security type, or investment accout type? Were the transactions that don't display created in Q2011 or in your previous Quicken? Can you provide an example transaction?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member
    edited October 2018
    You can try recalculating the register.

In the investment account register (Transactions List), hold down CTRL while keying the letter Z.

[I've never had it cause any problems, but backup first, just in case.]
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited December 2016

In the investment account register (Transactions List), hold down CTRL while keying the letter Z.

re:MSHIGGINS - In the two cases I have found so far, one is a Bond, the other is a Mutual fund.  The bond is in two different accounts and only one is not showing a transaction.  The bond transactions were created in Q'2008 while the Mutual fund transaction in Q'2011.  As far as an example, the mutual fund was an interest income which was reinvested in the mutual fund directly.  Originally, all the update transactions were downloaded from EdJones, subsequently, I have deleted and re-entered them, but nothing has changed.

re:NoWayJose - A validate and recalculate was the first time that tech support had me try and it didn't help.

edited December 2016

New info regarding the bond transactions in two accounts.  In the Security Detail View it looks like this:
    line 1 - Bond purchase Acct A
    line 2 - Bond purchase Acct B
    line 3 -      blank line
    line 4 - Interest Income on Bond Acct A

I had always assumed that the blank line was the missing transaction, but if I double-click on it, an "Edit Adjust Share Balance" window pops up and talks about placeholder entries.  If I change the quantity entry by +1, change 50 to 51, save the change, the blank line is visible with a quantity of 1 and lo and behold, the missing Interest Income line for Acct B is visible.  Now, the quantity is shown wrong and asterisks are behind most of the figures in the Investing screen for that Bond with a footnote saying that placeholder values have been used in the calculations,

Just some food for thought.  When I change the qty back to the original value, the problem returns.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

edited January 25
    Eureka - found the problem.

In every instance of missing records so far, there has been a Placeholder record which should have been hanging around still.  If I delete the mating regular record and the placeholder record and then re-enter the regular record, the problem goes away and all records are visible in the Security Detail View.
    Evidently, the program will only show the number of lines it thinks it should and since there was a placeholder record showing up as a blank line, and therefore displaced a record out of sight.

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

In every instance of missing records so far, there has been a Placeholder record which should have been hanging around still.  If I delete the mating regular record and the placeholder record and then re-enter the regular record, the problem goes away and all records are visible in the Security Detail View.
    Evidently, the program will only show the number of lines it thinks it should and since there was a placeholder record showing up as a blank line, and therefore displaced a record out of sight.

Thanks for the details, splasher. I have posted a pointer to this thread in the super user lounge and asked the Intuit folks and the other supers to have a look.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

Is this what you are or were seeing?

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/jl747/Q2011/SecurityViewmissingdata.jpg

Mine occurred during the conversion from Q2010 to Q2011.
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1809
    edited January 25
    JL747 - That is exactly what I had.  If you double click on the blank line, you can find out exactly where the placeholder record is in the register.  Don't know if you got your's fixed but this is what I did to fix my problem.   
    In the respective account's register.  
    1) Delete the matching regular (non-placeholder) trx which will make the placeholder trx visible (it generally had the prior day's date)
    2) Delete the now visible placeholder trx
    3) Re-enter the original regular trx

• jl747jl747 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

JL747 - That is exactly what I had.  If you double click on the blank line, you can find out exactly where the placeholder record is in the register.  Don't know if you got your's fixed but this is what I did to fix my problem.   
    In the respective account's register.  
    1) Delete the matching regular (non-placeholder) trx which will make the placeholder trx visible (it generally had the prior day's date)
    2) Delete the now visible placeholder trx
    3) Re-enter the original regular trx

What I did was found the entries or transaction that were before and after the blank and deleted and reentered them.

That cleared up the problem.

I had 2 securities with this problem.
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1809
  • DaleDale Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi All,

QuickenEddy entered a bug for this.  We will look at it for a future release.  Thanks for sharing it.

The bug number is qw010893

QuickenDale
  • woodmanwoodman Member
    edited July 2016
    Dale said:

Hi All,

QuickenEddy entered a bug for this.  We will look at it for a future release.  Thanks for sharing it.

The bug number is qw010893

QuickenDale

This looks exactly like what I am seeing after going from Q2009 to Q2011 and is not tied to a particulr ticker or account.  I have the same stock (PG) in a normal acct and and IRA, bother with etrade, and I see the dive in one acct bit not the other.  There are those blank lines though!

Ok, I verified that is these phantom placemarks.  I see this was already entered as a bug report.  What kind of time frame for a fix?  Are we talking weeks or Q2012?
  • DaleDale Member
    edited November 2017
    This is fixed in the R4 release.

Thanks,
    QuickenDale