System Date Has Changed Prompt

The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
I seem to repeatedly get a prompt from Quicken 2012 that my system date has changed and asking me if I want to restart Quicken. I get the prompt whenever I've left Quicken open overnight. As I understand it, this is just allowing Quicken to refresh its data, however, I can't understand why it does not always prompt me though whenever I leave Quicken open overnight. It does not seem to be consistent in prompting me from one day to the next. Also, why is it that we never got this prompt with Quicken 2011?

Thanks,
Merg

Comments

• Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is a new feature we've added into Quicken 2012 to keep data files synchronized with the myriad of online services available - banking updates, quotes/prices updates, currency updates, online backup, bill pay, etc.

When Quicken is allowed to run overnight, as is a common practice for many, it was common for users to encounter out-of-sync-type error messaging, resulting in problems performing the basic functions they use Quicken for.  The "Quicken Restart" process is like a mini reboot of the program, to make sure that all services are properly dated/timed/synchronized.

As for the inconsistency you're seeing, we would need more data - log files, a diary, etc. - to determine if there's a problem with Quicken not functioning as designed.

During Beta, some of the Testers complained that we presented the message rather than just performing the action.  We do this to prevent a user from being restarted in the middle of entering data or performing an action and losing that data or thinking that the program had crashed.
  • The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

This is a new feature we've added into Quicken 2012 to keep data files synchronized with the myriad of online services available - banking updates, quotes/prices updates, currency updates, online backup, bill pay, etc.

When Quicken is allowed to run overnight, as is a common practice for many, it was common for users to encounter out-of-sync-type error messaging, resulting in problems performing the basic functions they use Quicken for.  The "Quicken Restart" process is like a mini reboot of the program, to make sure that all services are properly dated/timed/synchronized.

As for the inconsistency you're seeing, we would need more data - log files, a diary, etc. - to determine if there's a problem with Quicken not functioning as designed.

During Beta, some of the Testers complained that we presented the message rather than just performing the action.  We do this to prevent a user from being restarted in the middle of entering data or performing an action and losing that data or thinking that the program had crashed.

I'd be more than happy to submit log files for times when I don't get the prompt. Do you need me to start a ticket when it happens again and submit a ticket that way?

- Merg
    edited December 2016

yes, please.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Personally I would like to see an option that turns the whole thing off.  Not having it update the date to the new date for say entering a transaction was never a problem for 99% of the people.  Only a few people complained of this, and the result they got this prompt/restart is not what they wanted anyway.  Now that it is done I'm guessing you can just toss it out, but an option not to do it should be easy enough to do, and would make the 99% that weren't complaining happy.  Actually it is less then 99%, because you have to have Quicken open at midnight, but you get the point.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

I don't see the problem; what's the big deal about having Quicken restart.

And from the sounds of things, folks might not have complained because they didn't realize that some problem they were having could have been caused by Quicken thinking it was yesterday.
  • Jerry MarplesJerry Marples Member
    edited July 2016

An option to update at a certain time would solve the problem and shouldn't be too difficult to program I would think.
    edited July 2016

The problem is that Quicken 2012 is slow to begin with. Having to wait for the software to reset so that I can re-enter a transaction that I was entering when I got the prompt is not something I want or should have to deal with.

- Merg
    edited August 2016

So how long is the wait?

On an old slow pc, I can close Q2012, find the Quicken desktop icon with my mouse, double-click the Quicken desktop icon, and have Quicken running again in 20 seconds. I'm guessing the "restart" is quicker, and a heck of a lot less work, than that.

Doesn't seem onerous to me, especially if the alternative could be something getting screwed up.

There are a lot more Quicken users having a lot bigger "problems" than this.
    edited July 2016

When I open Q2012, it's at least a minute or so before I can do anything. The "reset" isn't much less for me.

As for the speed, that might just be related to the slowness of Q2012. If they resolve that issue then maybe this issue won't be so annoying to me.

- Merg
  • msdowdiemsdowdie Member
    edited July 2016

As someone who frequently left Quicken 2011 open overnight and never had any issues because of that, I dislike this new "feature" and would like an option to turn it off.
  • edited July 2016

I have to agree with msdowdie.  Could you please add the option to remove this feature.  I frequently leave Quicken open across several days and hate always having to wake up to this ERROR message.
    edited July 2016

It looks like in Q2012 R3 that they've made this refresh automatic.

- Merg
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

It would have been nice if they had mentioned it in the release notes, but yes it does seem to work on R3, at least it worked on a quick try I just gave it.
    edited July 2016

Just noticed there is a new option under Preferences/Setup. Mine changed automatically to be "Automatically restart to set the current date", but there are also options to be prompted to restart or to not do anything.

- Merg
  • Jim F.Jim F. Member
    edited September 2016

Quicken Tamara stated above:

"During Beta, some of the Testers complained that we presented the message rather than just performing the action. We do this to prevent a user from being restarted in the middle of entering data or performing an action and losing that data or thinking that the program had crashed."

I wonder if this is still a risk if the restart is done automatically.

Jim F.
    edited August 2016

It's now an option.

1.) Ask me
    2.) Automatically restart
    3.) Never ask and never restart

Sure would be nice to get the serious problems addressed.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Mine defaulted to #3 (how did it read my mind, I wanted that option. ;-) )
  • edited July 2016

I have R3 but the default still seems to be to ask me to restart when I leave Quicken open.  I've used Cancel with no bad effect since this first started showing up.

However, how can I select an option to not even ask me?
    edited December 2016

Edit > Preferences > Setup and select the desired option from the drop-down list
  • edited July 2016

Thanks Tamara.  That worked!