Tips for converting from Quicken for Windows 2008 to Quicken for Mac 2007

SilverFoxSilverFox Member
edited August 2016 in
I have just completed the conversion task and it took me over a month, so wanted to share some of my findings with the community to save others time and antacid.

Following the 'how-to' document provided by Quicken ("Converting Quicken for Windows file to Qucken for Mac") I did everything they recommended, but each time I ran into something that Quicken for Mac didn't recognize it gave me an error message indicating which account it was working on, but didn't give me any other information.  Therefore, I had to go through each account and each transaction to find out what the problem was.  The following is what I learned and hopefully will help others in the same boat.  The only recommendation I received from Quicken support was to run VMWare or Parallels with Window to stay on the Quicken for Windows product.  The reason I bought a Mac was to get off of windows altogether, so this wasn't an option.

I learned that the Quicken file isn't really a file but a complex database.  Therefore, to move to Mac everyone has to export the data from Windows and import it into the Mac version.  All of the problems I encountered were on the import side, but I was able to determine that checking the box that says "For Macintosh Users" on the QIF Export screen reduces the number of errors on the import side by about half.  Sadly, when the error is encountered, Quicken doesn't log the error, so there is no audit trail to follow.  

It must be noted that ALL of the errors that Quicken for Mac 2007 notified me about were in Investment Accounts.  The problems that showed up in checking and savings accounts were a related but different issue.  Since I have been using Quicken for over a decade and have used at least three different versions of the Windows product, some of the problems I ran into had to do with the differing ways that each version dealt with common activities, like paychecks and opening an account.

By counting the number of errors that each account I was able to track down the issues I encountered, as follows:
1.  While there are 'Deposit' and 'Withdrawal' transaction types exists in both the Windows and Mac versions, the export/import process has a problem in converting these transactions.  Therefore I had to go into each transaction and change it to a Mac 'Deposit' or 'Withdrawal' transaction.
2.  The 'how-to' document tells you that you have to change some transaction types.  What I learned as that MiscExp and MiscInc transaction types do not convert properly either, but are not documented.
3.  The errors sometimes produced duplicate entries during the year 2004.
4.  Sometimes there were partial entries (years 1998-2002)
5.  I found a missing check in 2007
6.  Paychecks were introduced in Windows in 2006.  I found that every entry that I had that included '_401k Contribution' or '_401k Empl Match' split transactions were duplicated and those extra transactions had to be deleted.
7.  Prior to the year 2000, opening a new credit card account set the "Opening Balance" with a 'Withdrawal' transaction for $0.00.  Quicken for Mac didn't recognize those transactions and they were dropped.
8.  I had used the end of year feature, where you can pare down some of the transaction prior to a specified date, several times in Windows.  Inexplicably, some of those transactions reappeared on the Mac and had to be deleted to get the balances to match.

I hope that by sharing this experience I can make the transition easier for someone else.

Good luck,
       DM

Comments

• Paul StPaul St Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey DM,  I am just doing the same thing. I am quite far along, and really have only one issue remaining. I wondered if you might know the answer. I have two on-line accounts that are brokerage accounts with linked checking accounts. I used to download transactions in Quicken for windows that the checking transactions went into the linked checking (Cash) accounts and the brokerage transactions went into the brokerage account.  

Now, with Quicken for Mac, all transactions go into the brokerage account. This is not a huge deal, but there are problems, such as the fact that loan payments, using the loan tracking feature of Quicken for Mac, won't work with a brokerage account.

Did you encounter this issues, and if so, how did you deal with it.

BTW, one thing I did that greatly facilitated the conversion is that i printed out reports from my Quicken for windows of all transactions that the Conversion Information said were problematic. This gave me a list of all the data I had to re-enter. Sped things up alot.
  • RandySimonRandySimon Member
    edited July 2016
    I've been delaying switching over to the Mac for a couple of years entirely because of the Quicken transfer situation.  I have 15 years of data in Quicken and there is no way in the world that I would give up chunks of it or try to re-enter it manually.

Finally, after reading lots of accounts on the web, I went ahead and got my Mac and simply installed Parallels Desktop and Windows.  This was no problem at all - it took a while because it takes time to install Windows, but it is just an unattended wait.  Once this was done, installing Quicken Deluxe 2009 was a breeze and it works like a champ.  I didn't  have to learn anything new or do anything about my data.  In Parallels in its "coherence" mode, Quicken sits on the Dock like the Mac programs and using it is no different than any other application.  The data files can be anywhere you want.  Problem solved.

I only did this to keep Quicken running, but I've ended up installing several Windows applications that aren't available on the Mac (such as support for the Sony Electronic Reader, for example.)  They all work fine too.

Hope this is helpful to those who are justifiably leery of switching over.  If you have lots of investment transactions and the like, you will avoid lots of trouble going this route.

rwsimon
  • SilverFoxSilverFox Member
    edited August 2016
    In response to Paul St:
    I never encountered that issue as I write checks directly from the brokerage account rather than having a linked checking account, and I don't make or track loans from that account.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

In response to rwsimon:
    One of the reasons I went to the Mac in the first place was to get away from the Micro$oft strangle hold, and all the problems associated with it.  Therefore, running Parallels or VMware Fusion, both excellent products, was not an option for me.  BTW, that was the number one response to me when I first started on this journey, but I rejected it as a form of defeat in this move.  I just don't want to be held hostage to the viruses and worms that go with Windows.  (When Mac becomes more popular, I will probably be facing the same issues, but for the moment I have escaped, and I see that as a victory!)

Thanks for your responses.
    DM
  • JR4JR4 Member
    edited July 2016
    SilverFox said:

In response to Paul St:
    I never encountered that issue as I write checks directly from the brokerage account rather than having a linked checking account, and I don't make or track loans from that account.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

In response to rwsimon:
    One of the reasons I went to the Mac in the first place was to get away from the Micro$oft strangle hold, and all the problems associated with it.  Therefore, running Parallels or VMware Fusion, both excellent products, was not an option for me.  BTW, that was the number one response to me when I first started on this journey, but I rejected it as a form of defeat in this move.  I just don't want to be held hostage to the viruses and worms that go with Windows.  (When Mac becomes more popular, I will probably be facing the same issues, but for the moment I have escaped, and I see that as a victory!)

DM

Great info - tks.  Do/did any of you use the Windows Home and Business Q software before converting to Mac?  Is this version supportable by Mac?  Any major concerns or words of advice with the Business conversion?  I want to swich over to Mac but Q is a huge part of what I do on the computer and therefore a major concern for me.

Thank you.
    JR4
  • SilverFoxSilverFox Member
    edited July 2016
    SilverFox said:

In response to Paul St:

In response to rwsimon:

DM

Sorry, I was using Quicken Deluxe 2008 before my migration, so I can't give you any experience with the Home & Business version.

DM