Why are all my written checks being put into just one category

greenpaulie1greenpaulie1 Member
edited January 22 in
All of our written check are being put under our childcare category for some reason.  Is there a way to correct this?  Under Payee it shows up as dda regular check and automatically shows up as childcare under the category.  Any help appreciated.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Which version of Quicken and OS?
    Are these handwritten paper checks or billpay checks?
    Are you downloading from the bank?
    Exactly what is in the Payee field?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    With hand written checks, Banks give you a generic payee description such as "DDA Regular Check XXXX" or "Check XXXX", other then the amount and date, nothing else is known about the check.

Quicken attempts to automatically categorize transactions based on known payee descriptions and abbreviations, in this case it probabaly interprets DDA as "Developmental Disabilities Administration", hence the category, Childcare.  In banking terms, DDA stands for "Demand Deposit Account".

When you type the correct payee description from the check into the register, Quicken will recall the correct category from your Memorized Payee List.

Unless you can make these payments electronically, using online bill pay instead of hand written checks, I would recommend entering these checks into your register prior to the update.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Rich M said:

With hand written checks, Banks give you a generic payee description such as "DDA Regular Check XXXX" or "Check XXXX", other then the amount and date, nothing else is known about the check.

Quicken attempts to automatically categorize transactions based on known payee descriptions and abbreviations, in this case it probabaly interprets DDA as "Developmental Disabilities Administration", hence the category, Childcare.  In banking terms, DDA stands for "Demand Deposit Account".

When you type the correct payee description from the check into the register, Quicken will recall the correct category from your Memorized Payee List.

Unless you can make these payments electronically, using online bill pay instead of hand written checks, I would recommend entering these checks into your register prior to the update.

Try reading up on Memorized Payees, when I had the problem is was from there.