I tried to update my transactions and it said it did successfully, but I dont have any new transacti

13»

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    QPW said:

Brian2,

See if this applies:
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/account-transaction-issues/quicken-says-there-are-transactions-to-accept-but-do-not-see-any/GEN82180.html

Please note that the bottom part with QIF files, is "difficult" and hopefully it will not get to that stage.

" ... since there are many transfers from one account to another, it's asking me to accept them or not .... ".

1.) To my knowledge, Quicken doesn't ask about moving *transfer* transactions from one account to another. It does ask you to confirm moving *reconciled* transactions out of an account (deleting reconciled transactions). To avoid that confirmation, use "Copy transaction(s)"/"Paste transaction(s)" ... then delete the old account.

2.) When Quicken "moves" a transfer transaction to a different account, Quicken automatically adjusts the appropriate transfer category so the transfer remains "correct". If you use Copy transaction/Paste transaction to do the "move", Quicken will still adjust the transfer categories ... and the "extra" transfers (left in the old account because "Copy transaction" was used) will disappear when the old account is deleted.
  • Brian2Brian2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Noway Jose is right that I should be able to just delete the old accounts, I wasn't confident enough to just delete, I looked through the registers to make sure they were duplicated.  Perhaps a waste of time.
    I tried to fix one account at a time and that was when I saw so many transfers from other accounts.  Easiest was to make all of the new accounts, then copy them all to their correct duplicate.  That way the transfers should work.  The link instructions said that after pasting the transactions, I should check the balance, but the balances change as I paste (because of the duplicates).

It looks like it worked mostly, but now I can't delete two old accounts because Quicken says I have "one or more scheduled bills or deposits that must be deleted first".  Just like the flagged transactions, the bottom screen bill and income reminders says I have none.  I don't pay bills from quicken, I use the bank's web page, so I assumed the reminders for bills were from Quicken noticing they were every month, rather than scheduled payments out.  I went into the scheduled list looking, and edited a few reminders for paychecks etc. to the new fixed accounts and tried to delete the few that said they were online payments.  BUT I can't delete them because they say they need to be sent.  I sent them, unchecking the box to download new transactions and it allowed that.  I didn't want to clear the bank's bill pay, just Quicken, but will have to log in to check and fix that.

Well, I followed all three steps, including the big one to create new accounts, move, and delete old ones.  I saved and closed Quicken and reopened it and reconnected to the bank.  I downloaded a lot of transactions, but AGAIN I can't see them.  What the heck is wrong with Quicken?  It's an updated version. I'm about out of patience with a program that's worked great for a decade, although each new update gives me a similar problem where I have to deactivate and reactivate my bank link.
    edited August 2016
    "Just like the flagged transactions, the bottom screen bill and income reminders says I have none ...."

You're looking in the wrong place.

The restriction is not limited to reminders that are due now (so they would appear below the account); the restriction is on any reminder for the account in question ... even if the Reminder is not due for five years (for example).

There is a snapshot available for any Home tab view called "Bill and Income Reminders". The advantage of that snapshot (over Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders), is that each Reminder in the Home tab snapshot list can (optionally) display the account it is assigned to. Click the "Options" button in that Home tab snapshot, choose "Show accounts in Bills list", and you should be able to find all the Reminders that use the account you want to delete.
  • LaRibereñaLaRibereña Member
    edited July 2016

"Just like the flagged transactions, the bottom screen bill and income reminders says I have none ...."

You're looking in the wrong place.

The restriction is not limited to reminders that are due now (so they would appear below the account); the restriction is on any reminder for the account in question ... even if the Reminder is not due for five years (for example).

There is a snapshot available for any Home tab view called "Bill and Income Reminders". The advantage of that snapshot (over Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders), is that each Reminder in the Home tab snapshot list can (optionally) display the account it is assigned to. Click the "Options" button in that Home tab snapshot, choose "Show accounts in Bills list", and you should be able to find all the Reminders that use the account you want to delete.

I thought it was just me.  I've used Quicken for many years and was very happy until 2012 version.  It says it downloaded, but cannot be found.  Frustrating.  Is it possible to archive the old accounts/records and start over all new, maybe backdating to, say, 1/1/12?
  • Brian2Brian2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the clarification on finding the Bill Reminders, sorry I wasn't clear.  I wrote the comment in pieces as I worked through the Quicken steps.  I did write, "Just like the flagged transactions, the bottom screen bill and income reminders says I have none."   Although I didn't write the correct tabs, I also wrote below that, "I went into the scheduled list looking, and edited a few reminders for paychecks etc. to the new fixed accounts and tried to delete the few that said they were online payments."
    In short, I did find the Bill Pay Reminders list by account), I did edit them (which required me to send updates because it wouldn't delete future scheduled bills until they were sent).  I didn't want to clear my banks bill payments, but I did it planning to log in directly to the bank web page and fix anything.  Worth the effort if Quicken worked again.

I wrote this to say that after the 3 steps: deactivating online banking (couldn't do it with bill reminders or scheduled tasks), validating (didn't clear anything), and creating new accounts and deleting the old ones, the new accounts STILL  get red flags that I can't see or clear.  I'm back to square one.  Perhaps my bank changed how they submit the data, I don't know how to tell that.  I plan to call them today.  I'm out of ideas and now a month since I've gotten quicken to download and clear transactions.  I could check my register against the online balances, but don't want to continue to add more lines if they are not clearing flags, since it seems like a waste of time (if I have to delete or start over later).

Edited: just tried to create a new FILE in quicken and download from the bank, but when it asked me for an "account type or branch" the options for Bank of America was All States or Quicken.  I was using All states, but that failed to connect.  I then tried Quicken type, and it downloaded.  Since it's new, I have no idea whether this fixes the Flagged downloads that can't be accepted, but when I deactivated and reactivated my account, I didn't see an option to pick Quicken as a type.  I'm going to look for that next.  Any ideas?
  • Brian2Brian2 Member
    edited July 2016
    I found my resolution.
    First, try QuickenPerlWiz's suggestion:
    See if this applies:
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/account-transaction-issues/quicken-says-there-are-transactions-to-accept-but-do-not-see-any/GEN82180.html

That didn't work for me, so I got on Quicken chat and worked through it with them.  Once the Online Center showed me transactions but the Compare to Register wouldn't load them, I validated the file.  There were no errors.  They then suggsted that I uninstall Quicken, and reinstall it to a different drive (it was in C:Program FilesQuicken but is now in C:Quicken).  Not sure why it worked, but it does, least for me.
    I hope it helps the many others who seem to be having this trouble.
  • Brian2Brian2 Member
    edited July 2016
    [Not sure if it helps to post as an answer rather than a comment.]
    I found my resolution.
    First, try QuickenPerlWiz's suggestion:
    See if this applies:

That didn't work for me, so I got on Quicken chat and worked through it with them.  Once the Online Center showed me transactions but the Compare to Register wouldn't load them, I validated the file.  There were no errors.  They then suggsted that I uninstall Quicken, and reinstall it to a different drive (it was in C:Program FilesQuicken but is now in C:Quicken).  Not sure why it worked, but it does, least for me.
    I hope it helps the many others who seem to be having this trouble.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Brian2,

Given that installing to another directory/folder helped Brian2 it seems to me that using the QCleanUI procedure might also solve the problem.  When you uninstall not everything is removed.  It is done on purpose because you will want your old settings to carry over into your new copy of Quicken, but if you have a messed up setting causing problems then having them carry over into the next copy of Quicken might just bring the problem along for the ride.
    The QCleanUI procedure cleans out all the old Quicken settings.

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/installing/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html

(BTW in computer terminology, the "drive" is like C:, D:, ..., so you didn't change drives you just installed in another folder/directory/location, take your pick of these terms)
  • edited July 2016
    QPW said:

Thanks Brian2,

Given that installing to another directory/folder helped Brian2 it seems to me that using the QCleanUI procedure might also solve the problem.  When you uninstall not everything is removed.  It is done on purpose because you will want your old settings to carry over into your new copy of Quicken, but if you have a messed up setting causing problems then having them carry over into the next copy of Quicken might just bring the problem along for the ride.
    The QCleanUI procedure cleans out all the old Quicken settings.

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/installing/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html

(BTW in computer terminology, the "drive" is like C:, D:, ..., so you didn't change drives you just installed in another folder/directory/location, take your pick of these terms)

QuicknPerlWiz's answer worked for me.  For some reason the account would not update from the online center, but did work from the Account Actions.

"Try going to the register and trying: Account Actions -- Update Now, and see if that pulls down the transactions. Or go to the financial institution and download from there (Quicken Web Connect QFX file), just open instead of saving it in your web browser and it should be imported into Quicken."

Thanks
  • Robbie DooRobbie Doo Member
    edited August 2016
    Deactivate your accounts first from the Accounts List under Tools. Then Reactivate it over again.
  • BeckydBeckyd Member
    edited July 2016

Deactivate your accounts first from the Accounts List under Tools. Then Reactivate it over again.

I was having the same issue with quicken home & Business 2011.  If I used the One Set update it woul dnot download any new transactions but if I di "account Actions"  Update Now it worked fine.  Not sure why the one step updated doesn't work but I don't care.  It downloaded my transactions.
  • carski08carski08 Member
    edited July 2016

You guys are the bomb!  Some Great answers here.  I paid $18 to JustAsk.com and they told me to go into quicken, delete my two two accounts, re-enter them and that should work.  I haven't done it yet but am going to try it.  (Plus QuicknPerlWiz - I love all your input!)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I can give some insight on the difference between One Step Update and Update Now.
    The first thing people have to determine is the "connection type", you do this by going to:
    Account Actions -- Edit Account Details -- Online Services
    The three types are:
    1) Web Connect (Manual you go to the financial institution's website and download/import a QFX file).
    2) Direct Connect, this uses a protocol (OFX/QFX) to talk directly to the financial institution, and is the most reliable, but only about 2,400 financial institutions have it and some charge for it.
    3) Express Web Connect.  This is the problem child.  What it is, is Intuit's servers try to log into the financial institution's website and using various methods depending on the financial institution's website try to get the same data that would be in the QFX file.  Given that there is no standard for this and the financial institution can change their website at any time, Intuit is always going to be chasing them trying to keep things working.  On the plus side Intuit has this working with 14,000+ financial institutions (well actually I'm not sure of the exact number the 14,000+ include manual only and the direct connect, but it is a large number).

The details on these are here:
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/how-quicken-connects-to-your-bank/GEN83013.html

Note #3 is "like" the way Mint works in that the Intuit servers run a "script" once a day to try to pick up the transactions, and they store those transactions on their servers waiting for Quicken to connect and retrieve them.

Now that is were Update Now comes in.  When you issue an Update Now if it is Direct Connect it pretty much does exactly what One Step Update does, but if the connection type is Express Web Connect, it is quite different.  You notice that the normal mode for Express Web Connect (One Step Update) is totally non-interactive.  So it can't ask you questions and such, it has to cache the possible challenge questions and such and since it runs once it has to be timed so that it doesn't run at a time that it is blocked (and yes the financial institutions will block Intuit's servers at certain times).

So the Update Now is "Interactive", as in Quicken contact the Intuit servers, and the Intuit servers turn around and contact the financial institution's website and try to get the information right then.  This means that flow is somewhat different.  For instance the script might be able to relay a challenge question to you.  But of course there could be other flow differences.

Now needless to say Intuit would much rather have the One Step Update work right so that all the work gets done at the proper time without any special request taking more server time and such.

So even though you should use Update Now if you have to, you should also report these problems/workarounds to Quicken Support so they can take actions to fix the real problem.

It is an on going battle that only can be kept in check by the users reporting the problems.
    edited August 2016
    QPW said:

I can give some insight on the difference between One Step Update and Update Now.
    The first thing people have to determine is the "connection type", you do this by going to:
    The three types are:
    1) Web Connect (Manual you go to the financial institution's website and download/import a QFX file).
    2) Direct Connect, this uses a protocol (OFX/QFX) to talk directly to the financial institution, and is the most reliable, but only about 2,400 financial institutions have it and some charge for it.
    3) Express Web Connect.  This is the problem child.  What it is, is Intuit's servers try to log into the financial institution's website and using various methods depending on the financial institution's website try to get the same data that would be in the QFX file.  Given that there is no standard for this and the financial institution can change their website at any time, Intuit is always going to be chasing them trying to keep things working.  On the plus side Intuit has this working with 14,000+ financial institutions (well actually I'm not sure of the exact number the 14,000+ include manual only and the direct connect, but it is a large number).

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/how-quicken-connects-to-your-bank/GEN83013.html

Note #3 is "like" the way Mint works in that the Intuit servers run a "script" once a day to try to pick up the transactions, and they store those transactions on their servers waiting for Quicken to connect and retrieve them.

Now that is were Update Now comes in.  When you issue an Update Now if it is Direct Connect it pretty much does exactly what One Step Update does, but if the connection type is Express Web Connect, it is quite different.  You notice that the normal mode for Express Web Connect (One Step Update) is totally non-interactive.  So it can't ask you questions and such, it has to cache the possible challenge questions and such and since it runs once it has to be timed so that it doesn't run at a time that it is blocked (and yes the financial institutions will block Intuit's servers at certain times).

So the Update Now is "Interactive", as in Quicken contact the Intuit servers, and the Intuit servers turn around and contact the financial institution's website and try to get the information right then.  This means that flow is somewhat different.  For instance the script might be able to relay a challenge question to you.  But of course there could be other flow differences.

Now needless to say Intuit would much rather have the One Step Update work right so that all the work gets done at the proper time without any special request taking more server time and such.

So even though you should use Update Now if you have to, you should also report these problems/workarounds to Quicken Support so they can take actions to fix the real problem.

It is an on going battle that only can be kept in check by the users reporting the problems.

Actually, I think Update Now for Direct Connect downloads has one distinct difference from One Step Update for Direct Connect downloads.

As I understand it:

OSU aggregates all user's current OSU requests and submits them to the financial institution at one time. [Sometimes the financial institution can't handle that load.]

Update Now takes the one user's update request and does a Direct Connect download from that financial institution for just that user.

And, if I recall correctly, Intuit has said (or implied) that when Direct Connect downloading using Update Now, Quicken can resync with the financial institution, where Quicken can not do that with Direct Connect and One Step Update. Resyncing can sometimes correct update problems with a financial institution.
  • LooneyMDLooneyMD Member
    edited July 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I have been a faithful Quicken user for over five years now, and have never had issues like this until I upgraded to Quicken 2012.

This is incredibly frustrating. I have tried all of the recommended troubleshooting with no avail. Enabled Quicken to pass through my firewall, deleted internet files, did a complete uninstall/reinstall, etc.

The accounts I am attempting to update are with US Bank. My temporary workaround is logging directly on to US Bank's site and downloading a QFX file, but not only does that add extra steps but also some transactions seem to come through out of order.

I really hope Quicken gets this figured out.

-Frustrated Long-Time User
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

LooneyMD - see this thread for US Bank issue

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/anaomw-jOr4AcpeJe_a0eh/one-step-update-just-runs-and-runs-and-runs-receiving-requesting-receiving-requesting-on-and-on-and-on-i-ve-let-it-run-for-hours-with-no-end-in-sight-there-is-an-explanation-mark-in-a-red-octagon-next-to-in-progress-help?ppid=105762749
  • stew32stew32 Member
    edited July 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I’ve reported a similar issue( https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/c6RUkEAx0r4AWjeJe_a0eh/update-fails-only-for-quick-bill-pay?ppid=71129491 ) with Quicken Bill Pay and now both of my banks will NOT download either stating transactions were successfully downloaded, but nothing. Quicken is not responsive to these issue for which my reported issue has been ongoing for 6 months and 2 days as of this date. So, if you think it is going to be resolved anytime soon, guess again.
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I haven't read all the posts, here, but many of them reference being dissatisfied with Quicken 2012.  Rest assured, it's not a problem with 2012.  I'm still on Quicken 2011 Premier, and have not downloaded transactions in - probably - months.  Every once in a while, I'll get transactions -- but I'm essentially entering all transactions manually, at this point.  

Hard to believe that Intuit can't communicate with us better ... or at all, for that matter.

I've been using Quicken for DECADES.  I'm sad to admit that, just like with my cable company, I see no better option even though I really HATE the product (mostly the service, but oftentimes the product).
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

moneygrubber,

You should be able to do one of two things to get your transactions:
    Account Actions -- Update Now
    OR
    Log into the financial institution's website and download a Quicken Web Connect (QFX) file.

Also you should contact Quicken support and not assume that there is a central problem here that is just going to get fixed, because the fact is the problem most likely resides either with then Express Web Connect servers scripts or the financial institution.  And those scripts can be different for each financial institution.  So it is not a given that if it is fixed for one financial institution it is for all.  And people aren't even reporting what financial institution they are talking about in this thread let alone letting Intuit know about it through Quicken support.
    This is a user to user forum after all.

BTW the reason for such a messy "solution" like Express Web Connect is the fact that no one wants to pay for a standardized system like Direct Connect.  There can be problems with Direct Connect too, but the percentage of problems is much less.
  • C EvansC Evans Member
    edited July 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I have been working in Quicken 2012 and it wasn't until very recently that I started experiencing the same issue.  Unable to deactivate and reactivate.  Looking for answers.
  • Frank PottsFrank Potts Member
    edited July 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I have the same problem in 2010 now.  I never had this trouble in the past but this year it has cropped up.  Even my current online balances are different then what the bank ('s) say they are.  It has become very unreliable.  It won't even balance correctly.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited July 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

I am having the same issue today.  This seems to be a problem for many people. When will it be fixed?
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

The three types are:

ctcookie - in case you didn't get a chance to read this entire year-old post, here's a synopsis:

* There are numerous possible causes for not seeing new transactions on an apparent successful download.  There isn't any one thing that can be "fixed", when many of the causes are non-product issues.

* There are numerous Comments on this thread that report actual error messages, or have nothing in common with what the OP was advising.  When there are actual error messages, there are in-product answers, knowledge articles on the quicken.com support site, and other threads on the Community that have solutions.

* There may be errors reported in the log files that are not being presented in Quicken as useful information, but are being reported as a generic "cannot connect" style message.

Some of the steps to try:
    * Use Account Actions > Update Now from the top of the account register to get transactions directly from the server rather than from aggregation;

* Try resetting the DTSTART in your Quicken Data File - http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/GEN82973 for instructions;

* Contact Quicken Support https://quicken.custhelp.com/app/contact/plvl1/win to have your logs reviewed to see if there's an internal error.  Online Banking Support is no charge, so do not purchase a support incident for this issue.