Crash converting quicken 2012 file to 2013.

k_man81k_man81 Member
edited February 2018 in
When I open Quicken Rental Property Manager 2013, it successfully finds and unlocks my 2012 file. However, when converting it either crashes or hangs.

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What does "unlocks my 2012 file" mean? Is that "opens my 2012 file"?

And "crashes or hangs"? Does that mean it appears to hang, but if you wait long enough, it crashes?

Try using Q2012 to validate your Q2012 file; then have Q2013 convert the validated Q2012 file.
  • k_man81k_man81 Member
    edited November 2016
    "unlocks my 2012 file" means that it prompts for my password, and seems to properly handle it.

It usually hangs (waited about 45 minutes), and one time it actually caused a crash.

In the past when I have validated my 2012 file, it says there are errors, they're fixed, but if I validate again, immediately, it says there are still errors. However, the file works fine (I'll have to try it out again, later, don't know where my Quicken 2012 disk is).

Assuming the validation works, is there another way to convert all of my data? Something I can run directly from a command line, or a way to import the data into a new file?

-Thanks
    edited August 2016
    k_man81 said:

"unlocks my 2012 file" means that it prompts for my password, and seems to properly handle it.

It usually hangs (waited about 45 minutes), and one time it actually caused a crash.

In the past when I have validated my 2012 file, it says there are errors, they're fixed, but if I validate again, immediately, it says there are still errors. However, the file works fine (I'll have to try it out again, later, don't know where my Quicken 2012 disk is).

Assuming the validation works, is there another way to convert all of my data? Something I can run directly from a command line, or a way to import the data into a new file?

-Thanks

Do you have investment accounts?
  • k_man81k_man81 Member
    edited November 2016
    Yes, I have investment accounts.
    edited August 2016
    k_man81 said:

Yes, I have investment accounts.

Then I don't know any other practical way to convert your data.

QIF file export/import would be a very difficult process, and probably ultimately produce unsatisfying results.

[Though I suppose you could use a mixture of QXF (which I was thinking of earlier) and QIF export/import. Still iffy. Don't know anyone who's done that, so far.]

I would do the Validate first. Actually, make it a super-Validate.

Go to File > File Operations. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT while left-clicking Validate and Repair. When the Validate and Repair dialog appears, the first box will say "Super validate file" (instead of "Validate file"). Put a check mark in the Super Validate box (at least) and maybe the rebuild lots box. Make note of the validate results - your can post them here, as an attachment.

[When the conversion was hanging; do you recall what part of the process it said it was engaged in?]
  • k_man81k_man81 Member
    edited November 2016
    NoWayJose - Ran the super validate, these are the results:

[Thu Dec 13 08:35:54 2012]
    File: "C:UsersXXXXXXXXX"
    QDF: Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Validating your data. Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL: No read errors.
    QEL: All internal consistency checks passed.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:36:54 2012] Quicken has found 3 stock split(s) for account XXXXX, on 6/27/2011 that might be missing.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:37:03 2012] Deleted price history.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:37:25 2012] Rebuilt price history.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:37:27 2012] Updated quotes.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:39:17 2012] Rebuilt investing lots. Super validation has completed.
    I'll try converting again after doing the super-validate...hopefully it did something that will make it work... (can't find my copy of 2012, so having to use a different computer).

The hang happened when it got to roughly 180,000 transactions it was converting.
    edited August 2016
    k_man81 said:

QDF: Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Damaged data block. Validating your data. Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.

[Thu Dec 13 08:36:54 2012] Quicken has found 3 stock split(s) for account XXXXX, on 6/27/2011 that might be missing.
    [Thu Dec 13 08:39:17 2012] Rebuilt investing lots. Super validation has completed.
    I'll try converting again after doing the super-validate...hopefully it did something that will make it work... (can't find my copy of 2012, so having to use a different computer).

The hang happened when it got to roughly 180,000 transactions it was converting.

What was the conversion displaying on the screen at the end of the "hang"? [Usually there is a running display of the progress, that might include something like "Converting price history".]
  • k_man81k_man81 Member
    edited November 2016
    k_man81 said:

It's crashing while it says:

Converting your data
    118741 items converted

(it's also stopped at 118797, and 118738)