Renaming rules not working

13»

Comments

• whitemulewhitemule Member
    edited July 2016
    dlk said:

I've been following this thread since the beginning but to date nothing suggested will cause renaming rules to work. I'm @ 2013 P R10 & I've checked all the boxes as describe here. I can see the renaming rule at work in the downloaded transaction area at the bottom of the register - "Kroger"POS Mac Kroger 124 Fort Wayne - waiting to be accepted. The rule is {If Payee Contains "Kroger"}. The downloaded Payee is {POS Mac Kroger 124}. The Memo field is {POS Mac Kroger 124 Fort Wayne}. I can revert to the original Payee & the Memo field, as shown after the """ is correct. Accepting the transaction inserts "POS Mac Kroger 124" not "Kroger".

I, too, am still experiecing the same issues with renaming rules, even with version 10 and even with all the appropriate changes to preferences made.  My financial institution's online site states, "Powered by Intuit", so I assume that the two systems would be compatible.  This feature was working wonderfully for me prior to the upgrade.  Now, having to manual rename every transaction during every download is a nightmare, not to mention a waste of hours of my time.  Why, oh why, did I ever upgrade?  Never again.
  • marker23marker23 Member
    edited July 2016
    (I am 2013/R10)

I have tried everything listed above. Nothing

Tonight, I deleted all my Naming rules and started over. Still does not work. I did a simple HOME DEPOT to HOME DEPOT and it did not correct any of my future HOME DEPOT transactions.

I am over it.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think you may be misunderstanding how renaming rules work.  What future transactions are you referring to?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited July 2016
    So. I have a name rule "HOME DEPOT". When I get download transactions. My HOME DEPOT looks like this #234237 Home Depot 234455. When I accept the tranasction is should turn  #234237 Home Depot 234455 "INTO" HOME DEPOT on the entry line.

What am I not understanding?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What are your preference settings for downloaded transactions - specifically in the during transaction download section and in the your renaming rules section?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Actually let me point something out, about what I have found with the timing of when renaming rules are applied, that might apply.
    From what I have seen they are applied before they are shown in the Downloaded Transactions tab.
    So if you download transactions, and see in that list something you want to change, and make a renaming rule, it will not be applied to these transactions.  It will be applied the to the next time you download a transaction like that.
  • dlkdlk Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Too All

OK, I believe all the pertinent choices for renaming in "Downloaded Transactions Preferences" are possibly opposite what we assume is their intent. I've UNCHECKED everything except "Capitalize first Letter......" (nothing to do with renaming) & renaming appears to be working. The one that really stands out is "Use my existing renaming rules". Rather counter-intuitive. I still contend, speaking from experience, this is a programming issue. The logic seems to be reversed. Easy to do. I've done it myself. Only the programmer can tell us what was actually intended for each switch.

All of this is still speculation since there is no definitive definition for each of these functions. Better documentation is the only real answer.

2013 P R10
  • edited July 2016

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I received an email from Intuit: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to your concern related to renaming rules. In Quicken if the renaming rules have been deleted and it is still renaming the payee because the payee name would be listed in the memorize payee list. So if your renaming rule is not working as it should then you need to delete all the renaming rule for that payee as well as you need to delete the memorized payee from the memorize payee list. There are chances that the payees in the memorize payee list has been corrupted due to which the renaming rule is not working for you. So you need to repair the memorize payee list in Quicken. So I would recommend you to create a copy of your data file because we don?t want to follow the steps in the original file:

A.) To make a copy of your file:
    1. Click on the File menu.
    2. Select File Operations, then choose Copy.
    3. When the Copy File window comes up, click on Browse.
    4. In the File Name field, put in a name for your new Quicken file and click on Save.
    5. Make sure the date range given will include all the transactions you have entered into your file.
    6. Click on OK.

After your file has copied, a window will appear saying "File Copied successfully", and ask you which file you would like to use: the Original file or the new copy. Select the New copy and press OK.

B.) Repairing the memorize payee list.
    1.) Hold down Control + T on your keyboard to open the memorize payee list.

Warning: The steps below would affect all the payee in the list and that is the reason we are following the steps in the copied file.

2.) Select the first payee in the list and hold down the shift and the down arrow key on the keyboard to select the entire payee list.
    3.) Once the entire payee list is selected >> click on Delete. Result this would delete the entire memorized payee list. Once it deletes all the payee then close the memorize payee list.
    4.) Click on the tools menu, let it be open and now hold down Control and shift key on the keyboard and by holding down these keys click on Memorize payee list. Result: It would recreate those payees which are not corrupted.

NOTE: Make sure that the renaming rule is deleted for the payees. If possible then delete all the renaming rules.

Now you can try to download the transaction from the bank and check if it works in the copied file. If it works then you can continue using the copied file as it has been fixed and has all your information that you have in your original file.

If the issue persist in the copied file then move back to the original file please follow the steps listed below:
    1.) Click on the file Menu.
    2.) In the drop down just above the exit button you will see the list of files that has been recently opened.
    3.) Click on the number 2 file that should be the original file.

I would request you to call us at 877-844-1515 from Monday to Friday between 10 am to 8 pm according to EST. As you are using 2013 so there would be no charge for the call as you are under one year free technical support which applies from the date of the purchase of the product.

Regards,
    UJ
    Quicken Product Support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The instructions above didn't solve my renaming rules problemA second call with an on-line interactive product support (9th Jan) provided the following steps:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Delete all memorized payees2) Delete all renaming rules3) Delete all do-not-rename rules4) [edit] [preferences] [register] [transaction entry] unclick [use automatic categorization]5) [edit] [preferences] [data entry and quickfill] unclick [recall memorized payee]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My downloaded transactions are no longer being incorrectly renamed because they are now not being renamed at all.I guess this is a step in the right direction. I will now attempt to create some new renaming rules and memorized payees.However I wish I could find some better documentation on how Quicken works and what all the check boxes in preferences do. For example the Quicken Help for "register preferences" has no mention of the "automatic categorization" checkbox. Is there a "missing manual" anywhere? (I think I had one for an older version).-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an example of a renaming rule not working properly.

I have a renaming rule:  change payee to: [Country Grocer] if payee contains [Country Grocer]
    The results are:

Payee=Eftpos Interacountry Grocer
    Downloaded Payee=EFTPOS Purchase - Interac
    Memo=Country Grocer Salt Spring Bccd
    Downloaded Memo=Country Grocer Salt Spring Bccd

I wonder if the "-" or the word "Purchase" in the downloaded  transaction are causing the problem.  Clearly Quicken has made a brave attempt to put "Country Grocer" as the Payee but unfortunately combined it with parts of the downloaded payee (EFTPOS and Intera), changing the upper and lower case as it sees fit.

Any ideas anyone??
    edited July 2016
    mshiggins
    During Transaction download (All boxes are checked)
    Your Renaming Rules (All Boxes are checked)

Quick'NPerlWiz

I guess we will have to wait till my next home depot charge. However, I disagree with this statement. I know in my old quicken it would change all my past entries.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm might be wrong, but I think I saw that once when I was testing the renaming rules in Quicken 2013.
  • dlkdlk Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Too All

OK, I believe all the pertinent choices for renaming in "Downloaded Transactions Preferences"  are possibly opposite what we assume their intent to be. I've UNCHECKED everything except "Capitalize first Letter......" (nothing to do with renaming) & renaming appears to be working.  The one that really stands out is "Use my existing renaming rules". Rather counter-intuitive.   I still contend, speaking from experience, this is a programming issue. The logic seems to be reversed. Easy to do. I've done it myself. Only the programmer can tell us what was actually intended for each switch.

All of this is still speculation since there is no definitive definition for each of these functions. Better documentation is the only real answer.

2013 P R10
  • dlkdlk Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Another finding

Renaming rules don't work if you're using the whole "Payee" or "Memo" field as downloaded.  Such as "POS       Mac Kroger              124" . Selecting just "Kroger" in this case or "Home Depot" or "Macys" does work. I suspect it has to do with the "white spaces" in the downloaded string. I've noticed that some of those "white spaces" are  removed when you copy & paste them into the rule or if you have "Automatically create renaming rules when I rename payees" checked.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yeah they changed the renaming rules to "smart" as in word based.  You can no longer do things like Starts With, or match a whole phrase.
  • UnhappyCamperUnhappyCamper Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks to the help of number of people on this thread, we've identified two Renaming Rules bugs in R7:

1. If downloaded transactions come from a brokerage-type account (for example a brokerage account with a debit card or check writing), your renaming rules are not being applied to that account. (Other accounts should not be affected.)

2. If you de-select a preference called "Use automatic categorization" (found in Edit > Preferences > Register) renaming rules are not to being applied. This preference should control just auto-categorization of new payees and payee name clean up for payees without renaming rules. Instead, un-checking this (incorrectly) causes renaming rules to stop working.

For now (R7), turning ON the "Use automatic categorization" pref should restore renaming rules for most customers.

Both of these issues are being worked on now and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks to everyone for bringing these issues to our attention and helping us get down to the root cause.
    jp

Have Quicken 2013 Deluxe R10..... Nothing I do will make the renaming rules work. I spent 2 hours deleting and restoring my file trying all the suggestions here.. I paid for the 2013 Upgrade and I wish I stayed at the previous version. Intuit! this is not fixed! Your support is bad as nuance.... I guess when your the only one has a monopoly on a product its OK for it to suck. Simply Shameful, leaving the users hanging. This problem isn't minor, its major.
  • dlkdlk Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Thanks to the help of number of people on this thread, we've identified two Renaming Rules bugs in R7:

1. If downloaded transactions come from a brokerage-type account (for example a brokerage account with a debit card or check writing), your renaming rules are not being applied to that account. (Other accounts should not be affected.)

2. If you de-select a preference called "Use automatic categorization" (found in Edit > Preferences > Register) renaming rules are not to being applied. This preference should control just auto-categorization of new payees and payee name clean up for payees without renaming rules. Instead, un-checking this (incorrectly) causes renaming rules to stop working.

For now (R7), turning ON the "Use automatic categorization" pref should restore renaming rules for most customers.

Both of these issues are being worked on now and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks to everyone for bringing these issues to our attention and helping us get down to the root cause.
    jp

@Unhappy
    Look up in these responses to a couple I posted 7 & 3 days ago. I believe you'll find some relief there. The thread has gotten rather long & some of the info is out of order - probably my fault.