Memorized Payee List (Show on Calender Option)

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in
After updating to Quicken Premier 2013 R11, one memorized payee which was not previously shown on the Calendar, now appears. I have to open my Memorized Payee List and uncheck Show on Calendar to to eliminate the Payee from the Drag & Drop list, anyone else seeing this after the latest update?

BTW, the Drag and Drop onto Calendar feature has still not been fixed in 2013, in previous versions it would schedule a future transaction, in this version it just enters it in the register. I reported this during Beta testing and it was assigned an issue, don't understand why it has not been fixed.

This was a very easy way to schedule an upcoming Bill and Income Reminder in the future for a repeating Payee, just curious if anyone else used this feature regularly and misses its ease of use. The much more cumbersome Create Bill and Income Reminder feature in this version, with its many prompts, is much more error prone and time consuming to use.

I upgraded from 2011, where the Create Bill and Income Reminder dialog box was within one window and the Drag & Drop onto Calendar feature worked as I described.
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    "don't understand why it has not been fixed."

Why don't you understand?  It isn't like Intuit is saying that they will get to fixing everything they acknowledge as a bug.

In other words, they didn't get to it, and may never get to it.
  • BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited July 2016
    Rich..............  As a beta tester, especially, you should be well aware what the deal is so to speak... why things aren't getting fixed.   Beta testing closed with many beta testers ranting, outraged, that many issues were not addressed, were pushed into the corner, down played, ignored, denied and such.  Hah, many things found at beta testing are still a muck today ....You will be lucky to see your issue corrected in 2014 let alone fixed at all.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Working features from previous versions that have been broken should have a high priority, if it was assigned an issue, it should get fixed, I am primarily interested in responses from other user who made regular use of this feature and are looking for a fix, I really miss it.

What response do you have regarding my main question, if any?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Another way to put it is your fix might have got sucked into the mobile black hole.  :-)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sorry I could resist!  I don't use the calendar these days so I can't comment, I take it for granted that you know what you are doing, so all I expect from this thread at the most is some more "me toos".  I'm not sure how much Intuit is looking at those here.  For that matter I have no idea how much they look at them on the GoRant site.
  • BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited July 2016
    8-)
    edited January 22
    Yes, I do agree that all of their resources are probably assigned to the Mobile & Alerts debacle.
    edited January 22
    I understand that they are late getting into the Mobile market game, but the rush to get in has only released a feature that basically does not work.  In addition they have broken the core product and don't seem to care, they are hurting their loyal customer base and will lose them in a heartbeat if a strong competitor enters the market and puts them to shame.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yeah I aree, but what "strong competitor" would be stupid enough to get into this market?   The financial institutions have basically set up a system (by the lack of a system) that means only a huge company that likes throwing money away can get into this shrinking market.
    edited January 22
    The "strong competitor" will not be stupid if they can introduce a superior product, there are too many dissatisfied Quicken users who would gladly jump ship for a better offering.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You missed the point.  Why do you think Microsoft left the market?  Because they were making tons of money and had no problems with support and cost?  If you listen to the people coming here you would believe that MS Money did everything better and world was so great, but still Microsoft choose to walk away from it.  Microsoft doesn't walk away from money, they walk away from things that are more trouble then they are worth.

Now what would that "trouble" be?  You have all these supposed great reviews by the users (I say supposed, because people always love something AFTER it is gone), but still there is not denying that it was a very good competing product to Quicken, maybe in some ways superior.  So it wasn't the "GUI", and it wasn't the data file, and it certainly wasn't the operating system.  So what could make it so that Microsoft found it to be "too much trouble for to little gain?"

There is only two things that do that.
    1) Not enough people want to buy the product because the market is in fact dieing.
    2) A cornerstone of this product space is downloading transactions from financial institution.  And because less then 2,400 out 22,000+ financial institution even support the only standard there is for this process all this has to be done "ad hock", which is VERY costly and "error prone" and subject to breaking all the time.

And now with mobile stuck on top of that!

When I got disgusted by Quicken 2007 (bought it too early in its release cycle), I create my own program, and I can tell you the downloading is by far the hardest thing to crack in a "general" way.  As in I could do it for me, for my financial institutions, but there would be no way I would even give a copy to my relatives, it would be too much of a support problem.  With Quicken 2007 it wasn't that I felt it was worthless I just felt that if they kept up doing such a bad job I would need a way for me do my finances and this was might "just in case" path.  Well in Intuit traditional methods they muddled through to make it so that it was still easier to use their product then for me to do it myself.  My time is worth something after all and even if Quicken isn't perfect it gets what I need done, so I move on, but I don't hold out hopes for a competitor to swoop in and "grab the ring".  Quicken going on 30 years old, and if you listen to people here it has been on the decline for at least the last 10 years.  That is plenty of time for those competitors to show their faces.  You go look at MoneyDance or iBank, and such, and just look at the size of those companies and tell me they are going to some how wave their hands and fix what I consider an unfix-able problem, because the main problems are the two things I listed above.

Those two are VERY tall hurdles for any company to get over.
    edited January 22
    I don't know what Intuit's user base world wide for Quicken is, maybe you know, but I still like this type of desktop software and don't know of a web based equivalent.   Of course I have heard of Mint, but it is a far cry from a Quicken equivalent.  Even so, if it existed, do you want to put all of your personal financial data out in the Cloud?   I don't think most people want to do that or trust it, websites are being hacked all the time and personal data is be compromised, it is not secure enough at this time.

I have used this product for decades and it gives me keen insights into my overall financial picture.  What troubles me is that the quality of recent releases has noticeably declined and there is no real alternative in the market, even worse, Intuit does not seem to even care, most troubling of all.

More competition would force Intuit to get their act together with Quicken and not be so complacent.

Where else can you get your entire financial picture in one place?  I certainly do not know.

BTW, although this discussion is interesting, it does not address my original question at all, no one has even commented on that.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I certainly agree with everything you said.  My only point is I don't see how a "strong competitor" will show up here.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I see Baldy49 is replying.  I know that he has eliminated #2 off of his list so he has a better chance, and as a matter fact can choose any version of Quicken he wants as long as he can get it to work on his current OS.  :-)
    edited January 22
    I don't know either, but would certainly welcome one.
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited July 2016
    Rich,

The invisible elephant in the market is MS Excel and its entire Office Suite.  I have a hunch over 75% of financial applications are based on Excel.  Intuit's strong suit is TurboTax, not Quicken.

Thus, there is little excess funds to fix old bugs much less add new fetures.

In the meantime, I still enjoy Quicken and just have leanred to work around any bugs.  All software has bugs of one sort or another.  We all learn to work around them and just forget all about them.

I remember when 13 column analysis pads did all the bookkeeping everywhere: Journals, Ledgers and Statements.  Old IBM punch card systems did the grunt work in summarizing all the data.  Today super computers do the grunt work and Excel analyzes and creates the financial statements.

I also believe software versions runs in cycles.  MS DOS 2.0 was a disaster.  However, MS DOS 2.1 was great.  I'm still hoping Intuit will hit the jackpot with the QW 2014 version which will be fully debugged in December, 2013.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you really want to name Intuit's strong suit it happens to be small businesses.  They make over 50% of their money from QuickBooks and the services around it.

Here's hoping that Quicken 2014 is the year!  :-)
    edited January 22
    I agree that TurboTax is the strong suite, I have used it for many years and have found it flawless from my perspective, cannot say the same for Quicken.
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited January 22
    From the Intuit Annual report shown here:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTU/2346466144x0x601997/05D8A0E5-30DA-4549-A295-84180EE0E16A...

It appears that Financial Solutions (including Quick Books and related services sells 17%; Employee Management Solutions sells 12%; Payment Solutions sells 10%; Consumer Tax including TurboTax and Professional Accountant Services sells 35%; Accounting Professionals sells 10%; Financial Services sells 9%; and all other busines including Quicken sells 9%.

Thus, the Tax products are the biggest seller.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTU/2346466144x0x601997/05D8A0E5-30DA-4549-A295-84180EE0E16A...

It appears that Financial Solutions (including Quick Books and related services sells 17%; Employee Management Solutions sells 12%; Payment Solutions sells 10%; Consumer Tax including TurboTax and Professional Accountant Services sells 35%; Accounting Professionals sells 10%; Financial Services sells 9%; and all other busines including Quicken sells 9%.

Opps!  Is could have sworn (and sort of did) that Quickbooks was 50%.
    Maybe what I really saw was services related to "small businesses".

BTW I believe (and I certainly can be wrong as proven above) that if you add Quicken, Mint, and Quicken bill pay together you get something like 2% of gross sales (mind you net might be pretty nasty with all the overhead for support and downloading transactions costs and such).
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

Thank you, Baldy49, for the stats, no surprise that TurboTax is the leader.
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited July 2016
    Baldy49 said:

Thanks for giving me that Thumbs Up.  I'm getting sucked into the Helper Score Game.  Its fascinating.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

Yeah they are fun to look sometimes.  One thing I find interesting is that some people have a much better helpful to answer ratio.  Like MsHiggins blows me out in that area.  I guess its because she is much more pleasant then I am.  ;-)
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited July 2016
    Baldy49 said:

I also notice that for the past week MsHiggins has 18 helpful votes out of 15 answers.  She has the best Thumbs Up to Down ratio.

For the last week I had just 11 helpful votes out of 35 answers.  As usual one is slower as one works up the Helper Learning Curve.

Actually, I had 17 thumbs up versus 6 thumbs down - many on the same answers.  It appears some of my answers help the OP but offend others.  BLOL.

If we only allowed OP's to vote, I may have had a better record.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

A lot of the SuperUsers think that the thumbs down should be eliminated or at least restricted to the OP.
    There were some other idea floated so that at least the thumbs down people are flagged better.

Like I said before lots of people vote down answers, not because they don't answer the question, but because they don't like the answer or they have some axe to grind.  Totally useless to the people trying to look at an answer and decide if it is a good answer.
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited July 2016
    Baldy49 said:

Only the OP really knows if an answer was helpful to THEM or not.  Only they should get the option to vote Thumbs Up or Down.  However, its also true that others may have benefitted from the answer.  I have in many threads and voted Thumbs Up even though I did not ask the question.

Leaving a Thumbs Down only for the OP would be the best compromise.  If the OP thinks the answer was useless, let him vote that way.  For others to vote that way is really more about competition for "Help Ranks" here and other competitive factors unrelated to the question or the answer.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Baldy49 said:

"For others to vote that way is really more about competition for "Help Ranks" here ...".

But you're the only one in that (non-existent) "competition".
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

I don't know, I think a lot of us sort of compete.  :-)
    But really most SuperUsers just get caught up being able to help people and that is what the real reward/addiction is.
  • Baldy49Baldy49 Member
    edited July 2016
    Baldy49 said:

Help ranks are the incentive for many of us to come back and play the game.  Many would instead play other online games like chess or Steam games.  Many of us help others for the fun of gaining Thumbs Uo Points.  Allowing others than OP's to use Thumbs Down even more intensifies the competition.  I still say only OP's should be allowed the Thumbs Down.  Than they could be used as learning toos for the Helpers.  If we got a Thumbs Down from an OP, we would have to rethink that particular answer we offered and could learn from it to do better.  This way it just reflects competitive emotions.
    edited December 2016
    Baldy49 said:

I agree it is nice to get that "Thumbs Up" affirmation, letting you know your answer helped others out.  It is interesting that you are not notified as to who gave you a "Thumbs Down".