Bug Report - Alert Incorrectly Advising of Projected Low Balance

The MergThe Merg ✭✭✭Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
Using Q2013 H&B, I received an alert that my checking account would be below the minimum that I set on 03/20 due to my scheduled bills. I went to the Bills, pulled up Projected Balances, and selected the account in question. In viewing the upcoming projected balances, the balance for the account in question never comes close the minimum that I have set. Obviously, something is wrong there.

I then got another alert for a balance going below $0. However, in this case, the balance does hit $0 every month. I have an account set up to handle a semi-monthly payment for my mortgage. After two payments are made into it, I have a withdrawal for the full amount for the mortgage payment. As such, the account will have a $0 balance, but will never be below $0.

I've attached some screen shots of this issue.

- Mergimageimage

Comments

• Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara ✭✭✭✭ Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    When you look at Tools > Alerts Center, what is the exact Alert you're questioning? (I don't find any Alert for Projected balances, just the ones for actual balances, but I might be looking at something different than what you're seeing)
  • The MergThe Merg ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I should be a little more clear. I have the Alerts set to notify me if my balance will be below the minimum balance on Bank Accounts. In the first account, I set a minimum of $2,500. On 03/14, I had an Alert that the projected balance for my checking account would be below its minimum on 03/20. I went to the Bills tab, selected Projected Balances, and the account in question never comes close to the minimum that I have set.

For the second account, it is a Cash account and in the Alerts section for minimum balances, it is not even listed, yet it still warns me that I will be below $0 even though it will never be below $0.

Does that clarify things?

Thanks,
    Merg
    edited October 2018
    I'm providing screenshots to illustrate what I see and why I'm asking about Projected Balances in regards to the bank account minimum balance alerts. In the screenshots I'm adding, I've highlighted the text specific to the Alerts.

Bank Account Minimum Balance Alert (screenshot #1) - states that it will Alert when the account reaches the Remind Me minimum balance and again at the actual minimum balance you set. This means actual posted transactions, not pending/unposted Reminders or Projected Balances.

Monthly Expenses (screenshot #2) - states that it will Alert when you've spent more on a Category for the Month than the amount you've set for the Alert. This means actual posted transactions, not projected balances.

Scheduled Bills & Deposits Reminder (screenshot #3), that might possibly be interpreted as projected balances reminder, is only the notification that you have Remind Me transactions that are coming due based on the "Remind Me X-Days before" setting you created on the Reminder during creation or edit.

With these Alerts being the only places where I could see the possible confusion about Projected Balances, it's possible I'm not looking at the same things you are for the Alerts. If you can help me understand what you're seeing/setting/selecting in the Alerts Center or where I'm just not getting what you're reporting, I can better determine if this is a bug or if there's clarification of our Help or in-product messaging that needs to be created.imageimageimage
  • ronhall42ronhall42 ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tamara, I don't see the banking alerts on my Tools/Alerts screen. Attached snip. Q13 R11 Win8. Also, see no way to attach to a comment here. ronimage
    edited July 2016

I'm providing screenshots to illustrate what I see and why I'm asking about Projected Balances in regards to the bank account minimum balance alerts. In the screenshots I'm adding, I've highlighted the text specific to the Alerts.

Bank Account Minimum Balance Alert (screenshot #1) - states that it will Alert when the account reaches the Remind Me minimum balance and again at the actual minimum balance you set. This means actual posted transactions, not pending/unposted Reminders or Projected Balances.

Monthly Expenses (screenshot #2) - states that it will Alert when you've spent more on a Category for the Month than the amount you've set for the Alert. This means actual posted transactions, not projected balances.

Scheduled Bills & Deposits Reminder (screenshot #3), that might possibly be interpreted as projected balances reminder, is only the notification that you have Remind Me transactions that are coming due based on the "Remind Me X-Days before" setting you created on the Reminder during creation or edit.

With these Alerts being the only places where I could see the possible confusion about Projected Balances, it's possible I'm not looking at the same things you are for the Alerts. If you can help me understand what you're seeing/setting/selecting in the Alerts Center or where I'm just not getting what you're reporting, I can better determine if this is a bug or if there's clarification of our Help or in-product messaging that needs to be created.imageimageimage

I'll post some screenshots of the Alerts later today. I have a backup with the Alerts still there.

- Merg
    edited December 2016
    ronhall42 said:

Tamara, I don't see the banking alerts on my Tools/Alerts screen. Attached snip. Q13 R11 Win8. Also, see no way to attach to a comment here. ronimage

Which flavor of 2013 are you using, Ron? I took those snips from my Premier installation, so maybe I need to check other flavors.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark ✭✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    ronhall42 said:

"I don't see the banking alerts ....".

Try going to View > Tabs to show, and selecting "Spending".

And there is no way to "attach" to a comment here ... though it's been requested.
  • ronhall42ronhall42 ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ronhall42 said:

tammara:
    Q13 Home and Business.

Thanks NWJ.  This brought the banking alerts back.  don't understand it but it's no real problem anyway. Q really acts strangely at times but to no real consequence. ron
    edited October 2018
    Okay... Here are the screen shots. You can see that it is projecting that I will have a balance below my minimum and below $0 for the two accounts in question...

In the case of the Checking Account, the Projected Balance does not come close to the minimum that I have set in the Alerts/Banking section. Also, the Mortgage account does not have a minimum set, yet it is warning me that I will be below $0, when in fact, it will never be below $0.

- Mergimageimage
    edited July 2016

I posted the screen shots attached to an answer below.

- Merg
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark ✭✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Merg said:

Okay... Here are the screen shots. You can see that it is projecting that I will have a balance below my minimum and below $0 for the two accounts in question...

In the case of the Checking Account, the Projected Balance does not come close to the minimum that I have set in the Alerts/Banking section. Also, the Mortgage account does not have a minimum set, yet it is warning me that I will be below $0, when in fact, it will never be below $0.

- Mergimageimage

Actually, your mortgage account should always have a balance below $0, so I'm not sure that's a problem to focus on.
    edited December 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

And I think where we're having additional confusion is the reference to Projected Balance. The Alerts are for POSTED not Projected values. The "projected" transaction(s) would have to be posted to the account in order to impact the Alert.
    edited July 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

NWJ,

The account that I mentioned as the Mortgage is not an actual Mortgage account. It is a Cash account that I use to keep track of my semi-monthly payments. For example, on the 15th and 30th of every month, I transfer $1,000 into the Semi-Monthly account. On the 2nd of every month, I transfer $2,000 out of the account to my Mortgage.

Tamara,

If the Alerts are for Posted and not Projected values, then why is it telling me that I WILL go below my Minimum Balance on a date in the future? Also, as I read how Projected balances are determined, it uses my upcoming Bills/Deposits to determine them. I do not have any kind of Budget set up in Quicken.

Also, even if it is for Posted values, why is the Semi-Monthly Mortgage account showing that I will be below $0, when that account is never below $0?

- Merg
    edited December 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

That's the information I was looking for earlier - your most recent screenshot with the Alert Center showing the reference to the scheduled bills & deposits is exactly what I needed to see to understand what you were looking at. I'll run this past engineering for their input. Thank you!
    edited July 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

I'll be waiting for their answer. :)

- Merg
    edited July 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

Just following up as it's been a week now...

- Merg
    edited December 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

Sorry, are you expecting a resolution in your current version? I apologize if I gave that impression. When a bug report or change request is submitted, it must go through various processes and even then might not be something that can or will be implemented in your current product.  However, if you're currently looking for validation that you were heard and that your report would be sent up the line to engineering, that was the intention of my 3/27/13 post (above).
    edited July 2016
    The Merg said:

- Mergimageimage

Gotcha. I thought by the comment of "running this past engineering for their input" meant that you were going to post back as to whether this was a confirmed bug.

Thanks,
    Merg