What are the dates for "Important Tax Dates" alerts?

leishirsuteleishirsute Member
edited January 22 in

I cannot locate detail documentation about the actual dates Quicken considers to be important tax dates for which it provides an alert.

Does anyone know how to access this information?

Also, how many days in advance are tax alerts issued? Is there a way to control the tax date alert time window?

Thanks

Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22

Have you tried IRS.gov?
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

I am trying to understand what Quicken considers important tax dates for which it issues Tax Date alerts.  Going to IRS.gov would not answer questions how Quicken works.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22

I don't know that those dates are documented anywhere. They would start with the Estimated tax payment dates. Probably not too much farther than that.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

I would hope Quicken's idea of important and the IRS published dates would have a very strong correlation.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • dbAnalystdbAnalyst Member
    edited July 2016
    q.lurker said:

I don't know that those dates are documented anywhere. They would start with the Estimated tax payment dates. Probably not too much farther than that.

April 15th (or whatever if that's a weekend) and the "extended filing due date" would probably be candidates also.
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

I would hope we wouldn't have to hope how Quicken works and actually see some documentation.
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

Isn't there any definitive documentation?  Is there anything that shows up in a Quicken reminder list that shows the upcoming tax alerts?  Why do we have to guess at how Quicken works?
    edited July 2016
    q.lurker said:

Have you bothered to search on "Alerts" in Q Help?  Looks like a pretty good explanation to me, both of what gets "alerted" and how you can set your own.  It specifically states "filing dates".
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

I agree. But there doesn't seem to be any other than the vague online help text. To the best of my recollection, the list of dates is the April filing date, the old August "first extension" date (which no longer applies, at least federally), the October "2nd extension" date (which is the real extended date), and the 4 estimated tax dates.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

My mom used to say "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride".
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited July 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

What's vague about "filing dates"?
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

It's vague because dates can change. As exemplified by the obsolete August extension date which is still in my Q2013 version, and moving filing dates because of falling on a weekend.
    edited July 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

But the April filing date, while usually April 15th, can be the 17th or later when the 15th is a Saturday and the 17th is a DC Holiday.  Would you expect them to list every date going forward?  With the possibilities that Congress will change something ... thus rendering those dates incorrect?
    "Filing dates" are values that are easily obtained (from IRS.GOV for one).  I'd rather have Q specify the TYPE of value (a variable) rather than a specific that could be changed and thus become inaccurate.
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

I don't want to argue with you. I think the OP asked a perfectly valid question.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

But the online version of the help (http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/account-transaction-issues/how-to-setup-financial-alerts/GEN82296.html) includes this text the latter part of which I find to be a bit ambiguous:

"Tax alerts notify you of important tax dates, such as April 15. They can also use tax-related Quicken data as stored in the Tax Planner. For example, if you've used Paycheck Setup to schedule your paycheck , information about paycheck deductions is included in each paycheck transaction and stored in the Tax Planner. This information is used to determine if you are withholding enough in taxes. If you are not, a tax alert is triggered. If an alert seems wrong, review your tax information in the Tax Planner."

I think the OP is questioning the first sentence - important tax dates - and I would concur with respect to the normal filing date, and the four estimated filing dates.  I could also believe the extension dates.  I don't know if the latter section constitute important tax dates (they don't in my mind).  

It is also clear that none of the otherwise knowledgeable superusers (other Quicken users) have specifics.  At that point, the best I can suggest for leishirsute to do is post a request on https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken to have Intuit provde more specificity on their support site.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member
    edited August 2016
    q.lurker said:

I concur with q.lurker.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

We pay how much EACH AND EVERY year to update this program?  That should INCLUDE accurate dates for annual tax return due date, quarterly due dates, extension dates etc.  Of course I agree with the OP that the dates that Quicken considers Important Tax Dates should be given as the actual dates for a specific year.  Anything less is lazy programming.
    edited July 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

But a great many people use the program for multiple (many?) years.  Are you suggesting that Q should provide the info for, say, the version year only?  And thereby insinuate that the dates will be the same in future years ... which they clearly aren't?
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

Oh, and to further not answer... where the OP asks "Also, how many days in advance are tax alerts issued?  Is there a way to control the tax date alert time window?" my answers are "I don't know" and "apparently not."
  • SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

The obvious answer is YES because the important tax dates do shift and should only apply to the year of the program, say Quicken 2014, with the notation that the dates for future years may be different and subject to change.

To say that the important dates will always be April 15, June 15, September 15, January 15th etc. etc. when in fact they may or may not be is just lazy programming.

If you keep the program for more than the current year then it is up to the user to know when those dates are and the Quicken tax alert should be smart enough to point this out to them and then steer them to the IRS.gov to get the correct current information.
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

Thanks for everyone's reply.  I was hoping for detailed documentation that listed the tax days Quicken deemed important.  Are estimated tax due dates listed?  Is last day to file taxes after an extension listed?  Is there any place to find this out?   I understand the actual dates may change but what tax events are provided reminders?
    edited December 2016

Have you tried IRS.gov?

Knowing that it reminds on any type of filing event date (understanding that it may be off a couple of days) is good enough for me.  However, Quicken goes online to download quotes and updates.  It could certainly get an update each year for the exact filing dates.  Also, being a software developer I understand the difference between poor and good documentation.  Thanks for everyone's replies.  This request can be closed without a definitive answer.