Password vault not accepting Discover password

rob2880rob2880 Member
edited January 11 in

Due to all the recent data breaches, I have changed all of my financial institution passwrods. Discover card allows you to use most characters (@ % & etc). When I enter my new Discover password in the vault, I get a popup that says 'To continue, enter password for the following institutions (Discover Card)'. I renter password, same thing. I am stuck in an endless loop. Any idea why quicken assumes that I can't use my password and will not accept it as valid?

Comments

• edited January 11

There are 3 special characters that are forbidden to use with passwords
    • left caret <
    • right caret >
    • ampersand &
    If your new Discover password uses any one of these 3 characters, you won't be able to use it in Quicken. You'll need to change it at the Discover website, then try your update in Quicken again.

One of the best ways to ensure that all of your accounts with a specific financial institution get updated with the most current password is to follow these instructions:
    1. Open the Account List - Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A.
    2. If the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox is available at the bottom of the list, make sure it's checked. You won't see this box if you have no Hidden Accounts.
    3. Find each account for this financial institution and, one at a time, click the Edit button and go to the Online Services tab to Deactivate, in order to remove the Update connection.
    4. When all accounts for this financial institution are Deactivated, close the Account List.
    5. Click the Add Account button at the bottom of the account bar (down the side of Quicken).
    6. Choose the appropriate account type, type in the name of the financial institution and enter your newly updated login credentials.
    7. When Quicken returns the accounts it discovers at the financial institution for these credentials, carefully use LINK to link the found accounts with those that already exist in your Quicken file.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016

• left caret <
    • right caret >
    • ampersand &
    If your new Discover password uses any one of these 3 characters, you won't be able to use it in Quicken. You'll need to change it at the Discover website, then try your update in Quicken again.

One of the best ways to ensure that all of your accounts with a specific financial institution get updated with the most current password is to follow these instructions:
    2. If the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox is available at the bottom of the list, make sure it's checked. You won't see this box if you have no Hidden Accounts.
    3. Find each account for this financial institution and, one at a time, click the Edit button and go to the Online Services tab to Deactivate, in order to remove the Update connection.
    4. When all accounts for this financial institution are Deactivated, close the Account List.
    5. Click the Add Account button at the bottom of the account bar (down the side of Quicken).
    6. Choose the appropriate account type, type in the name of the financial institution and enter your newly updated login credentials.
    7. When Quicken returns the accounts it discovers at the financial institution for these credentials, carefully use LINK to link the found accounts with those that already exist in your Quicken file.
    Tamara, In a post yesterday a user reported the "$" character was preventing his password from being recognized in Quicken account download.
    http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-will-not-connect-to-my-discover-card-account
  • rob2880rob2880 Member
    edited July 2016

• left caret <
    • right caret >
    • ampersand &

Tamara, thank you. This fixed the issue I was having
  • kk60kk60 Member
    edited July 2016

• left caret <
    • right caret >
    • ampersand &

Looks like the percent character "%" is not liked as well.  At least not with Discover Card, however it worked through Discover Card Account Center.  My Discover Personal Loan still has the problem though (and it has a percent character in the password now too.)