Reconciling Linked accounts

DRSDRS Member
edited September 2018 in
Once again when I download and past month end for a linked account, Q includes as cleared and reconciled post month end entries.

I am unable to treat those entries as uncleared without deleting them and re-entering them. That is a real pain since I have 6 linked accounts and multiple entries for each.

I am forced to either download them at exactly month end in order to accept all or accept each entry one at a time until I have all of the entries for the month. That can be 20 or 30 entries.

I hope Intuit will solve this problem in the near future. It makes the product nearly worthless if I must do all of this manual work to get the product right. In addition, it means I can't update my accounts after month end until I have my statements and reconcile them. That means accounts are 10 to 15 days behind unless I go online to chase down my reports.

Comments

• jamestaft422jamestaft422 Member
    edited July 2016
    During reconcile, when I attempt to change the status of a transaction in the linked account that is incorrectly marked "R-reconciled" I get the message "make this change from the investment account to avoid losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from the Edit menu."  This is a fine idea, but the transaction is correctly marked as "C-cleared" in the Investment account and no change made there effects the linked account.  There does not seem any way around this either than previously stated to reenter the transactions.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Have these linked accounts been in existence for a number of years (and several Quicken versions) or did they originate from a conversion from Microsoft Money?
    Have you ever had system crashes (or Quicken crashing) while Quicken was running?
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    All are quicken over many versions.  None were from MM.  Fortunatly,  I have not had any crashes.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My issue is the same.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Please call quicken support and report this glitch in the program, so it will get fixed.
  • DRSDRS Member
    edited January 2017
    I have spent hours on the phone seeking a solution.  Hopefully they will fix soon.  I am afraid to download and enter June transactions until I reconcile May.

The problem has been persistent for at least 3 months.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DRS said:

I have spent hours on the phone seeking a solution.  Hopefully they will fix soon.  I am afraid to download and enter June transactions until I reconcile May.

I'm sure Quicken knows of the glich.  It had to be bad code in one of the updates.  IF MORE PEOPLE COMPLAIN & EMAIL QUICKEN, MAYBE THEY WILL RESPOND!
  • edited July 2016

Yesterday I spent over two hours in an online chat with a Quicken tech concerning this same problem. He was unable to help. He persisted in telling me to hit CTRL-R from the linked cash account and select to reconcile the account using either the online or the paper balance. I continued to tell him that CTRL-R takes me directly to the Reconcile Detail screen; I have never been presented with the selection screen he kept insisting was there. I have seen this screen with simple cash accounts but not "linked" accounts. (Is this what the rest of you are experiencing?) This is how I spent the first hour of my chat.

I mentioned numerous forum postings over several months regarding this problem, yet the tech seemed completely unaware.

Please post any suggestions that anyone can find to help us out here.

Thank you!
  • rchornerchorne Member
    edited December 2017

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I just stumbled across a solution that worked for my two linked cash/investment accounts. I was experiencing what sounds like the same problems others have been having with reconciling when Quicken was automatically marking downloaded transactions as "R"econciled before I did an actual reconciliation against my paper statements. Anyway, here's what I did to resolve this problems in my two accounts:

The first thing is to make sure you have backups. I did redundant backups just to be safe. Then go to the investment account of the linked accounts. From the "Actions" menu, go to "Edit Account Details." You can also just hit Ctrl-Shift-E. Within this new screen is an option to "Show cash in checking account." If yours was set up like mine, it is currently selecting "yes." Hold your breath and click "No" and click OK. Then be prepared to wait an ungodly amount of time, depending on your file size. My system even shut down a couple of times while doing this, occasionally throwing up an error screen. I don't know what my system or I was doing wrong, but it took me several attempts to unlink the two accounts, restoring the file back to the original version each time there was a problem. When it does finally work, you are left with only the investment account, which now contains everything, including all of your cash transactions. Double check your ending balance to be sure. I backed this file up as well to avoid having to unlink them again if something else went wrong.

Now go back to the "Edit Account Details" screen and click "Yes" under "Show cash in checking account." Again, kick back because this might take a while as well. Again, my system screwed up a couple of times, but I was able to restore this time to the unlinked version of the file and resume to link from there. Eventually, it worked.

I then proceeded to the reconcile screen. Some of my earlier reconciled items appeared as unreconciled, but the investment transfers that had previously given me headaches were now all as they should be. I had to go through and re-reconcile the earlier reconciled items that now appeared as unreconciled, but after doing that everything worked great. It balanced to the penny for the first time in months.

I then successfully repeated this process with my second cash/investment account. So, whatever was my problem appears to be corrected. The proof will be next month when I get my next statements.

I won't guarantee that this (tedious) procedure will work for anyone else, but here's hoping it will. Let me know if it does. Good luck!
  • DRSDRS Member
    edited July 2016
    rchorne said:

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I just stumbled across a solution that worked for my two linked cash/investment accounts. I was experiencing what sounds like the same problems others have been having with reconciling when Quicken was automatically marking downloaded transactions as "R"econciled before I did an actual reconciliation against my paper statements. Anyway, here's what I did to resolve this problems in my two accounts:

The first thing is to make sure you have backups. I did redundant backups just to be safe. Then go to the investment account of the linked accounts. From the "Actions" menu, go to "Edit Account Details." You can also just hit Ctrl-Shift-E. Within this new screen is an option to "Show cash in checking account." If yours was set up like mine, it is currently selecting "yes." Hold your breath and click "No" and click OK. Then be prepared to wait an ungodly amount of time, depending on your file size. My system even shut down a couple of times while doing this, occasionally throwing up an error screen. I don't know what my system or I was doing wrong, but it took me several attempts to unlink the two accounts, restoring the file back to the original version each time there was a problem. When it does finally work, you are left with only the investment account, which now contains everything, including all of your cash transactions. Double check your ending balance to be sure. I backed this file up as well to avoid having to unlink them again if something else went wrong.

Now go back to the "Edit Account Details" screen and click "Yes" under "Show cash in checking account." Again, kick back because this might take a while as well. Again, my system screwed up a couple of times, but I was able to restore this time to the unlinked version of the file and resume to link from there. Eventually, it worked.

I then proceeded to the reconcile screen. Some of my earlier reconciled items appeared as unreconciled, but the investment transfers that had previously given me headaches were now all as they should be. I had to go through and re-reconcile the earlier reconciled items that now appeared as unreconciled, but after doing that everything worked great. It balanced to the penny for the first time in months.

I then successfully repeated this process with my second cash/investment account. So, whatever was my problem appears to be corrected. The proof will be next month when I get my next statements.

I won't guarantee that this (tedious) procedure will work for anyone else, but here's hoping it will. Let me know if it does. Good luck!

This solution may work.  However, I'm afraid to try it.  I have at least 6 accounts some as old as 10 years that would be affected by this solution.  I"m really afraid to try this solution with that much data or take the time that would be required to make it work.

This problem only came about with Q14.  I hope Quicken is reading these blogs and taking the steps necessary to fix the problem or at least allow us to manually change linked entries from "cleared" to "uncleared".

In the meantime, I don't enter any downloaded transactions for a linked account occurring after the closing date until I have reconciled the account.  That keeps the phantom entries from affecting the reconciliation.  The disadvantage is that I often can't update these accounts for 10 days or more if I wait for the paper statements or I must use on-line statements for the reconciliation.
  • rchornerchorne Member
    edited July 2016
    rchorne said:

I understand your reluctance.  I was nervous as well but knew I had redundant backups to save me.  Like you, this happened when I upgraded to Q14.  Hopefully, Intuit comes up with a solution for everyone.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DRS said:

This still has not been fixed
  • fletcherfletcher Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DRS said:

Is there any sense that they even know of this problem. I spent three hours in an online chat with a Quicken tech with the same problem and he did not seem to indicate that this was a known problem. I finally just gave up.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DRS said:

I called support about 10 days ago. Support is clueless about this problem & asked to escalate - which they refused.  I am trying to locate a email address to email Quicken about the problem.  They supposedly monitor this community, so if I say QUICKEN SUCKS maybe someone will look into this problem and fix it.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I called support about 10 days ago. Support is clueless about this problem & asked to escalate - which they refused.  I am trying to locate a email address to email Quicken about the problem.  They supposedly monitor this community, so if I say QUICKEN SUCKS maybe someone will look into this problem and fix it.
  • EmanEman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    rchorne said: