Home

Change target category for mortgage interest on loan payments.

HowardSpindelHowardSpindel Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in

I just noticed this issue with Quicken 2014 when I started looking at my taxes.

Prior to Q2014, I had my mortgage payment loan set up so that the interest was posted to category "MortgagePayment".

Q2014 created a new category "Loan Payment: Interest" and posts interest there. This is not good because this category would also cover non-deductible interest. I can manually modify the loan payments to specify MortgagePayment as the tracking category. But how do I modify the built-in loan payment so it goes to the categories I want?

With previous versions, I could do this, but I can't find a way to edit the categories associated with a mortgage loan in Q2014.

Thanks.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

When they added the capability to download loans (a bad idea IMO) in 2014, they made the loan interest category unchangeable in the reminder.

You can change it after the reminder has been accepted, but that is a hassle.

Complain about it and suggest they change it at: http://getsatisfaction.com/quicken I'm sure there is already a suggestion there about it, so try to find it and vote it up. Maybe someday, they will get smart and change it.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• HowardSpindelHowardSpindel Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    splasher said:

When they added the capability to download loans (a bad idea IMO) in 2014, they made the loan interest category unchangeable in the reminder.

You can change it after the reminder has been accepted, but that is a hassle.

Complain about it and suggest they change it at: http://getsatisfaction.com/quicken I'm sure there is already a suggestion there about it, so try to find it and vote it up. Maybe someday, they will get smart and change it.

Thank you for the reply.  I bumped the complaint count on the posts on getsatisfaction.