What does "Update Transactions" do?

SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in

After downloading transactions, there is a window that says, "downloaded transactions," which is in the bottom/ right-middle of the screen. There is a button there that says, "update transactions." So that would just add those downloaded transactions to the rest of the transactions (ones which I already have entered in for that account)?

Or does this "update transactions" try to do another import from my bank

Comments

• BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited June 2018
    Silverthunder.......... Did you try it to see for yourself 8-) Don't be afraid to poke around lets say. You won't hurt anything.. Especially, as a new Quicken user, get into the habit of doing a Quicken manual backup just before you start poking, testing, clicking, learning about Quicken. THEN, have at it! With that Quicken manual back-up you just made, you can do a quick Quicken restore if needed and get right back to square one. Example... You do a Quicken manual back-up... you then do a One Step Update and pull your transactions.. you fool with things, get lost, are unsure, oh my.. Well, do a Quicken restore using that Quicken back-up made just before your One Step update and you can well, do another One Step Update and pull all those transactions down again. I'm just trying to get in your mind that with a manual back-up you can do wrong, learn, etc. and no harm, no foul.
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/backup--restore--file-issues/how-to-backup-or-restore-your-q...
    ------
    Start now, doing Quicken manual backups to Microsoft's "One Drive" or DropBox, etc. for free.
    Manual back-ups can also be done using a USB memory stick, external hard, etc.

The CTRL+B keyboard stroke combo, while in Quicken takes a second to press and your manual back-up goes immediately to One Drive on your computer and to the cloud. Having a copy(s) of your Quicken data file off site (in case your house floods, burns, computer/other backup media is stolen, etc. is highly recommended! You do not have to pay a fee to anyone to do this!

Having recent Quicken data file backups is of importance. Again, manual Quicken backup is a mere 2 keystroke combo. Takes a second just before you close Quicken.

If you would rather do a mouse click to initiate Quicken manual back-up, go to your customizable tool bar at the top of Quicken and right mouse click it. You can choose there an icon for backup that will be place on your toolbar to use when you want to do a speedy manual backup.
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    BillArf said:

Silverthunder.......... Did you try it to see for yourself 8-) Don't be afraid to poke around lets say. You won't hurt anything.. Especially, as a new Quicken user, get into the habit of doing a Quicken manual backup just before you start poking, testing, clicking, learning about Quicken. THEN, have at it! With that Quicken manual back-up you just made, you can do a quick Quicken restore if needed and get right back to square one. Example... You do a Quicken manual back-up... you then do a One Step Update and pull your transactions.. you fool with things, get lost, are unsure, oh my.. Well, do a Quicken restore using that Quicken back-up made just before your One Step update and you can well, do another One Step Update and pull all those transactions down again. I'm just trying to get in your mind that with a manual back-up you can do wrong, learn, etc. and no harm, no foul.
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/backup--restore--file-issues/how-to-backup-or-restore-your-q...
    ------
    Start now, doing Quicken manual backups to Microsoft's "One Drive" or DropBox, etc. for free.
    Manual back-ups can also be done using a USB memory stick, external hard, etc.

The CTRL+B keyboard stroke combo, while in Quicken takes a second to press and your manual back-up goes immediately to One Drive on your computer and to the cloud. Having a copy(s) of your Quicken data file off site (in case your house floods, burns, computer/other backup media is stolen, etc. is highly recommended! You do not have to pay a fee to anyone to do this!

Having recent Quicken data file backups is of importance. Again, manual Quicken backup is a mere 2 keystroke combo. Takes a second just before you close Quicken.

If you would rather do a mouse click to initiate Quicken manual back-up, go to your customizable tool bar at the top of Quicken and right mouse click it. You can choose there an icon for backup that will be place on your toolbar to use when you want to do a speedy manual backup.

You are right.  I do have to get this "hammered" into my head.  Constantly back up :)  
    I think I got a little bit gun shy of "trying things and seeing what happens" because I tried Quicken for Mac 2015 and was forced to come back to Quicken for Windows after spending a fair bit of time on Quicken for Mac 2015.  I read through some of the negative comments on Quicken for Mac and most if it didn't get much into specifics (admittedly, I didn't read through more than about 10-15% of the comments before jumping in).

Unfortunately, it's a few clicks to backup to drop box because I am using Mac Parallels (to run Windows on a Mac computer).