how do i do an online transfer in mac 2016

frankfrank Member
edited June 2018 in

Mac 2016 is supposed to be able to transfer money between different accounts as long on you have online banking.  How is the transaction created to do this?

Comments

• dranobobdranobob Member
    edited February 2017
    I don't have 2016 yet, my assumption is this is transferring between accounts that are within the same bank.  This requires Direct Connect service that has to be provided first by your bank.  Of course that is based on earlier versions of Quicken, so perhaps there are new features?

do you have a source/link to what your references as being able to transfer money between different accounts?
  • frankfrank Member
    edited January 2017
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/features  its the 2nd new feature
    edited February 2017
    great, thanks for the link.
    edited February 2017
    it definitely looks like Direct Connect service.  Your bank will need to offer this service.  Some do this for free, some charge a fee, but Quicken does not ever charge for this service (some banks try to play this off as a quicken charge).  

First step is to check with your bank to see if they support Direct Connect.  Then check to see if you need to activate it at your bank because some banks use a separate login.

I apologize, I'm still waiting on my Quicken 2016 copy and there doesn't appear to be online docs on how to do an "online" transfer.  Hopefully another use will have an answer for you shortly.
  • Quicken ColinQuicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Good afternoon,

I understand how the situation can be confusing.  I can confirm what doctorbob has stated, that the transfer ability is an extension of Bill Pay.  To use Bill Pay you have to be set up with a Direct Connect connection type and have a financial institution that supports Bill Pay through quicken.  I would suggest reaching out to them to see if these services are offered.  If they are then let them know that you, as a customer, would like to see them as an option available for your account.

Best of luck
    Colin
  • frankfrank Member
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

I understand how the situation can be confusing.  I can confirm what doctorbob has stated, that the transfer ability is an extension of Bill Pay.  To use Bill Pay you have to be set up with a Direct Connect connection type and have a financial institution that supports Bill Pay through quicken.  I would suggest reaching out to them to see if these services are offered.  If they are then let them know that you, as a customer, would like to see them as an option available for your account.

Best of luck
    Colin

Huh, quicken mac 2016 has  a new feature.  I have direct connect and bill pay with PNC.  How do I enable this feature or enter the transaction in Quicken Mac 2016.  what you are describing sound like I go to the bank website separately and do this.  if that is the case then this is not new and not a feature of quicken.
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

We are referring to Bill Pay through Quicken.  Not just by going to the site.  This is a feature offered by the financial institutions.  To check to see if it's available select the account on the left, then click settings in the lower right.  In the settings window you should see your connection method.  If you are set up for Direct Connect, and if the FI supports Bill Pay, you will see a Yes/No option to enable it.
  • frankfrank Member
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

It show that bill pay is available, but i don't see the yes/no that you mention.  Please answer my original question, how do I create a transaction to transfer money between accounts within quicken.  I create a transfer as usual with the transfer column but nothing happens when I update the account.
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

What, exactly, does it say next to Bill Pay in the settings window?  You cannot initiate a transfer if that is not set up.  The article on the transfer process, however, can be found here: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/HOW25521.html
  • frankfrank Member
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

the setting window shows the name of the "financial institution", the "connection type" and it show direct connect and "bill pay" and that shows on.  How do you set up a transfer other than enter a transaction and selecting the account in the transfer column?  The article you point to asks to set up a "Payee" for online bill pay, why do that to transfer money from my checking to my savings?  And I don't see any button to "Send Now" or "Save".
  • frankfrank Member
    edited January 2017
    I figured out how to do it.  You need to click on the payee field and then "edit details", then "online payment" tab.  after doing a transfer and updating the account with my bank looking back at the transaction it really doesn't show anything that has to do with an online transfer.  When I go back into the payee, edit detail and online tab, it is blank like it was when I started.
  • magoodmmagoodm Member
    edited August 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

My question is a little different. If I try to make an online credit card payment as a transfer entry with a date two weeks in the future. Quicken will only allow me to use today's date. I can make it a future date only if I change the method from Transfer to Payment on the Online Payment page. Am I missing something or is it a Quicken bug?
    edited December 2016

Good afternoon,

Best of luck
    Colin

Pleas see this answer: https://qlc.intuit.com/replies/2794307