Any ideas why I might be getting errors when adding an online payment payee to a scheduled transacti

BrianGBrianG Member
edited December 2018 in

When editing a scheduled transaction adding an online payment with a validated online payee, after pressing the save button, I get an error popup stating "2005_Description" followed by "2005_Suggestion".

Comments

• jshortjrjshortjr Member
    edited July 2016
    This seems to be random. Some Payees are working and others not.
    edited July 2016
  • BrianGBrianG Member
    edited February 2017
    I did find that some do work, but most don't. Ran out of time to work on it last night, but all of the ones that work for me don't have descriptions. Going to delve into some more tonight playing with descriptions and other field content to see if I can better narrow it down.
    edited July 2016
    I can't seem to find a pattern. I have some with memos that do and don't work. I have changed categories and that doesn't fix it. Weird. I feel like I paid full price for a car and they'll deliver the fourth tire in a couple of months.
  • cuttsp1212cuttsp1212 Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree. I just upgraded and hoped it would fix it and no luck. Now I only get one of the errors instead of both.... I will have to open a case again.
  • BrianGBrianG Member
    edited February 2017
    I can consistently re-create the issue by setting up a scheduled transaction as a split payment from my checking to a credit card at another bank.  For some reason, Quicken wants to treat it like it is a Transfer and when I try and change to a payment, I consistently get this failure.  If I try and set up as a transfer, I get the expected error that not allowed to transfer between different banks.  If I remove the split and apply to a category instead, then I can update the scheduled transaction normally and all future transactions seem to be normal.  If I try and change to a split again, then I get the same error and then Quicken crashes.  I have quite a few weird issues with Bill Pay and this is just one of many.
  • edited July 2016
    Same exact issue.  If I'm paying a bill that is a transfer to a credit card or a loan payment, I get this error.  If I'm paying a bill that is a straight out payment to a third party entity (not tracked as another account in quicken for example) then it works fine.
  • edited July 2016
    I've posted this same bug. If you specify a transfer account, QM 2016 forces the transaction to be a  transfer instead of a bill pay. Hopefully this bug will get fixed really quickly. Also, I've noticed bill pays fail if the memo field has certain characters in it, like an em-dash (option+hyphen).
    edited December 2018

I was on with online tech support (yet again...and for about the 5th time in the last 2 weeks) and specifically dealt with this issue. As usual, he had me create a new 2016 file from my old 2015 file (luckily that 2015 file was still in my 2015 folder and was only 1 week old). To do this you need to find the folder where this old file is kept:

Please read all of this before embarking on the project.

First, backup your current 2016 file

Make sure that the word "Finder" is visible in the upper left of your desktop. 

Then click on "Go" which is four menus to the right of "Finder"

Hold down the "alt option" key

You will see that the "Library" menu will appear in the list below "Go"

Click on the Application Support folder

Click on the Quicken 2015 folder

Open Documents

Drag the file to your desktop

In Quicken 2016 open the File menu at the top of the screen 

Select New...

Choose the option to "Start from A Quicken Mac 2015 File"

This will create a new 2016 File (in my case it placed it on the desktop and did not overwrite my current 2016 file.)

Open this file

I then had to change my connection type to US Bank Direct Connect. It appears that only "Direct Connect" works for BillPay...at least for US Bank. He then had me delete the transaction that was giving me trouble. Mind you, I am trying to setup repeating transactions in the "Bill Reminders" folder in Quicken. After deleting it and setting up the transaction again I did not get the "2005_Description" error. I would not necessarily go through all of the above steps. Try deleting the transaction first before creating a new Quicken 2016 file.

Also, keep in mind that you must have "Bill Pay" in the Action column of the transaction. I have done this now for a couple of transactions and it is working.

As a side-note. Going through the above steps seems to have fixed my duplicate transaction problem as well...at least for one bank...I have not yet looked at all of them.
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

I was on with online tech support (yet again...and for about the 5th time in the last 2 weeks) and specifically dealt with this issue. As usual, he had me create a new 2016 file from my old 2015 file (luckily that 2015 file was still in my 2015 folder and was only 1 week old). To do this you need to find the folder where this old file is kept:

Open Documents

Select New...

This will create a new 2016 File (in my case it placed it on the desktop and did not overwrite my current 2016 file.)

Open this file

I then had to change my connection type to US Bank Direct Connect. It appears that only "Direct Connect" works for BillPay...at least for US Bank. He then had me delete the transaction that was giving me trouble. Mind you, I am trying to setup repeating transactions in the "Bill Reminders" folder in Quicken. After deleting it and setting up the transaction again I did not get the "2005_Description" error. I would not necessarily go through all of the above steps. Try deleting the transaction first before creating a new Quicken 2016 file.

Also, keep in mind that you must have "Bill Pay" in the Action column of the transaction. I have done this now for a couple of transactions and it is working.

As a side-note. Going through the above steps seems to have fixed my duplicate transaction problem as well...at least for one bank...I have not yet looked at all of them.

Oops..after stating: "You will see that the "Library" menu will appear in the list below "Go"
    I should have said: "Select 'Library'"
  • bmtndogbmtndog Member
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

I just deleted the recurring transaction and recreated it and it seems to work now. I think you are right, that is the secret to this one.
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

I'm losing my mind.  I've spent all day cleaning up my data - the duplicates, the missing, the just plain wrongs, and then it wouldn't ACTUALLY send any of my scheduled (laboriously cleaned) transactions -- and I got this 2005 deal.  Will try your suggestion, though - actually - I'd rather write a lacerating letter to Intuit and buy something else.  Thanks so much!!!
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

Nope.  Didn't work.  I was able to follow all your super clear instructions, and each step seemed to do what it was supposed to do.  But at the end - 2005 came up again.  The "new" 2016 document did wipe all the laborious work I'd done today, but didn't help the 2005 problem.  Reverted to my backup -- and am going to keep using my old Dell PC for my bookkeeping.  This is is just thunderously inadequate.  Thanks again for your help --
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

Oh - PS - in case anyone else is trying this -- the very first time I tried to send a payment - it worked!  It crashed out Quicken, but the payment was sent.  After all, though, it was 2005 all the way.
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

In my mind I cant understand why we should have to go through this. Intuit? When are you going to fix this as I have been using 2016 since the day it shipped. I am NOT creating a new file, but if I can't get this working soon I will be looking for a NON Intuit offering. I have paid for both Quicken for Mac and windows for the last 5 years! I pay for Turbo Tax every year with audit defense. If this is not fixed, I am going to have to find alternate solutions with a company that actually supports the software they ship. Bill pay is the only reason I bought 2016 as I can's stand or use 2015 so I used Quicken for Windows in a VM. They only feature delivered does not work, and yet no patch? I will try to file recreation, but I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO.....
    Sorry for the rant, but I have spent a ton on these software titles, and see little to no progress over the last few years.
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

After my rant. I created a new file, followed the steps, and got a new file that lost 2.5 months of work cleaning messes. That being said I was able to create a basic non-split, non-transfer transaction (which even if worked is useless). I was able to save the transaction without the error, however when I tried to schedule it the Bill Pay was not attached to the transaction. I went in to edit the series, and the Bill pay Check box was blank......I am not happy, and growing weary of the issues. I hope others are being successful where I am not.
  • BrianGBrianG Member
    edited December 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

I had no better success with a new file.  I am able to get bill pay to work with BB&T albeit it is fraught with a large number of nuances and crazy steps.
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

As stated above, I just gave up, and am continuing to use 2015 on my old PC.  A THOROUGHLY unsatisfactory compromise.  I've been using Quicken for years and years.  Pretty satisfied customer.  I guess this complete abdication of the Mac platform has something to do with Quicken's being sold.  But - memo to buyers - who's going to use it after this?  Or at least what Mac users...?  Sorry no one else has a happier ending to report.
  • jamesmbondjamesmbond Member
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

on chat line with Quicken support now getting my refund.   This online payment feature should have been part of the 2015 free upgrades frankly--shouldn't have had to pay $70 for new 2016 version to get a feature that doesn't even work.    I just installed iBank for Mac and it actually works, has more flexible auto-download and bill pay capabilities that work!!!!   woohoo finally get to ditch Quicken !
  • BrianGBrianG Member
    edited December 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

I also recently tried iBank for 30 days and had a number of issues with it as well especially with my investment accounts, but also with transactions that did not migrate cleanly making a mess.  With number of challenges I experienced with iBank, I decided to stay with Quicken for a while to see if gets better.  I hope it works well for you.
    edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

I suggest that we use social media to see if we can light a fire under Intuit and the Quicken 2016 for Mac team. I have been a loyal user of Quicken since Windows 3.1 (c. 1996) and a Quicken for Mac user since 2004 or so. I have generally been happy until they took BillPay away. I was very excited to see it come back. However, like everyone here i have found 2016 to be riddled with issues and BillPay is useless. I get multiple duplicates. My balances are off and I can't seem to find the problem and so have had to put in "balance reconciliation" transactions because I just gave up. My credit card company (Capital One) has been intermittently accessible for transaction downloads. I have had to "change connection type" and re-enter login credentials multiple times for multiple accounts. This product is truly a complete failure at best and a source of lost time and money at worst. Back to my original point: I suggest that we go to Twitter using the hashtag #FixQuickenMac2016 and tweet our frustration. Make sure to include @Quicken and @Intuit in your tweets.
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

Not sure that will be a productive way to go, especially since Intuit is selling the Quicken division. There are some existing snags with bill pay, as have been pointed out in this thread, and Intuit would be serving themselves and their customers well if they would respond with some indication of "we're on it," hopefully with an ETA of when the fixes will arrive. As bgarvis said, and as I believe Winston Churchill also said about democracy as a form of government, it's the worst software for Mac personal financial management until you consider any other. I hope and expect it will grow into the product we want it to be in the next two years. In the meantime, it still is the best product for many of us and I believe a constructive dialogue with with employees on this board (assuming they will engage) is the best way to go.
    edited July 2016

OK...here is the latest on the BillPay issue. Again...about an hour with online chat. Deleted Quicken 2016 (after backing up file). They directed me to my Quicken.com account where they had placed a new copy of Quicken for me to download. Still the same _2005 error. Then I deleted the problematic transaction, added a new transaction and it worked....sheesh. Same for a second transaction. These were both recurring transactions that I had setup. You might simply try deleting the recurring transaction and setting it up again before going through the whole delete and install of 2016.
  • pauldv172pauldv172 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

Quicken Support.  You see enough users with the same issue.  We should not have to vote for this.  It is a problem that needs to be fixed.  You did not test this release very well.
  • edited July 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

This is the crux of it all right.  Does Intuit just not care, because of the impending sale?  OR WHAT??  Such a lame ending for such a stellar product.
  • pauldv172pauldv172 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jshortjr said:

Open Documents

Select New...

Open this file

Yea, we should be seeing updates every couple of days with all of the issues that are going on.