Why would Quicken suddenly download transactions that were previously downloaded and reconciled mont

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in

I just did another regular OSU and Quicken downloaded several old credit card transactions for one account from April and August.

These transactions were previously downloaded, matched and reconciled.  Why would Quicken download these now for a second time?

Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    FI changed the FITID's?
    Your data file got damaged (lost FITID's)?
    Just those two months (April and August)?
    Maybe try restoring a backup and downloading into that.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    In order to check the ids I would have to restore from a backup to see what they were before.  If they changed, then you're saying my FI is at fault?

It was just a few random transactions, I only experienced this now with 2016, never happened to me before using Quicken.

It's not an issue for me, I just reaccepted them, just trying to understand the cause.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Quicken does not download anything. It sends a request for the data, and processes what it receives.
    First you need to confirm that those transactions were actually in the downloaded data (OFX Log). I believe there has been (may still be) a Quicken bug where Quicken presents transactions as having been currently downloaded ... that were not in the download but picked up from your data.

If the transactions are in the OFX Log, you need to identify the sender and contact them: your financial institution, if the Connection Method is "Web Connect" or "Direct Connect"; Intuit, if the Connection method is "Express Web Connect" (contact Support and have them contact the Intuit EWC scripts team).

[If the transactions are in the download, that is mistake one (but not a Quicken mistake). If they have an FITID that was previously used for any transaction in that specific Quicken account, that is mistake two (and a Quicken mistake).]

[When requesting transactions to be downloaded, Quicken can send a download "start date" that is earlier than the "end date" of the previous download for that financial institution - which I believe can cause some transactions to download a second time (though those transactions would fall on dates that were contiguous - not in two non-contiguous months), but I don't know of any situation where that has been shown to have happened.]
    edited December 2016

Quicken does not download anything. It sends a request for the data, and processes what it receives.
    First you need to confirm that those transactions were actually in the downloaded data (OFX Log). I believe there has been (may still be) a Quicken bug where Quicken presents transactions as having been currently downloaded ... that were not in the download but picked up from your data.

If the transactions are in the OFX Log, you need to identify the sender and contact them: your financial institution, if the Connection Method is "Web Connect" or "Direct Connect"; Intuit, if the Connection method is "Express Web Connect" (contact Support and have them contact the Intuit EWC scripts team).

[If the transactions are in the download, that is mistake one (but not a Quicken mistake). If they have an FITID that was previously used for any transaction in that specific Quicken account, that is mistake two (and a Quicken mistake).]

[When requesting transactions to be downloaded, Quicken can send a download "start date" that is earlier than the "end date" of the previous download for that financial institution - which I believe can cause some transactions to download a second time (though those transactions would fall on dates that were contiguous - not in two non-contiguous months), but I don't know of any situation where that has been shown to have happened.]

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] Thanks for all the info, I'm reviewing the log now.  Which column in Quicken corresponds to the FITID in the log?
    Downloaded Reference is blank and Downloaded ID doesn't show when I check it.
    edited August 2016

"Downloaded ID" is the one you want.

Are you saying you do not get the column at all? Or you don't see any FITID's in that column?

The only registers that can display the Downloaded ID column are non-investment registers for accounts activated for downloading.

I don't recall ever having Quicken refuse to display a column when I selected it. I looked at one of my credit card accounts just now, and it is showing the Downloaded ID column.

[I'm not sure how this came about, but I just discovered that I appear to be running Q2016 R2 - I would have sworn that I applied the R3 Mondo patch. Will look into doing that a little later this evening.]
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] When I check Downloaded ID in register columns, nothing happens, it doesn't add the column to the register so I can see the values.
    I still have my pre-upgrade data on a Windows 7 computer in Quicken Premier 2014, I cannot display the Downloaded ID column in that version either.
    There may be some issue with my data file that prevents it from displaying, any suggestions?
    edited August 2016

I would start by creating a New (test) file, and setting up the credit card for downloading there.

After the account is activated for downloading, you can test to see whether the Downloaded ID column can be displayed; and if it is displayed, perhaps get a glimpse of what the duplicate transactions contain there.

If the New file displays the Downloaded ID column, I'd say your problem is data related - maybe Validating a Quicken Copy of your data would help.
    If the New file does not display the Downloaded ID, I'm pretty much out of ideas.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] I took your suggestion and created a new test file, this helped me figure out the problem.  I have my registers set to two line display, the Downloaded ID column will only display in single line display.
    Would be nice if the program would somehow let you know that, but let's not go there now.
    With that solved I was able to figure out that the FITID changed for the transactions that were transmitted again.
    I use Direct Connect with this account, so you're saying this is an issue on the FI side.
    Since these are isolated cases so far, I just want to understand what the cause is, its not a real issue right now, I just reaccepted the transactions.
    edited August 2016

"I use Direct Connect with this account, so you're saying this is an issue on the FI side".

If you have verified that:
    a.) the duplicate transactions were in the downloaded data (OFX Log), and
    b.) those downloaded duplicate transactions had a different FITID than the previously downloaded transactions they were duplicates of, and
    c.) the Connection Method is Direct Connect (or Web Connect)

then the financial institution is responsible for those duplicates.

The financial institution may (and, I suspect, likely does) farm the downloading out to a third party, but the financial institution is still responsible. Someone at the financial institution is their liaison with Intuit (and, I believe, with any third party that does the downloading): you just need to find that person.
    edited August 2016

" ...  the Downloaded ID column will only display in single line display".

Good to know - makes sense.  Now I just have to remember it: I have all my accounts set for one line display.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] Yes To A, B & C, but not a big enough issue to reach out to the FI.
    One unexpected observation for me from looking at the log is that they retransmitted all transactions for the account for the past year. I don't know if this normally occurs without looking into it further, but it seems very inefficient since only the transactions since the last download are needed.
    edited August 2016

"I don't know if this normally occurs ....".

Don't know, but I've never seen it.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] I don't know if it makes sense that the Downloaded ID doesn't display in two line display because the others do, what's different about that column?
    edited August 2016

I don't see any "Downloaded ...." columns displayed in two-line displays.
    My guess is that the two-line display has always been present; the one-line display is relatively recent.
    More work to figure out where/how to incorporate the "Downloaded ...." columns into a two line display.
    edited August 2016

In fact, I do not see any of the "Downloaded ...." columns available to select when I have a two line display.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] There was another Downloaded Reference, I think it was called, and that displayed in two line, along with Downloaded Posted Date which I also tried.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] I did find the column list was organized differently between modes, but all could be checked.
    edited August 2016

Sorry, my bad: the "Downloaded ...." columns to select are displayed in a different position when two line display is in effect: I looked at the bottom of the list.
    But Downloaded ID does not display in two line display.
    edited December 2016

[mention://67948 @NoWayJose] Yes, I think that's the only one that has this issue.  I don't know if it has come up before, but it should be fixed.
    You thoroughly answered all of my questions regarding this for now, you can close this post whenever you want, thanks for all of your help.