Home

When will display issues for Quicken 2016 running on high resolution monitors be fixed?

eastview_bpeastview_bp Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in
I see similar questions have been asked since the release of 2016, but no definitive answer is ever given.  The workaround download program that a user developed worked for 2014 version, but not 2016.  Intuit needs to fix their programming.

I am a long time Quicken user from day One.  I update every three years but just did an early update from 2014 to 2016.  I purchased a new Window 10 laptop - Lenovo Yoga 900.  I read that 2016 worked with Windows 10 and assumed that an upgrade would fix the display issues I was having running 2014 on my new laptop.  Now that I have 2016 installed, I have the same display issues - the icons the menus, spacing of registers and boxes look horrible - some items are super small and some a big and get cut off.  I adjusted my laptop's display size and the Quicken's "Large Fonts" options in various combinations.  None of them make Quicken display the way 2014 worked on my old PC.

I am really surprised and disappointed that Intuit could not adjust the programming to be compatible with higher resolution monitors - this is the wave of the future.  Please correct these issues now in 2016 and not in the 2017 release - I regret "upgrading"!

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    " ... no definitive answer is ever given".

And no definitive answer is going to be given. Because none is possible.

It's unlikely that even Intuit knows when all such issues will be addressed, but it does not matter because they don't publish their plans for the future.

This is not the complaint desk - please don't waste your time or ours with questions (rhetorical or otherwise) that can not be answered.
    If you want to communicate your wishes to Intuit, go here: https://www.research.net/s/QuickenFeedback
    You can key your own comments after you vote.
  • David ChristopherDavid Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The reason I reopened this thread is to ask the OP what is "high resolution?".  Is it screen resolution, like 1600 X 820, something like that?   If so, can you right click your desk top and choose Display Settings and go to a lower realution and get a better display?  

I have had problems with a game I play daily and have to change the resolution, otherwise halfway through I get a freeze and a message that the display driver failed but has recovered.

I know when I change resolution, the game is to big or to small, not like it is at recommended resolution.
    edited August 2016
    edited January 2017
    Well that was totally confusing. I googled it and found this: http://www.idealdesignco.com/2013/03/20/image-resolution-tips-for-non-designers-high-res-low-res-and-everything-else-you-need-to-know/  

Now I kinda understand, but not really.  According to that link I should be able to find a screen resolution that will present the data properly. But that only works if I am going from high resolution to lower resolution which means, to me, Quicken is a low resolution program and we can make it high resolution, but it will be smaller. But a high resolution screen can not a low resolution picture high resolution.

So, if I understand it properly, OP is just out of luck until Quicken comes out with a program that is made for a high res monitor.  He/she wants to know when that will happen and no one knows.  Probably when everyone has high resolution monitors and a ton of users complain.  By then high resolution will be replaced by super high resolution.
  • ChrisWegenerChrisWegener Member
    edited October 2018

I have found a workaround to make quicken work well with my 4K display.

First I have to give credit for the answer to the following website: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Follow his instructions which admittedly requires you to edit the registry in Windows 10 as an administrator. (Be very careful, you can cause serious problems up to and including disabling windows editing the registry incorrectly so be forewarned.) But the change he suggests is straightforward if his directions are followed exactly.

After editing the registry and downloading the "manifest.txt" file. Copy the Manifest file into the Quicken directory as an administrator and rename it to "qw.exe.manifest". Now when you open Quicken it allows Windows to do all the appropriate scaling and everything is legible and readable. 

Please note that the Manifest file does not require editing just renaming.
    edited August 2016

First I have to give credit for the answer to the following website: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Follow his instructions which admittedly requires you to edit the registry in Windows 10 as an administrator. (Be very careful, you can cause serious problems up to and including disabling windows editing the registry incorrectly so be forewarned.) But the change he suggests is straightforward if his directions are followed exactly.

After editing the registry and downloading the "manifest.txt" file. Copy the Manifest file into the Quicken directory as an administrator and rename it to "qw.exe.manifest". Now when you open Quicken it allows Windows to do all the appropriate scaling and everything is legible and readable. 

[mention://44323 @QuicknPerlWiz] Comments?
    edited November 2016

I am glad you dug around and found a solution. I am sure QuicknPerlWize will work with this and post a FAQ so everyone can find your solution easier or quickly.  Good work.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I first want to say thanks to [mention://4525714 @eastview_bp] for actually trying the program that the other user (kind soul) created and reporting back.  Of the X amount of complaints about this problem, you are the first I have seen that actually bothered to try it and report back.  And it is especial interesting that this workaround works for Quicken 2014, but not 2016.
    I also want to thank [mention://20357 @Chrisdvd] for reopening this thread, and making this answer possible.

And of course a REALLY big thanks for [mention://4392899 @chris] for finding this workaround!

Now the main reason that I and other SuperUsers needed this kind of feedback is because we don't have high resolution screens.  As such I could only do limited testing on this.  I confirmed the fact that if someone was to put this solution in place on a machine that didn't need it, it wouldn't cause any problems.  So we are good on that side.

What this solution basically does is tell Windows that Quicken doesn't know how to properly handle high DPI settings, so it should do all the scaling and not leave it up to Quicken.  Since Quicken is doing the scaling right on my lower resolution screen, I basically can't tell the difference.

For the record Intuit could have put this setting in their manifest for qw.exe (it is embedded so you don't see it), and maybe not have worked all these years to make Quicken work with highDPI settings.  So why didn't they, and if this is a magic cure, why doesn't Microsoft make it the default instead of trying to get every program changed over to understand high DPI?  Well part of that was covered in that article you pointed out (in the comments).  In some cases this will lead to pixelization, as everything is just scaled up which doesn't work right if for instance you have to go from an icon that is 16x16 to one that is 32x32.  I might add that I'm in the Insider program for Windows 10, and they are talking about do radical changes to the scaling.  So it is hard to say if that will be a plus on minus in all of this.

I checked and this forum will allow me to attach both the manifest and a registry file.  This means that I can put those in the FAQ and people can use them without having to do the rename or to edit the registry directly.

I have done that for the FAQ answer for high resolution screens (I have not changed the text of that answer yet).
    One thing I would like to get confirmed is that all the problems reported are fixed by this workaround.
    The current list of problem spots are:
    1) Annual budget column widths too small.
    2) Tax Planner doesn't fill the windows and unreadable.
    3) Icons like the save button in the register are too small.
    4) System menu (the one at the top with the File, Edit, ...) isn't scaled correctly with the rest of Quicken

If [mention://4525714 @eastview_bp] and [mention://4392899 @chris] can try the fix and report back, it would be really appreciated.
    What you need to do is go to this FAQ and on the answer for high resolution you will find the two attached files.
    https://qlc.intuit.com/replies/1832664

Save them to your disk, and then copy the qw.exe.manifest to the C:Programs Files (x86)Quicken folder.
    And double click on the FixQuickenHiRes.reg file to change the setting in the registry.

Thank you.
    edited July 2016

I have used this fix for Quicken 2016 and it works correctly. I am running it on my Dell P2715Q at 3840x2160 resolution and a font scaling of 150%. When I run Quicken 2016 now it looks and acts correctly with none of the niggling errors in the Highres setting.

I originally found this fix when researching resolution issues with Adobe Bridge.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

OK I have updated the FAQ:
    https://qlc.intuit.com/replies/1832664

If anyone sees a problem in the instructions please let me know and I will fix it.
    edited July 2016

Thankyou @QuickenPerlWiz for expanding and simplifying this fix.
  • kirsanwakirsanwa Member
    edited July 2016

Good news and bad news. Good news: The fix solves the scaling problem nicely. Bad news: My register pull-downs for date and Check # are now in Chinese. Once entered they revert to Arabic numbers and English text, and if I type it highlights some Chinese text and sometimes (but not always) puts in the correct fill. In the description field it only takes the first character. This is on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro with a 4K display.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Hmm I don't have an answer, but I do have a guess at what is happening.  The original manifest in qw.exe has something that makes those pull down menus be in the right language, and when it is replaced with this new one that doesn't have such settings in it.  And that results in unknown default behavior that can vary from machine to machine.
    edited July 2016

Agreed. I poked around a bit to try a few things. Leaving the registry key modified is OK if I remove the qw.exe.manifest file (or re-name it). Deleting the (optional) "Language = "*"> string from the manifest has no effect. I do not see another manifest file in the directory that looks to be in play, so the manifest file overriding an internal setting for the pull downs makes sense. Hopefully someone else out there can help, because otherwise the result was perfect.

For the record, every time I have been forced to upgrade Quicken, I have had scaling issues creep in. I agree with a previous poster: Quicken needs to deal with this better.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Well I thought about this, and did some digging and realized that the manifest is stored in the executable in readable format.
    So I edit qw.exe in an editor that can handle binary data and searched for manifest.
    Since this is only the "shell" of Quicken not surprising it has just a basic manifest:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>
    </assembly>

BTW the security section just says that the program should run as the user and not try to elevate privileges like you would on say an install program.  It is the default, if it isn't in the manifest.

The guts of Quicken is actually in qwmail.dll, and sure enough it has a different manifest.
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"><security><requestedPrivileges><requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel></requestedPrivileges></security></trustInfo><application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"><windowsSettings><ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">true</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware></windowsSettings></application></assembly>

Not as nicely formatted, but is easy to see it is just a basic manifest, but it sets the dpiAware to true.

That leads me to the conclusion that the problem might be in the dependencies requested in the supplied manifest.
    So try editing out:
    <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity
          type="win32"
          name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
          version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
          publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
          language="*">
        </assemblyIdentity>
      </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>

<dependency>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity
          type="win32"
          name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
          version="9.0.21022.8"
          processorArchitecture="amd64"
          publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
        </assemblyIdentity>
      </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>

And try it again.
    edited July 2016

BINGO!  That looks like it did the trick. Thanks for the help!!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the feedback.  I will change it in the FAQ.