How do I solve error OL-297A with Franklin Templeton?

James McKeownJames McKeown Member
edited November 2018 in

I have recently started having difficulty downloading transactions from Franklin Templeton.  I receive an OL-297-A error when I try.  This has persisted for a while, probably 2+ weeks.

Based on the standard advice, I deactivated online services in both accounts accessing that site.  I am now unable to activate online services for either account.  I am told OL-297-A.

I have verified the signon and password by directly logging into the site.

The download worked fine until some time in January. 

I recently updated from Quicken 2013 Deluxe to 2016 Deluxe, but I believe it had already started this failure streak before I updated.  Using Win 8.1.

(I am aware there is a very similar question posted, but I have had my wrist slapped for "hijacking" someone else's question and confusing the debugging, so the only thing I know to do is start my own.  I'll undoubtedly get my wrist slapped for duplication.)

Comments

• Quicken ColinQuicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Good morning,

I understand how the situation can be frustrating.  To start please see this article on the error you are getting: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/error-when-using-online-services--ol-297...  If after going through the process given the issue persists please comment below.

Best of luck
    Colin
  • James McKeownJames McKeown Member
    edited November 2016

Good morning,

I understand how the situation can be frustrating.  To start please see this article on the error you are getting: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/error-when-using-online-services--ol-297...  If after going through the process given the issue persists please comment below.

Best of luck
    Colin

I thought that adding TLS 1.1 solved the problem, but it came back quickly (after I marked the problem solved, not sure how to undo that).  I'll do some more testing and report back later.
    edited November 2016

Good morning,

Best of luck
    Colin

Here's the full story of what happened when I turned TLS 1.1 on: I exited Internet Explorer and loaded Quicken.  Entered password for file Quicken was opening. Then Quicken apparently crashed, disappeared from screen.  I then clicked Quicken again, and it opened the file without me entering the password.  Weird.

I was then able to setup online access, liinking to both Franklin Templeton (FT) accounts.  I was able to download several times.  Everything seemed fine.  So I marked the problem solved and the reply helpful.

Then I closed Quicken and reopened.  Password accepted normally and continued opening the file as it should.  Unfortunately I have not been able to get any download from FT.  If always fails with OL-297-A.  All other institutions work fine.

FT is setup for Direct Connect.  Trying the Reset Account in FT gives me "Quicken could not complete the account reset." followed by a description that looks like the other OL-297-A descriptions.
    edited November 2016
    I tried these steps with no success.  Two odd thins happened.  First, I cannot find a copy of fidir.txt.

Second, when I tried the refresh operation for the two Franklin Templeton accounts (suggested in the link in step 7), Quicken did a download from two other accounts from a different institution.

Thanks for the attempt.  I guess I'll have to make time to call phone support tomorrow.  (I don't think this one can be handled by chat.)
    edited November 2016
    Progress report: phone call to support completed.  I spent about an hour on the phone including hold time and basically determined that the problem is on the Franklin Templeton end.  So I am directed to contact their tech support people to try to get them to address the problem.  (That's going to have to wait over a week due to other time demands.)
  • DebDeb Member
    edited November 2018

I was having the same issue, same error # and was trying to download from Franklin Templeton.  I went into Internet Options and found that unchecking the Use TLS 1.2 box under Security in the Advanced Tab did NOT work.  I currently have it checked since that is the default.  What worked for me was to disable my Smart Firewall and disable my Antivirus Auto-Protect.  I have Norton Internet Security.  I then went to the account in Quicken, clicked on the gear and Edit Account Details.  Clicked on the Online Services tab and did the Setup again (I had previously deactivated the Direct Connect setup).  It worked.  No problem.  Hope this helps you.
    edited November 2016
    Deb said:

I was having the same issue, same error # and was trying to download from Franklin Templeton.  I went into Internet Options and found that unchecking the Use TLS 1.2 box under Security in the Advanced Tab did NOT work.  I currently have it checked since that is the default.  What worked for me was to disable my Smart Firewall and disable my Antivirus Auto-Protect.  I have Norton Internet Security.  I then went to the account in Quicken, clicked on the gear and Edit Account Details.  Clicked on the Online Services tab and did the Setup again (I had previously deactivated the Direct Connect setup).  It worked.  No problem.  Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the report, Deb.  Unfortunately I won't get to the computer with Quicken for several days to try it out.  I will report back when I have tried it.
  • swwoodswwood Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Good morning,

Best of luck
    Colin

unchecking TLS 1.2 worked for me.  However, I'm concerned that I'm probably causing other, as yet undetected, problems with I.E. by doing so.
    edited November 2016

Good morning,

Best of luck
    Colin

TLS 1.2 was not checked when this problem started.  I tried checking it (because one of the support pages said to), but it doesn't seem to matter for me.
    edited November 2016
    Deb said:

Followup: I am unable to set up online services for Franklin Templeton regardless of whether TLS 1.2 is set to on or off.
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Chiming in, since there seems to be great confusion over this subject.

Franklin Templeton Investments is Direct Connect ONLY in Quicken Windows products. This means that Quicken Support does not have access to the brokers servers, necessary to determine why individuals would receive the OL error message(s) in Quicken. We cannot look at the account information on their servers to determine if there's a service, account setup or other issue that is causing the OL error message.

Direct Connect does not report to any Intuit server system, where we would be able to determine overall success or failure of connections from within Quicken and advise of any known issue.

What we CAN do is duplicate, and this is where we focus on your issue. If the error you're receiving (OL-297 connectivity error) was being caused by the Quicken program, or the financial institutions SSL Security Certificate signing, it would affect every customer of these two products (Quicken and Franklin Templeton). We would be able to easily duplicate the error and get it resolved from the first report.

Because we cannot duplicate this error in-house, and because we have no other customers contacting either Quicken Support or the financial institution with this specific error, we have to continue to advise there is something on your system that is blocking this connection between Quicken and Franklin Templeton.

You had been pointed to the FAQ that advises you to uncheck TLS 1.2, uncheck SSL 3.0, and enable 3rd party cookies in your Internet Options. If I'm reading your responses correctly, you have tried these steps to resolve but have been unsuccessful on all three attempts.

This then boils down to the online banking support at Franklin Templeton need to determine what error message they're sending that is creating the OL-297 for your accounts. If the FT agent you speak with does not review your OFX Log for the exact error they're transmitting, or continues to insist this is a Quicken problem, please request an escalation to their higher level of support. They have a direct path to get more in-depth assistance with this issue, when the Tier 1 agent doesn't know how to resolve.
  • DebDeb Member
    edited July 2016
    Deb said:

NebularNovice, Please look at my answer from 11 days ago.  TLS 1.2 being checked or not had nothing to do with it.  It didn't make any difference for me either.  As I stated earlier, what made a difference for me was disabling my Firewall and disabling my Antivirus (temporarily of course).  I have Norton Internet Security.  Next you need to deactivate the Franklin Templeton account and then reactivate it.  If these things don't work for you, you can also log into your Franklin Templeton account and do a download from their website.  That also worked for me and you don't have to disable your firewall and antivirus software.  Please note that the time of day and the day of the week are important considerations as Franklin Templeton sometimes does maintenance on their site during off peak hours.  It is best to try a download during "working hours".
    edited November 2016
    Deb said:

Doh!  That will teach me to try this stuff after a "redeye`'.  Thanks for hitting me again.

Now it gets interesting.  I had tried deactivating my Norton firewall when talking to Quicken Support.  It didn't help then.  However when I tried it again in response to your recent message, it seemed to solve the problem.  I was able to setup the accounts, do another download, and even do a one-step update including Franklin Templeton.  Everything looked great.  That worked until I exited Quicken and re-entered.  At that point, I was back to the OL-297-A again.  I then exited again, rebooted, turned the firewall off again and tried Quicken again.  Still didn't work.  Deactivated fine, but could not reactivate.
    edited November 2016

Chiming in, since there seems to be great confusion over this subject.

Franklin Templeton Investments is Direct Connect ONLY in Quicken Windows products. This means that Quicken Support does not have access to the brokers servers, necessary to determine why individuals would receive the OL error message(s) in Quicken. We cannot look at the account information on their servers to determine if there's a service, account setup or other issue that is causing the OL error message.

Direct Connect does not report to any Intuit server system, where we would be able to determine overall success or failure of connections from within Quicken and advise of any known issue.

What we CAN do is duplicate, and this is where we focus on your issue. If the error you're receiving (OL-297 connectivity error) was being caused by the Quicken program, or the financial institutions SSL Security Certificate signing, it would affect every customer of these two products (Quicken and Franklin Templeton). We would be able to easily duplicate the error and get it resolved from the first report.

Because we cannot duplicate this error in-house, and because we have no other customers contacting either Quicken Support or the financial institution with this specific error, we have to continue to advise there is something on your system that is blocking this connection between Quicken and Franklin Templeton.

You had been pointed to the FAQ that advises you to uncheck TLS 1.2, uncheck SSL 3.0, and enable 3rd party cookies in your Internet Options. If I'm reading your responses correctly, you have tried these steps to resolve but have been unsuccessful on all three attempts.

This then boils down to the online banking support at Franklin Templeton need to determine what error message they're sending that is creating the OL-297 for your accounts. If the FT agent you speak with does not review your OFX Log for the exact error they're transmitting, or continues to insist this is a Quicken problem, please request an escalation to their higher level of support. They have a direct path to get more in-depth assistance with this issue, when the Tier 1 agent doesn't know how to resolve.

Thanks for the details, Tamara.  I will get to pushing Franklin Templeton support to see if I can get an answer.  The intermittent nature of this is also puzzling.  (As mentioned in my other comments, I have twice had success with FT as long as I stayed in Quicken, but as soon as I go out and re-enter, I am in OL-297-A land.)
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Deb said:

I suggest you stop trying to "fix" the problem and wait until Franklin Templeton fixes it.
    I get the error periodically ... a day or so later I don't get the error. Got it yesterday; did not get it just now.
    I have not made a single attempt to do anything at my end.

[Franklin Templeton also appears to offer Web Connect downloads. You can try those when Direct Connect is not working.]