having debits and credits in a single category

SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in

Per other thread on this forum, I know that the superusers here advocate not having debits and credits in a single category.  They basically quote accounting principals saying that you shouldn't do it.  

But, let's say you have 30 categories of expense-- you categorize each thing that you spend money on (groceries, restaurants, medical, gas, toiletries, various types of entertainment, home repairs, etc).  Now, in each of those categories you have returns and refunds.  I just find it not practical to have a return category for each of those.  I mean really what's the harm in having some returns (credits) within an expense account?

Comments

• Bob_LBob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    IMO there is nothing wrong with recording refunds or returns, etc. as contra-expenses in an expense category. In fact, for refunds or returns it seems to me that it makes the most sense.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Pro
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bob L said:

IMO there is nothing wrong with recording refunds or returns, etc. as contra-expenses in an expense category. In fact, for refunds or returns it seems to me that it makes the most sense.

Not sure which post you read stating otherwise, but, I like BOBL_2, have always suggested that a refund/return use the same category as the original transaction.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ronhall42ronhall42 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bob L said:

Have never seen a suggestion to refrain from using debits & credits in same category. It's the norm for returns/credits.