About Quicken for Mac Reporting - Add Subtotals, Ideally at the Bottom of Data (107 Legacy Votes)

Wondering if you will add the function of being able to subtotal in reports.  I.e. and annual report on a category, with months subtotals.  My Q2007 for MAC does a great job with this.
1 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Can you help me better understand the specifics of what you'd like to see in this report because it sounds a lot like the Spending over time report?  Can you take a look at the Spending Over Time report and let me know how the report you want is different.  Thanks.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Having the ability to display subtotals in general on any applicable report just like in QM2007 and QWin.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Marla HewittMarla Hewitt Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, I just saw this.  Yes, having the ability to display subtotals in general for any report as I can in QM2007 is critical.  Thank you!  Good reporting is essential to a financial program.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    And those subtotals should be below the data they're summing, not above. (The way existing subtotals are above data is one of my biggest gripes with Quicken reports.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited August 2018

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited December 2018
    SubTotals on Reports - Add Subtotals, Ideally at the Bottom of Data

Please add subtotal capabilities with the flexibility that the report customization engine in QM2007 and QWin have, as appropriate to the report type, as per the example shown here:

Make this option easily accessible either before or after generating the report.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "Like" below so others will know, then click "VOTE" above to increase the count and therefore its visibility by the developers, thanks.)  

edited August 2018
    You can now VOTE for MANY other types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac.

Be sure to go there and click on the link to the IDEA you want to VOTE on to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited December 2016

You can now VOTE for MANY other types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac.

Be sure to go there and click on the link to the IDEA you want to VOTE on to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

@Marla Hewitt FYI, I forgot to add a note to say that if you want to receive a notification whenever a link is added to this list of reports and features, be sure to click FOLLOW at that link (just above).

edited December 2018

Please add subtotal capabilities with the flexibility that the report customization engine in QM2007 and QWin have, as appropriate to the report type, as per the example shown here:

Make this option easily accessible either before or after generating the report.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "Like" below so others will know, then click "VOTE" above to increase the count and therefore its visibility by the developers, thanks.)  

What may not be so obvious but is a very important point to make, and makes a big difference, is that by implementing the ability to choose what to subtotal, this can cause a single report template to take the place of 4 different reports, that is the Category Detail, Tag Detail, Payee Detail AND Account Detail reports.

This is what I explain in detail in Request for Customizable Reporting Engine, and briefly in Create a useful Category/Transaction Detail Report, which is a more practical and versatile approach, and is easier for developers once built, as there are fewer templates to maintain (as it is in QM2007). 

What makes this approach extremely convenient is because you do not have to re-define your selection criteria for the report. There are many good reasons to be able to flip between these choices.

To the developers, please seriously consider this approach.

(I repeat this thought here too, in the discussion about a Transaction Detail report.)

edited April 2018
    jacobs said:

And those subtotals should be below the data they're summing, not above. (The way existing subtotals are above data is one of my biggest gripes with Quicken reports.)

yes, just to emphasize this...it is standard practice by those in the financial industry, e.g. accountants, to include Subtotals at the BOTTOM. Having them at the top adds confusion to those having to deal with these reports. 

At the very least, if you do not restore them to the bottom, like it was in the past (e.g. QM2007), it should be an option to have them either at the top or the bottom.

edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• K7JVK7JV Member
    edited December 2016
    Summary Report by Tag by Year shows totals only - This one could help me if it could display the detail below each tag.  (I track medical expenses and on-line purchases for tax purposes, and it worked great in Quicken for Windows, but the Mac version won't give me the detail.  AND it does NOT include "Banking" transactions in the totals!  I want to see the total balance, by tag, including the "Banking" piece of the totals that does not now get included.

Category Summary Report - This one shows all the details, but they are grouped by category, and not by tag.  Doesn't get me there.  I want to see the total balance, by tag.

Payee Summary Report - Give the details by provider, but for some reason it will not include "Banking" transactions, so it shows balanced due irrespective of payments made by checking, by credit card or by cash.  And, the tag information is not present.

The bottom line is that I cannot generate a report that shows me what I owe my medical providers.  If I cannot find a way to get around this, I will have to go back to Quicken for Windows, and use Parallels to run it.

PLEEEEEZE HELP!!!!
  • DerekDerek Member
    edited February 2017
    jacobs said:

I get some data when creating quicken mac last year's category report, even though all account, categories, (removed tags, with tags nothing shows) , All accounts, etc.. selected? .. I use Windows version for years and reporting was very easy to generate. Any  idea how to resolve this in Mac 2017 version? I need to se subtotals, then click on details.
  • Bill MurpheyBill Murphey Member
    edited February 2017
    @K7JV:  Summary Report by Tag by Year shows totals only ...
    I too am having troubles wrapping my head around the learning curve for QM2017. I'm using in a trial period of QM2017 with a converted dummy file QM2007 data (2008 - 2017) and have discovered (by customizing) a few of "hidden" options in the Tags by Year Report that may be of help to you.

1) The Tags By Yr display can by limited to just one year via selection of dates.

2a) The 1st window the "Tag Summary by Year" displays only the selected subtotals by tags by yr.
    2b) By clicking on one of these subtotals, a 2nd window displays "Tag Summary by Year - Details"
    2c) Then depending upon the type of transaction (Transfer, etc) ... clicking on the transaction, that 2nd window re-draws to display the details of the particular transaction.

I have found this sequence works for Transfers and Credit Card transactions, but can be complex situations that I find difficult to sort out. So if I get one that I like, I end up saving it as a customized report, rather than trying to remember how to re-create that report on-the-fly.

HTH
  • K7JVK7JV Member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you, Bill.  I tried that, and it does drill down nicely.

I track our medical by tag, where a tag might say, "2016-09-05 Dr Smith - Checkup", and I do this in an account called "Medical".  Then when I enter the bill from Dr Smith, I give it that tag.  I do the same with the credits from Medicare, from our other medical insurance, and insurance adjustments, each with that same tag.  When I look at the "Tag" report, I see the balance still due to Dr Smith.

Then, I pay the bill from Checking, and enter it with the appropriate tag, and show it as a transfer to "Medical" account.  The Medical account then shows a running total of our complete medical balance due.  If the Tag report would do what it is supposed to do, it would then likewise show the amount due to each provider, according to the Tags.  As it is, all I can get is the "Medical" account total due.

For some reason, "Transfers" to the Medical account do not include transfer transactions in the tag totals, so there's no easy way to see what is owed to whom.  Rats!  It worked great in the Windows version for years.  I wonder why the two sets of programmers don't talk to each other.

Thank you for your info, and it was helpful.  Now if we can just get Quicken programmers to be in depth Quicken users, maybe that would help.  
    edited February 2017
    K7JV said:

Thank you, Bill.  I tried that, and it does drill down nicely.

I track our medical by tag, where a tag might say, "2016-09-05 Dr Smith - Checkup", and I do this in an account called "Medical".  Then when I enter the bill from Dr Smith, I give it that tag.  I do the same with the credits from Medicare, from our other medical insurance, and insurance adjustments, each with that same tag.  When I look at the "Tag" report, I see the balance still due to Dr Smith.

Then, I pay the bill from Checking, and enter it with the appropriate tag, and show it as a transfer to "Medical" account.  The Medical account then shows a running total of our complete medical balance due.  If the Tag report would do what it is supposed to do, it would then likewise show the amount due to each provider, according to the Tags.  As it is, all I can get is the "Medical" account total due.

For some reason, "Transfers" to the Medical account do not include transfer transactions in the tag totals, so there's no easy way to see what is owed to whom.  Rats!  It worked great in the Windows version for years.  I wonder why the two sets of programmers don't talk to each other.

Thank you for your info, and it was helpful.  Now if we can just get Quicken programmers to be in depth Quicken users, maybe that would help.  

You can now add your VOTE for the Ability to Include or Exclude Transfers on Reports.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

• sfr48studiosfr48studio Member
    edited February 2018

Can you help me better understand the specifics of what you'd like to see in this report because it sounds a lot like the Spending over time report?  Can you take a look at the Spending Over Time report and let me know how the report you want is different.  Thanks.

How about a "New Report" Button that allows a Date Range at least.
    edited March 2017

Just remember to click the VOTE button at the top of this page to have your voice counted.

• K7JVK7JV Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this.  I assign a tag to all medical transactions (provider charges, insurance adjustments, insurance payments, any other credits and our payments) and in Quicken Windows I could do a report and total by Tag which would show where we stood on each doctor/hospital visit, financially.  Can't do a true "Tag" total in Quicken for Mac 2017.  Date range?  Either current year to date, last year, or maybe past 2 years or 3 years would be great.
  • EdEd Member
    edited March 2017
    K7JV said:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this.  I assign a tag to all medical transactions (provider charges, insurance adjustments, insurance payments, any other credits and our payments) and in Quicken Windows I could do a report and total by Tag which would show where we stood on each doctor/hospital visit, financially.  Can't do a true "Tag" total in Quicken for Mac 2017.  Date range?  Either current year to date, last year, or maybe past 2 years or 3 years would be great.

Separate topic from the previous discussion it was originally posted on.

Please reference the new conversation here: Tag/reporting for Mac2017
  • AlstuffAlstuff Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Report SubCategories.

How about putting TOTALs at the bottom of the column rather than the top.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: List of Requests for Report Types in Quicken for Mac.
  • Jim BlackJim Black Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Report Sub-Categories.

I agree !!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: List of Requests for Report Types in Quicken for Mac.
  • Alan SchwartzAlan Schwartz Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Report Sub-Categories.

so do I. Remember the old days when you did things by hand. I made a list of numbers, drew a lline underneath the last one, added them up and put your solution underneath the line. Made sense then. Why not now?

edited March 2018
    I’ve been pleading for report totals & subtotals at the bottom since the first release of Quicken 2015. No financial reports have totals at the top... except Quicken. This is one of the reasons I continue to use Quicken 2007.
    edited February 2018

This whole voting process is way too time consuming and complicated with the switching pages for each issue..
    edited February 2018

@Alstuff, the "whole voting process" was organized by a fellow Quicken user, @smayer97, in the way he felt it could best capture the wide array of things people were asking for, and within the limitations of how this site on the Get Satisfaction platform works.

On one hand, I agree with you that it's complicated, and I think that unfortunately turns a lot of people off from tracking down the issues they care about and voting. On the flip side, if he had made a simpler list of broad topics, it's possible that everything would have been too generalized -- e.g. "make reports better!" -- and of no help to the development team. You or I might organize the topics differently, but @smayer97 is the one who took the initiative to spent many dozens of hours to set up these pages and maintain them; it may be a little difficult to navigate, but it's better than not having any organized way to vote for features we each consider important.

If there's a specific topic you'd like to vote for but don't want to fight your way through finding it, post what it is and @smayer97 or someone here will give you a direct link to that topic.
    edited February 2018

My problem is not with him but with the platform. I applaud what he has done given the constraints.
    edited February 2018

That said, I agree with others on preferring the older reporting system with a few improvements. 
    I prefer Totals at the bottom of a column.
    Ability to Subtotal for different payees within categories
    for a few examples
    edited November 2018

P.S. Consider navigating the EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On for Quicken for Mac

It has the entire list I have put together all in one view...note however that none of my lists contain 100% of the IDEA posts...that is always a work in progress.

• Larry MilamLarry Milam Member
    edited September 2018

I would like subtotals on bottom of reports.  But more important to me would be the capability of a transaction report that would provide a transaction report as a monthly column report ( i.e., like the budget report) which could be exported to an excel worksheet.  I do not like the forced Quicken budget and have used Quicken for Windows for over 30 years to create my own budget based on categories I have used to classify my budget items.  At present, I can find no report that allows for the exporting of monthly transactions for a monthly report.