Add ability to hide currently unused securities in Quicken for Mac (64 Legacy Votes)

Snoopy FC
Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
Within QM2020, I presently have about 160 securities listed, but only about 20 of them are still actively held.  In QM2007, we had the ability to hide securities in the securities list such that they would no longer show and the price history was not updated.  Can we make that change in QM2020?  It would sure make it easier to find the securities that I currently have holdings in.

(edited to bring current)
QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
Tagged:
12 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted and added to the development roadmap for future implementation. At this time there is no ETA on when this functionality will be implemented. CTP-594/QMAC-15063

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    You can't hide them in the list, but if you go in and edit one, you can disable (uncheck) updating security prices for that security. Yes, that would be a pain you would have to repeat 140 times, but it should cut down time spend updating all the quotes.

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the tip, but it seems there should be an easier way than this.  Hopefully Quicken's staff will look into this as anyone with many years of investment tracking will run into this on conversion or upgrade. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Did what John counseled a few months ago; had hundreds of securities which came over in the transition from QW to Qm. Took awhile but was worth the effort. Was not able to delete securities which have been inactive for many , many yrs because Qm got it in its head that the securities were being used elsewhere. Decided to just ignore that issue:)
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I understand why you'd do that on some level, but it seems to make more sense to have something simply built into the software.  Thanks.  
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Concordman wrote  "........Qm got it in its head that the securities were being used elsewhere."

You have Buys, Sells, Dividends or/or other transactions for these securities recorded in your registers. As long as thise transactions exist somewhere in your data file, QMac considers the security "in use".
    The only way one can delete a previously used security is to first delete any and all transactions related to that security. This of course would totally srew up the register (and your history) and is not the recommended way to go.

FWIW QWin products have the same behavior.

Bottom line - we do need the ability to hide old securities in the Security List. Also need an easier way to turn downloading on/off - like in QWin where there is a check box in the list along side each security.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I agree that we need someway simply to hide the old securities easily.  A checkbox in the Security's list similar to what's in the accounts list in QM2016 3.5.2 would be very helpful.  That's really all I hoping for.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

You can now vote for the feature to turn downloading on/off for securities, here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-easier-way-to-turn-downloading-on-off-of-ind...
    (JM, I just copied your words into it...  :-)

Be sure to go there and click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Yes I recall you QW have the same issues. As others have said there needs to be a way to hide the securities so they don't show up in the security detail unless one wants them to.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Yes I recall you QW have the same issues. As others have said there needs to be a way to hide the securities so they don't show up in the security detail unless one wants them to.

Just remember that you have to click VOTE above to make it count.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can't hide them in the list, but if you go in and edit one, you can disable (uncheck) updating security prices for that security. Yes, that would be a pain you would have to repeat 140 times, but it should cut down time spend updating all the quotes.

I got bored and actually did this.  It's sped up the program at opening, but it's still annoying.  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018

Done !
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

How'd you get to that screen?
    ~~~***~~~
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

From the menu bar; Window > Securities
    Select a security and open in edit mode (double-click security name).
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    I trade a lot of options and track my activity with Quicken. Once the option has expired, the security will never be used again. My securities list has hundreds of old options that pop up when entering transactions. I have marked them as "hidden" but they still appear in the list of securities when I enter a transaction. Hidden securities SHOULD NOT appear on this list. How do we stop it from appearing?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    This is an ongoing problem acknowledged by the folks at QM, they have committed to resolving this in the future
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem (I hope): I never realized that securities I no longer own, and which are not listed in my Portfolio view, continue to download the share price! I see how to turn this off one-by-one in the securities window, but this seems unnecessarily cumbersome and more important likely to lead to problems if I ever re-purchase a deactivated security. I can imagine forgetting this years later and then trying to troubleshoot why it's not downloading quotes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    It is a horrible kluge, but this works: In the name of each unused security, I put "Z - " in front of the name. So, WMT, Walmart, will now be "Z - Walmart". So, all my unused securities show up at the very bottom of the pull-down list, so they are out of my way, but yet in alphabetical order (in the Z position) in case they ever get used again. If I buy it again, I rename it back to its original name.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add a small update to this idea.

In the 2019 5.9.2 for Mac, the option to Download Quotes Only for Indexes and Securities Held.

This can be found under Window > Securities.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add a small update to this idea.

In the 2019 5.9.2 for Mac, the option to Download Quotes Only for Indexes and Securities Held.

This can be found under Window > Securities.

-Quicken Tyka

Thanks Tyka, that is nice, but of course it does not help get the unused securities out of sight.