Basic File Info

WWhippleWWhipple Member ✭✭
Quicken H&B 2016 R 8(25.1.8.5).  Quicken apparently does automatic backups that I can see in Windows Explorer (..QBackup\BACKUP).  It also will backup on command which I place in QBackup.  Four recent files appear in the list at the bottom of the file menu.  Clicking on one of the four recent files simply opens the file.  Manually opening or restoring any of the automatic or manual backups presents ambiguous queries that I cannot answer.  Unfortunately, due to some troubleshooting by Quicken Support Chat, one of my files does not appear in the recent files.  Also, the recent files does not seem to reflect the name given for the most recent backup.  I'm confused by the relationship between these files and the recent file list and do not know how to proceed even though I've been using Quicken intensively for many years.  Note that this arises because I have one set of personal accounts and another for a non-profit for which I am treasurer.  I don't want a quick answer but a complete description of Quicken's file management.

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    You pretty much have it figured out.

The ambiguous queries you mention sound like you clicked "forgot password".

Recent files are a list of data files recently opened, it means nothing other than these are the last 4 files you opened. It is a convenience list that will change as you open other files.

Backups are not considered data files, they should be opened using restore from backup.
    The number of automatic backups kept is set in Preferences. The backup naming convention is obvious, (data file name/data/time/.qdf-backup). While they might open by clicking on them that is a recipe for confusion unless you really are needing to restore a backup.

File>File Operations>Find Quicken files will locate all Quicken related files on your computer.

Real Data files (.QDF) are usually located in the Quicken folder but can be anywhere.
    You should create a data file name that is easy for you to discern which file is which. If that is a problem use Save a Copy As to create a name that is useful.

https://www.quicken.com/support/cannot-find-quicken-data-file
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    To describe this, we have to set a baseline.
    First, the file is stored the default location of the Quicken folder under Documents (My Documents).  This location is user changeable.

Quicken will ALWAYS create a subfolder of the file's location named BACKUP where it will store the automatic backups.  So if you move the file's location, another BACKUP folder will be created in the new location.

I have seen where users have restored their file into the BACKUP folder several times and they have BACKUP folders with BACKUP subfolders with BACKUP subfolders several times over.  They will also NOT remove the date/time from the file's name so that there are several dates in the name and it is quite long.

Manual Quicken backups are where the user decides them to be, Quicken does not control this location, but it might suggest a location initially.

The list of recent files at the bottom of the File menu is just that, Quicken just keeps track of the last four different files.  If you move the location of the Quicken file, Quicken will see that as a different file, so you could have what may appear to be the same file multiple times, they are different files due to their location.

Ideally, in your case, there should only be two files (personal and non-profit) on your File menu if you have not moved the files location or changed their names.

NOTE:  When you run the file validation routine, Quicken will create a subfolder named Validate in the folder holding the file and put a pre-validation copy of the file in it for safe keeping.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Recent files are a list of data files recently opened, it means nothing other than these are the last 4 files you opened. It is a convenience list that will change as you open other files.

Backups are not considered data files, they should be opened using restore from backup.
    The number of automatic backups kept is set in Preferences. The backup naming convention is obvious, (data file name/data/time/.qdf-backup). While they might open by clicking on them that is a recipe for confusion unless you really are needing to restore a backup.

File>File Operations>Find Quicken files will locate all Quicken related files on your computer.

Real Data files (.QDF) are usually located in the Quicken folder but can be anywhere.
    You should create a data file name that is easy for you to discern which file is which. If that is a problem use Save a Copy As to create a name that is useful.

One thing about backup files........when you backup you can have the current date added to the file name. Which will make a new backup each time otherwise it will overwrite the previous backup. Adding the date will over time will make new files and if you backup to a flash drive you eventually run out of room.
  • WWhippleWWhipple Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

markus1957, SuperUser made the most useful remarks.  It is essential to keep in mind that the working Quicken files are of type .QDF while backups are of type .QDF-backup (either automatic or manual).  Opening a working Quicken file that does not appear in the recent file list must be done through File/File operations/Find Quicken files.  Files may not appear in the recent file list for a number of reasons; in my case troubleshooting and fixing an unrelated problem pushed an essential file off the list.  Other responders provided helpful background information.  Thanks to you all.  --WWhipple.
This discussion has been closed.