Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Please restore the ability to control the matching and acceptance of downloaded transactions from FI/banks to Quicken for Mac, like in QM2007 or even QWin.

Make it an option to either require manual acceptance or automatic recording into the register.

Currently, downloading automatically to the register does not allow the user to easily control and verify that matching has taken place correctly, that transactions are correct, etc. Automatically accepting them immediately affects the current balance of the register/account, which is sometimes not desirable until the transactions have been verified.

In developing this workflow, I suggest that there be the ability to sort the Downloading window by all fields, including, Transaction Date, Posted Date, Check #, Payee, Debit/Credit Amounts (just like the original in QM2007).

Please add this capability back to Quicken for Mac.

Be sure to click the little black triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow banner below, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If it is grey, your vote has been registered)

Your VOTE matters!

-----------

Because of a discussion elsewhere, I found that I was summarizing at least the highlights of why this feature is still so desired. So I am copying that reply for visibility here:

There are several key differences between this process vs the automatic acceptance of downloaded transactions into the register (which is how QMac currently works):

I won't run them all off here but some differences and benefits include:

• being able to have a different window layout, showing different columns, sorts, etc. for that process that are not necessary outside that process
  • being able to explore other parts of the account register independently without interfering or interrupting the download, matching and acceptance process
  • not having the balance of those transactions impact the account register AND REPORTS until matching and acceptance of a transaction is complete. This is especially useful when there are either duplicate or unmatched or even incorrectly matched transactions.
  • both the automatic categorization and automatic matching processes can NEVER be 100% accurate because there is no way for these to account for all variations. So having a catchment to allow review before acceptance gives full control over the data affecting other already reviewed data AND REPORTS!
  • when there are large volumes of data being downloaded (whether from a single month or when processing multiple months worth of data--this can happen quite a lot for some), the matching process is far easier to navigate since you do not have ALL the transactions from the register getting in the way. For people who are willing or able to download and reconcile very regularly, this becomes less important. Not all of us have that luxury.
  • a separate window allows you to the stop the process midstream and not lose track of what you are doing more easily... again not mixing in downloaded vs manual or other processed transactions unnecessarily.
These are only highlights. Bottom line, there are many situations to which a separate download window lends itself far better than auto-acceptance and matching, which provides far more control and flexibility over the process and workflow, making the process far more efficient and effective in many situations.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

89 votes

Not Planned · Last Updated

Submitted for review Mar 2019 - CBT-165/CTP-7668 Update 11/29/23: This is not on the roadmap for future implementation.

Comments

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

Great...but to vote you actually have to click the "VOTE" button at the top. That is what gets counted.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• retha824
    retha824 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for a very well written rationale for getting this added! Hope it will get LOTS of votes and attract the developers attention...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I totally agree!!!! I have been initially using MS Money until it went away. When I switched to Quicken for Windows, each version was getting better and better. however, Mac version looks like a VERY simplified version of the Windows edition. Please integrate the ability to review the dowloaded transactions before accepting the or matching them with transactions already entered manually. Also, it would be nice to be able able to upload bank statements and notices to a particular account. Is there a possibility to also download images of cleared checks instead of having to save them manually attach them to each check transaction? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You can now vote for the feature for an indicator for accounts with downloaded transactions that need attention, here:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags

First
    , click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to VOTE for a related feature to Have Local Rules for Renaming Payees, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-have-local-rules-for-renaming-payees-in-quicken-for-mac

Be sure to go there, then click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to VOTE for the related feature to LOCK a payee and categorization, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-lock-a-payee-and-categorization-i...

Be sure to go there, then click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to VOTE for the related feature to prevent Quicken for Mac from overriding local Payee and categorization when matching downloaded transactions, here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-prevent-quicken-for-mac-from-overr...

Be sure to click on the link above go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can now vote for the feature for an indicator for accounts with downloaded transactions that need attention, here:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags

First
    , click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

A reminder that you have to click on EACH link to go there, then click VOTE on THAT page to make your vote count.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of the respective feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to  VOTE for the related feature to Add Option to Have Debits and Credits Tallied Separately for Reconciliation Process, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-have-debits-and-credits-tallied-se...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top or THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may want to VOTE for the related feature request to Add ability to track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-track-store-prior-reconciled-stat...

Be sure to click on the link above go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I believe this is an essential feature.  It helps ensure the quality of registers and allows users to appropriately match transactions with relative ease.  I won't fully convert to the Mac version is included in a future release.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    pauldv172 said:

I agree, especially since quicken doesn't do the best job at picking the correct category for each transaction.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    pauldv172 said:

Just a reminder to all to click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
     I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.
    To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Yep, we need this feature.  The current method is messy and requires to much work to ensure everything downloaded correctly.

I did vote by hitting the blue VOTE button at the top right side of the page!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    pauldv172 said:

Totally agree. Let me verify the downloads first!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

In developing this workflow, I suggest that there be the ability to sort the Downloading window by all fields, including, Transaction Date, Posted Date, Check #, Payee, Debit/Credit Amounts.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Why does Quicken feel that the auto reconcile function was the best method and remove the ability that had been in previous versions for YEARS! Come on developers return this ability to MAC2017.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Why does Quicken feel that the auto reconcile function was the best method and remove the ability that had been in previous versions for YEARS! Come on developers return this ability to MAC2017.

Keep in mind that Quicken did not remove features. Rather they started rebuilding the software from scratch, with the first release in 2010. They had many fits and starts but finally have a rhythm going now, busy trying to add back many of the features.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

I appreciate the nuance, but for all practical purposes they removed capability through their decision to rebuild from scratch.  While I can understand that they would be reluctant to do so, providing some roadmap guidance would be helpful to those that hope the pace of their rebuilding effort accelerates.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Here's my take on the rewrite.  I'm pleased they built the product from the ground up. Especially since Apple continues to upgrade their OS.

However, it was a feature in the 2007 version and its a feature in the Widnows versions. It was in those versions because it was a great feature. They took 8 years to rebuild the program. Mac 2015 release should have come out of the box with more features as in the Windows versions.  

This method of having us vote for features is nice but they don't publish the voting results.  So it seems to me they just do what they want when they want instead of listening to their customers. The feature, manually accepting downloads, should be on the vote list if they are listening.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

Here's my take on the rewrite.  I'm pleased they built the product from the ground up. Especially since Apple continues to upgrade their OS.

However, it was a feature in the 2007 version and its a feature in the Widnows versions. It was in those versions because it was a great feature. They took 8 years to rebuild the program. Mac 2015 release should have come out of the box with more features as in the Windows versions.  

This method of having us vote for features is nice but they don't publish the voting results.  So it seems to me they just do what they want when they want instead of listening to their customers. The feature, manually accepting downloads, should be on the vote list if they are listening.

Agreed.

As an aside keep in mind that it has not been 8 years of continuous effort but rather 3 completely separate attempts at getting Quicken for Mac off the ground (where the first one failed and the second one stalled after QEM was released). It is only since the effort of bringing QM2015 onward to market has Quicken finally developed a momentum to go forward.

And though not a perfect solution, I believe that by having the voting here on the forum makes the results more visible to all. Hopefully, Quicken will take these results into account well. So let's keep the voting going. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Agreed.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Steven said:

In calendar time is was 8 years.  I don't care how they managed internal efforts to get product to market.  There first solution was Essentials which is totally inadequate for users who need to track investments and create data for tax returns.

I'm not saying QM 2016 (my current install)  is a bad program but its not where it should be
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

The voting is displayed in real-time at the head of each IDEA (including this one). What more could you want?

Now I agree that Quicken does not publish their plans based on this voting. The voting is a recent feature addition and so it likely has not (yet) had a great impact on the planning process, or more precisely, the delivered product. Remember that these user wants do not get implemented overnight and have to compete for priority with other requirements such as: the separation of Quicken from Intuit, and security upgrades, and bug fixes.

And ... I do believe that manually accepting downloads is on the vote list. Look at the vote count the top of this discussion thread.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

lhossus, the IDEA list is limited to 10 items chosen by Quicken and you can only vote for 3 of the 10, got to have rules!  This voting is something else set up by a user 2 months ago. In fact any user can set up an idea for forum users to vote on,  However, they are not kept in one place
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

@Steven, you are referring to the Compare or Feedback page put up by Quicken on their main site. Yes that is limited. That is why there is this avenue on GetSat to allow more input. ALL IDEAs posted by users show up under the IDEA tab/filter on this site.

As posted above, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

Yes, they do show the vote tally at the top right hand side of the page.  My question is Quicken looking at these suggestions and doing anything with the data.

I've been to the get satisfaction page a couple of times and I must be missing something because I can't seem to filter anything useful.  I'd love to see all the GetSat suggestions for Quicken for Mac all in one place.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

Please follow the instructions at the link above and you should see what you are asking for.