Running 2 files at the same time

Is it possible to run 2 data files at the same time?  Has anyone successfully done this?

I have read that duplicating the quickmac app is the way to do this.

Comments

• Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Frank,

To help us provide the most appropriate answer, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac), what version (2015, 2016, etc.) and what release you have installed. Also, let us know whether you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You can have as many data files as you like. File:New and start a new one. If you are using newer versions of Quicken for Mac, you can use File:Open Recent to jump between your files.

No, you do not want to duplicate the Quicken Mac App as that is simply the application and the data files are separate. 
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If what you are asking is "can I have two Quicken files open at the same time so I can easily flip back and forth between the two?"  The answer to that question is "No."  You can only have one Quicken file open at a time.
  • frankfrank Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for the quick replies.  Yes I would like to run 2 files open at the same time.  I guess if it can't be done that it's probably not something we will see in the future since it's probably not a big request.

I am running Quicken 2016 3.5.2 for mac.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My apologies for misinterpreting your question. If you want to display two files at the same time, then yes, you can duplicate the Quicken Application and run two instances side by side.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is a way to have 2 files open at the same time, but you have to open them in separate user accounts on the Mac. 

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Click the lock icon to make changes (you must be an admin). Click the Plus Sign to add a new user login. Click Login Options and check Show Fast User Switching as (full name, account name or icon). You will see a new menu appear on the right side of the menu bar which will allow you to quickly switch between two logged in users.

Now when you login to the second user account and open Quicken, it will treat you like a brand new user and ask you if you want to set up a new file, open an existing file, etc. This will be the case even if you have an existing file open in the first user login. Bear in mind that you will need to create and use a different Intuit ID for the 2nd file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    edited December 2016

My apologies for misinterpreting your question. If you want to display two files at the same time, then yes, you can duplicate the Quicken Application and run two instances side by side.

Oops, John, looks like our posts passed in the ether. If you simply duplicate the app file and try to open it, you will get this error (El Capitan): 

You could use the 2-user-login method I outline below, or possibly run two instances in the same user account using a terminal command as outlined here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/200062/run-multiple-copies-of-an-app-at-once-on-your-mac-os-x-tips/

This works for some apps and not for others (e.g. iTunes). I haven't tried it for Quicken.
    edited August 2018
    Another option would be to run Quicken in 2nd instance of Mac OS running as a Virtual Machine using a tool such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. Since these tools allow you to run guest OS apps in their own windows in the host OS, this would give you true side-by-side instances.

It is possible to install El Capitan as a guest OS in the current version of Parallels Desktop, as outlined in the link below. I have not tried this myself, so don't know if you might run into any snags.

http://blog.parallels.com/2015/09/08/installing-el-capitan-in-parallels-desktop-11/
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RickO said:

Another option would be to run Quicken in 2nd instance of Mac OS running as a Virtual Machine using a tool such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. Since these tools allow you to run guest OS apps in their own windows in the host OS, this would give you true side-by-side instances.

It is possible to install El Capitan as a guest OS in the current version of Parallels Desktop, as outlined in the link below. I have not tried this myself, so don't know if you might run into any snags.

http://blog.parallels.com/2015/09/08/installing-el-capitan-in-parallels-desktop-11/

A free solution for such a light demand situation would be VirtualBox from Oracle.

here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html
    or here: https://www.virtualbox.org/

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2016

EDIT: After testing, the "open -n" terminal command does not work for Quicken in El Capitan either. I think you are stuck with one of the two methods outlined below.
  • frankfrank Member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for all your replies and work arounds.

I assume a new version of quicken will be out soon.  Can I run the new version (quicken 2017) and quicken 2016 at the same time with different files?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    frank said:

I assume a new version of quicken will be out soon.  Can I run the new version (quicken 2017) and quicken 2016 at the same time with different files?

Qm2017 is planned for release this Fall. As for running 2 versions at the same time, see posts above.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2016
    frank said:

You can run QM2015 and QM2016 at the same time on different files. They are treated as separate programs. So it's a pretty good bet that when QM2017 is released, it too will be treated as a separate program and could be run simultaneously with QM2016. 

One note: when running QM2015 and QM2016 at the same time, the program icons are identical. So the only ways to tell which one you are in at a given moment is (1) check the About Quicken in the Quicken menu, (2) hover the cursor over the dock icon to reveal the full program name, or (3) differentiate by the (different) file names at the top of the main window.
  • frankfrank Member
    edited January 2017
    I am currently running quicken 2017 and 2016 with different files.  this is a good work around for me, thanks RickO, I didn't this of this option.