Show Cash Value instead of Market Value for Investments in the Accounts List on the left

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Is it possible to show the cash value instead of the market value for investment accounts on the left account lists?  

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The amount that shows in the Account Bar is the account balance. It will be either the current balance or the ending balance, depending on which of those balances you have selected to show.

There is currently no way to select cash value or market value. Can you explain a bit about why you want to do that?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What do you mean by "cash value"?  Is that what you paid for the securities contained in the accounts(s)?

Because, normally, I'd think of the "value" of any security/account as being what I can get in cash for that security/account ... AKA the "market value"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

The amount that shows in the Account Bar is the account balance. It will be either the current balance or the ending balance, depending on which of those balances you have selected to show.

There is currently no way to select cash value or market value. Can you explain a bit about why you want to do that?

I'm talking specifically about my 401k investment in the Account Bar.  If I click on the 401k account then I see 2 values displayed.  Cash and Market.  However in the Account bar on the left it just shows the Market value.  I was wondering if there was a setting that will allow me to toggle what value is shown.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Cash Value is the term the quicken tool uses.  I have an investment account setup for my 401k and when you click on the account you will see 2 values "Market" and "Cash".  However in the Account Bar on the left it uses the "Market" value.  The cash value is what I would see if I directly logged into my 401k website and is the total contributed.  I'm not sure how quicken gets the market value and I'm not sure I fully trust that number.  I see your point, but since two values exist it would be nice if you can choose the one that you prefer to see.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would try to get to the root of why you have a different value for cash and market value for your 401(k).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    At the bottom of an investment account register, 3 values are shown:  Securities Value, Cash Balance and Total Market Value. 
    What shows in the Account Bar is the "Total Market Value", which is the sum of the Securities Value and the Cash Balance.

SO, where does Q use the term "Cash Value"?  And what is it that you want to see in that Account Bar to the left (or right, depending upon individual settings)?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I have the same issue as here.  I have several 401Ks and only in one Company's download (VOYA) it shows the Market value as a different amount than it should be.  I don't see this problem with Vanguard so I think it is a bug in Quicken 2017 for MAC.  It is not taking the right number and applying it as as the Market value.  This is problematic because it shows an incorrect number for my investment summary.  I've called customer service and they were not able to even understand this issue. 

What is happening is that Market value is reflecting the total gain/loss not the market value of the portfolio. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I have the same issue as here.  I have several 401Ks and only in one Company's download (VOYA) it shows the Market value as a different amount than it should be.  I don't see this problem with Vanguard so I think it is a bug in Quicken 2017 for MAC.  It is not taking the right number and applying it as as the Market value.  This is problematic because it shows an incorrect number for my investment summary.  I've called customer service and they were not able to even understand this issue. 

What is happening is that Market value is reflecting the total gain/loss not the market value of the portfolio. 

@Marilyn Merrifield:  This is a Windows discussion.  Your tangential question will not get proper exposure here.  You need to find a relevant Mac question, or start your own Mac question.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I have the same issue in Windows 10. I set up my 401K account in Quicken. At the bottom of the transactions I have: Securities Value, Cash Balance and Total Market Value. Total Market Value is the sum of the first two. My account actually only has what is show as the Cash Value of this investment. How can I get the total in my account list to show Cash Balance instead of Total Market Value?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I have the same issue in Windows 10. I set up my 401K account in Quicken. At the bottom of the transactions I have: Securities Value, Cash Balance and Total Market Value. Total Market Value is the sum of the first two. My account actually only has what is show as the Cash Value of this investment. How can I get the total in my account list to show Cash Balance instead of Total Market Value?

My account actually only has what is show as the Cash Value of this investment. 
    Does your real world account have that value as cash or does it have it as securities, possibly including money market securities?  

If your real world account does not have securities value, why does your Quicken representation of that account have securities?  Eliminate the securities from your Quicken account and then your Total Market Value will be $0 + Cash Value and that is what wil appear in the Account bar.

You cannot change Quicken to show something different that total market value in that account bar.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

How would I eliminate the securities? This sounds like the perfect solution, but can't find where to do it. There are no specific entries (that I can tell) for securities.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Ron Mitnick:  Presumably your Holdings view from your account transaction list would something like

Are you saying that presentation does not list any securities to justify the Security Value number?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    my cash balance is something like 16K, but on my account bar it shows as $168k. My investments aren't performing that well. Note, when I first added the account, the security value was around $800k. I reconciled to get it down to $168k.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

did you ever get an answer for this? I have quicken 2017 and have the same issue. not sure why others are struggling so much to understand the question. on left pane i want to see the cash value(Which is the real value fo my 401k) and not market value - which i have no idea where quicken gets it from - i think the product is buggy
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Cash Value is the term the quicken tool uses.  I have an investment account setup for my 401k and when you click on the account you will see 2 values "Market" and "Cash".  However in the Account Bar on the left it uses the "Market" value.  The cash value is what I would see if I directly logged into my 401k website and is the total contributed.  I'm not sure how quicken gets the market value and I'm not sure I fully trust that number.  I see your point, but since two values exist it would be nice if you can choose the one that you prefer to see.  

"on left pane i want to see the cash value(Which is the real value fo my 401k) and not market value"

No, the "real value" of your 401(k) absolutely, positively is the amount that you could get if you sold all the securities. 

Broadly speaking, a 401(k) account is no different that a brokerage account; you may have deposited $10,000 into the account but if the securities that you purchased with that $10,000 are now worth $50,000, or now worth $157.67, the market value is all-important.

If you want to see how your investments have done vis-a-vis your deposited amount then you look inside the account to see that.  But if a banker or a mortgage lender asks "what's your net worth?" then that $50,000 or $157.67 really is the relevant figure.

If, somehow, you just have to see what your "cash vale" in the account is, i.e., the value of the account with no unrealized appreciation or depreciation, then simply run an Account Balances or Net Worth report and Customize > Advanced > untick "Include unrealized gains."
  • Daniel O'Brien
    Daniel O'Brien Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Marilyn!  I have had the same issue as you, and I was completely frustrated with customer service ... they had no idea what I was asking for.  I simply want the "cash balance" to appear on my accounts summary on the left hand side of the window.  But instead, the "market value" appears ... which is useless to me, because what I really want to know is how much money I have ... not how much each share is worth.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I am having the same issue.  I want my account balance to reflect the "cash value" instead on the market value.  When the market value is shown, it is a much different balance than the cash value.  I would like my balance to show exactly what I have in the account not what I MAY make someday... Anybody have any suggestions??
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I am having the same issue.  I want my account balance to reflect the "cash value" instead on the market value.  When the market value is shown, it is a much different balance than the cash value.  I would like my balance to show exactly what I have in the account not what I MAY make someday... Anybody have any suggestions??

Clarification on the expectations is required.  

You put $1000 cash into an investment account. -- (Cash Value = $1000)
    You buy 2 securities for $500 each. -- (Cash Value = $0; Securities Value = $1000)
    Over time, the value securities changes (as traded on the applicable exchange or reported by the mutual fund family) -- (Cash Value = $0, Securities Value = $1100 or $900 or some other value)
    At some point, your securities pay out a cash dividend of $10 -- (Cash Value = $10, Securities Value = $1075 or whatever other value)
    and so on ...

What Cash Value are you expecting through these various events?  The $1000 you originally invested?  With the $10 of dividends added on eventually?  (Please don't say $1000.  Cash is Cash; securities are securities.  What you originally invested as cash is no longer cash.)

Market Value is showing what you could have sold the securities for TODAY (or yesterday or last month), not someday in the future.

Please clarify.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

You explanation makes sense. Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

To clarify, I will use ficticious numbers - my brokerage account records a market value of $100,000 when actually in my 401K I have $50,000 which makes my account balance seem much bigger than I actually have.  This has only happened when I had to change brokerage firms with my 401K.  I know exactly how much I have in my 401K and it is not the amount shown.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

actually in my 401K I have $50,000
    But in what form is the $50K?  I doubt that it is 'Cash'.  

From others questions on this site, I would speculate that in your case, your 401k is holding 'units' of a mutual fund (like a Fidelity Magellan fund) and your Quicken data is set up on shares of that fund.  Shares are not priced the same way that the 401k manager values units, thus you cannot associate the unitized fund to the publicly traded fund that deals in shares.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

@Jennifer, what does your statement from the 401k show?

And, define "cash value" as you're using the term.  Because, the customary showing in an investment account is the "current account balance" ... i.e., the current value of the securities IN the account ... NOT what has been contributed TO the account.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've not completely understood the conversation that's going on here.  I'm not sure what, exactly, the term "cash value" means.  So, let's try this:

The attached picture shows the "Holdings" view of a small Account. 

The Account has one security in it and the Holdings window shows both the current value of the security, ("Security Value") and the cost basis of that security. 

The Account has some actual "cash"in it, with the "Market Value" and the "Cost Basis" equal to one another.

The value of the security and the cash are added together for "Total Market Value" and it's this number that you typically see in the Account Bar column to the left or right of the Home screen. 

The Holding window also shows the sum of the basis of the security and the cash. 

There's exactly one thing here with the term "cash" attached to it, and that's the cash that's in the Account but has not been used to purchase a security..

On this picture can someone identify, with precison, what the "cash value" is for this Account? 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

When I go to the account, I can clearly see "todays balance" which shows the correct amount  in my 401K and "market value" which shows the larger amount. I simply want "todays balance" to show up in my account list... My statement matches the "todays balance."  Not sure where this other number is even from because I don't have that much in the account - wish I did ; )
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

@Jennifer:  More info please.  I cannot think of anywhere that Quicken offers something labelled "Today's Balance".  See Tom Young's snipped picture below.  Three values - Security Value, Cash Balance, and Total Market Value - are the commonly presented numbers for any particular day.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

@Jennifer:  Are you using a Quicken for Mac package?  That is the package that seems to have a Today's Balance field.  If so, this has been a Quicken for Windows discussion and would not be relevant to your situation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I was able to fix this issue by reconciling my account. It asks you what the cash balance is and I put zero.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    If my memory is correct, mutual fund transactions only clear at the end of trading. Quicken seems to use Securities Value to capture your portfolio based on current prices for your securities and Cash Value to capture your portfolio value based on the previous day's closing prices for your securities. 

Maybe to Quicken...
    Cash Value is the cash value of the securities in your portfolio based on the previous day's closing price for each security.
    Securities Value is the market value of the securities in your portfolio based on the current price for the securities in your portfolio.
    Total Market Value is the sum of Cash Value and Securities Value.

I am not sure why Quicken adds Cash Value and Securities Value even when a user might not have actual cash or money market funds in their portfolio. There must be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed.

Quicken shows the following for my portfolio:

Cash Value:  $31,485.69
    Securities Value: $31,681.41
    Total Market Value: $63,167.10

As of right now, when I log in to my brokerage account, my portfolio's "Most Recent Value" is $31,681.41 (same as Quicken's Securities Value). Also in my brokerage account, there is a column that captures "Dollar Change Since Close" and a column that captures "Percent Change Since Close". For my portfolio, the "Dollar Change Since Close" amount is $195.72. If you add this $195.72 to what Quicken shows as my Cash Value of $31,485.69, you get $31,681.41, which is what Quicken shows as the Securities Value.

I think Quicken is correctly capturing the Cash Value and Securities Value but Quicken incorrectly shows a Total Market Value of $63,167.10. It should allow the user to choose whether they want Quicken to show the Cash Value or the Securities Value as the balance of the 401K account. 

I did do as AH suggested above and clicked on the hyperlink for the Cash Value in Quicken and entered $0.00. Quicken now shows my Total Market Value as $31,681.41 and in the Account Bar.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    In the Windows version of Quicken, which is the topic of this discussion, there are 3 amounts at the bottom right of an investing account's transaction list (register):

Securities Value
    is the latest value of the securities (mutual funds, ETFs, stocks, etc) in the account

Cash Balance
    is money in the account which is not invested in any securities. Generally this will come from deposits, dividends or capital gains distributions that were not reinvested, or sales of securities. In many accounts, this should always be zero because any cash is automatically used to buy shares in a money market fund, often called  "sweep fund" or "settlement fund." It is not the same as yesterday's Securities Value or anything like that.

Total Market Value is the sum of these and is what is shown in the Account Bar 

There is no "Cash Value" amount.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.