QW2017 Install Wants Me to Manually Uninstall QW2016 But It is Not Showing In Win10 Apps & Features

I'm now running Windows 10 Pro and Quicken Premier 2016.  Yesterday I paid for the upgrade to Quicken Premier 2017 and successfully downloaded this new version. When I tried to install I got a installer message that I needed to manually uninstall Quicken Premier 2016 first.  Yeah, that was a bit surprising, but what was even more surprising was that when I looked in Apps & features for the Quicken app it was not on my alphabetized list.  I checked with another uninstall utility and it couldn't find it either.

There's nothing on the website that I can find where any other users have had this problem.  Quicken doesn't come it's own uninstall but I did find this community post which describes a manual uninstall utility apparently sanctioned by Intuit:

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

I am very much averse to going down rabbit holes that take many hours and days to find a way back out of and so I a couple questions:

1. Is this the proper alternative for my situation?  It seems both user labor intensive and risky. (Wondering if first or instead I should try and install 2016 again on top of itself (after backing up everything) so it will be registered in Aps & features and then I can do a standard uninstall.)

2. If I follow the instructions to the letter, successfully install the new version, then how do I put the pieces back together?

Right now Windows and Quicken is otherwise running flawlessly and my system is stable.  Knock on wood.   

Comments

• miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The QCleanUI you referenced is good to run anyway. It actually can fix some problems between versions.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • rodgerbeardrodgerbeard Member
    edited October 2016
    You were quite right.  The process worked.  I only had to enter my password 7-8 times (and also say I didn't want to use my password) and now I have QW 2017 installed instead of 2016 and it works.  

But I was surprised and disappointed to find that there are no discernable functionality changes, at least that I can find so far, and there's not even a visual difference, except the product now looks like its running on my phone instead of a Windows 10 PC with 2 hi-res, 27" monitors.  

I've promptly upgraded QW every year for the past 5 years but this will be the last time I'll be paying Intuit 99 bucks.  This upgrade should have been a free update or have been skipped entirely.  

Regardless of the 3 hours I burned on the install issue, I feel genuinely ripped off.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Glad it worked.

I have to agree that the new interface colors is really not worthy of an upgrade (I prefer the old colors) . They have a few things like more bug fixes and Zillow but still a work in progress.