Add ability to manually update security quotes account's portfolio window QM2017+ (95 Legacy Votes)

Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭
In QM2007, I could manually update quotes for any particular day inside the portfolio window, especially for funds that didn't have functional ticker symbols (i.e. 401k fund that has a unique value relative to its ticker symbol, other crazy reasons like life insurance funds).  That functionality does not appear to be in place within QM2016, as one has to add additional prices for each security under the security list.  Can we make it a little easier to directly update prices for those mutual funds/stocks that don't have direct update ability through the internet?  
QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
7 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• TomJFTomJF Member
    edited January 2018
    I second the motion.  I would greatly appreciate this feature as well
  • Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    This same issue applies to QM2017.  
  • David OrlandoDavid Orlando Member
    edited September 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Mac 2017 Securities Quotes.

Return the ability to manually edit securities quotes directly in the portfolio view, rather than having to dig through menus to get to the appropriate Securities pane
    edited February 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Response #1.

Agree! Agree! Agree!  The current process is anything but straightforward!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken Mac 2017 Securities Quotes.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Response #2.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.)

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken Mac 2017 Securities Quotes.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Response #3.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS on this forum to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the: You may want to click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions on each page to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• edited October 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Overriding Security Prices in QM2017.

In QM2007 you could edit a security price by entering the correct price directly into the price displayed in the Portfolio.

Overriding the prices that the system downloads from the net may be necessary for a number of reasons - including that fact that some securities (particularly bonds) may not be included in the download, and in some cases a user may want to correct a price to conform his file to his brokerage month-end price. 

The approach of going to the securities listing and clicking on the security in question and then selecting prices and finally entering the corrected price.  This is a very round about way to make a simple correction.

I think the approach in QM2007 would be a major improvement in QM2017
    edited January 2017

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Overriding Security Prices in QM2017.

In QM2007 you could edit a security price by entering the correct price directly into the price displayed in the Portfolio.

Overriding the prices that the system downloads from the net may be necessary for a number of reasons - including that fact that some securities (particularly bonds) may not be included in the download, and in some cases a user may want to correct a price to conform his file to his brokerage month-end price. 

The approach of going to the securities listing and clicking on the security in question and then selecting prices and finally entering the corrected price.  This is a very round about way to make a simple correction.

I think the approach in QM2007 would be a major improvement in QM2017

Well said.  Couldn't agree more.  Hopefully this is on the developer's radar.  
  • Ed CarterEd Carter Member
    edited October 2018
    I need to update the "Value" of my car... I made a mistake and enterred pay-off amount as value not the bluebook value, can you help me by fixing the feature listed in this thread?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ed Carter said:

I need to update the "Value" of my car... I made a mistake and enterred pay-off amount as value not the bluebook value, can you help me by fixing the feature listed in this thread?

ED, please stick to your own question.  Your "car value" question, in QWin, has NOTHING to do with this "security value" question in QMac.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Mira ShnierMira Shnier Member
    edited August 2018
    I need this feature on QM2018 Deluxe for Canada too, please.
    edited December 2017

It is effectively one product, just configured for Canada, so when it is available in QMac, it will be available for both US and CA.

• Mira ShnierMira Shnier Member
    edited January 2018

I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I had too many problems maintaining Parallels and Windows, so I actually have a cheap Windows laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!
    edited April 2018

BTW, consider using remote access software to access your Windows version so you can still function from your Mac...Obviously there is the MS version...otherwise there are several other options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ). 

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

Then, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in Quicken end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content. Your VOTES matter! 
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

• rhthomprhthomp Member
    edited January 2018
    I have been asking
     for this for years. I vote for this addition
  • Scott MillerScott Miller Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add security prices from portfolio view.

In Quicken 2007, I was able to add security prices from the portfolio view.  In Quicken 2018, I have to go through multiple steps of selecting Securities from the menu.  Choosing the security and then entering the price.  Please add back the ability to enter security prices from the Portfolio.
    edited April 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add security prices from portfolio view.

In Quicken 2007, I was able to add security prices from the portfolio view.  In Quicken 2018, I have to go through multiple steps of selecting Securities from the menu.  Choosing the security and then entering the price.  Please add back the ability to enter security prices from the Portfolio.

They've greatly improved this aspect of the software since QM2016, and it is simpler now, but not as simple as it used to be in QM2007.  Hopefully we'll get all the way there soon.  You can update security prices now by clicking on the security in the portfolio window and following the edit button (if I remember correctly). 
  • Stephen FisherStephen Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Your  memory is correct, Snoopy.  But what a kludge.
    Say I'm updating the price of a bond from my month end statement which I get middle of following month.  I have the portfolio set on last day of the that month.  Click on security, click on edit, move cursor to tippy top of window, click price history, move cursor down to date field, move the date down to previous month end (it doesn't remember I have already set the correct date in Portfolio view) move over to closing price, enter price, click 'add'(if you forget this it doesn't work) click 'done, then renew port window.
    This is a great improvement?  Ha.
    Compared to: click on quote field, enter value, move to next field. No wonder Mira above gave up on it.

I think of all the stupid things they do in the newer versions, the worst is always defaulting the date to "today".  When I do transaction entering, pretty much never need today's date.  I'm entering my March statements now and every single record requires that move the date from 'today' to the correct date in March. Monthly dividends typically come in on the 15th, quarterly ones near month end.   If they just inserted the last date I used it would save me loads of time.  

Do you know my ancient DOS versions of Q which were very fast and sleek, always remembered the last dates I entered o matter where and continued from there.  So much smarter.  
    edited April 2018

I know it was easier in QM2007, but that program will be on the scrap heap with the next iteration of macOS.  My point was that it is now faster in the new version of QM2018 than it was in QM2016 or so.  I hope they can make it what it once was as soon as possible.  
  • WORK AROUND: Enter a new transaction but as if buying a penny stock and fractions of a share so it doesn't affect your portfolio. A stock priced 46.29 becomes - COST 0.4629 and number of shares as 0.01. The new transaction updates the programs DB. Edit as needed.