portfolio value report bug - extra Cash entry in report

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
For years (maybe 10) the portfolio value by goal has incorrectly tallied total balance.  Currently, I am using Quicken 2014 R9.  I've tracked down the bug: there are always 2 entries in the report for Cash.  The value of is accurate, but it is listed twice.  In the report balance total, both entries are tallied when only one of the entries should be tallied (or for that matter even exist in the report).
This bug has been consistent in its behavior for a long time.  To test the bug, just create several investment accounts with cash balances and several securities having different goals.  I believe the bug will be apparent with this explanation.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Mark,

I just came across your question while going back through some old posts here in the Community. I'm sorry you have not received a response yet. To inject some new life into this conversation and to help us provide the most appropriate response, please confirm which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2015, 2016, etc.) you are using.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    I am using Q2014  Premier for Windows, R 9(23.1.9.3)
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What is Portfolio Value by goal? A report? A Portfolio view? Something else?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Reports->investing->Portfolio: Subtotal by: Investing Goal
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    This also occurs when without subtotals.  shows the cash total at the top of the report, then again at the bottom of the report.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Also getting this error with a new recently installed Quicken 2017... There is a bug in this code and  you must fix it... I depend on the accuracy of Quicken and this doesn't reflect that it is accurate. Been a user for years and the double cash listing (at top and bottom) on the Portfolio Report(no subtotal) is just wrong. I have excluded accounts without cash balances and identified seven accounts with cash balances that are the correct amount...But -Cash- should not be listed twice then  tallied twice in the portfolio report....  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm not seeing this in 2017 Premier R4 with the stock Investing/Portfolio Value report.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi Jim - I am running Premier 2017 R4 and I get this error on the Portfolio Value report. The error does not show on the Portfolio Value with Cost Basis report... And the totals on these reports DO NOT match since the -Cash- amount is doubled on the one VALUE report...
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    pdc - This is very weird. The totals are the same in my reports and the cash is only listed once.

Are you using the plain stock report accessed by navigating to Reports/Investing/Portfolio Value and not a version you have saved in My Saved Reports and Graphs? It may be that saved reports migrated from earlier versions of Quicken don't get fixes that have been implemented in newer versions (just speculating here) 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

Hi again - I am using the standard report provided by quicken off the Reports tool-bar pull-down

Investing->Portfolio Value. Doesn't seem to matter which fields I exclude from the report,

the -Cash- shows twice and is tallied twice.  When I do the subtotal by accounts, only the cash amounts for those account with a cash balance display and they only display once and seem to be tallies once. Seems like a bug in the template report...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Solved my double posting of CASH --- I did what another post suggested: eliminate accounts from the report using customize. First subtotal by account and eliminated all accounts that had no cash... from the report. Went thru more customization on dates using years then months to drill down on the occurrence that this problem started appearing. Once I found the date (which happened to be 7/21/2011) I eliminated more accounts from the list one at a time to see which account caused this error. I finally got to my 401k account and, for that date, there were two 'Reminder' transactions that didn't (or shouldn't have) any effect on CASH; they were just reminders about some txns that I was working to work up to balance my holdings with the statement.. To fix the Portfolio Report so that it was correct, I tried DELETING the reminders...

The report is now correct: -Cash- is reported only one time and only tallies once. 

I consider this a bug in the code to get a report all messed up when encountering txns that are essentially comments. These should be completely IGNORED for processing  financially or any other processing.. including reporting...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    pdclmc said:

Solved my double posting of CASH --- I did what another post suggested: eliminate accounts from the report using customize. First subtotal by account and eliminated all accounts that had no cash... from the report. Went thru more customization on dates using years then months to drill down on the occurrence that this problem started appearing. Once I found the date (which happened to be 7/21/2011) I eliminated more accounts from the list one at a time to see which account caused this error. I finally got to my 401k account and, for that date, there were two 'Reminder' transactions that didn't (or shouldn't have) any effect on CASH; they were just reminders about some txns that I was working to work up to balance my holdings with the statement.. To fix the Portfolio Report so that it was correct, I tried DELETING the reminders...

The report is now correct: -Cash- is reported only one time and only tallies once. 

I consider this a bug in the code to get a report all messed up when encountering txns that are essentially comments. These should be completely IGNORED for processing  financially or any other processing.. including reporting...

Wow! That's very interesting and I am appreciative of the time it took to perform this task. Hopefully, Quicken now has enough of a hint to correct the problem. This has been a bug for a number of years, although it took a long time until I figured out the 'double counting' of cash. Furthermore, I only recently discovered REMINDER transactions, and I like them. I won't be deleting reminders. Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    pdclmc said:

I just run into the double cash entry on report that I have been using for years, found that it was only with one account and narrowed the date down to one date, ok day before not ok that date, only had 2 entries on that date deleted one of them problem went away. Put entry back in problem still gone. Thanks
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    This problem still exists in 2018!  When I run a Report: Investing -> Portfolio Value and when there is cash in my 401(k) between deposit and investment there are 2 entries for cash.  One at the top of the report and one at the bottom.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2018

This problem still exists in 2018!  When I run a Report: Investing -> Portfolio Value and when there is cash in my 401(k) between deposit and investment there are 2 entries for cash.  One at the top of the report and one at the bottom.

Michael,

Does this occur any time you set the report's end date to a date when there is cash in the 401(k), or just for one specific instance?

Do you have Reminder transactions in the account, as described by pdclmc above?
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

For that report anyhow, it seems to do it anytime I have cash in one of the 3 investment accounts we have.  I don't have reminders in the investment accounts, but I do have them in the main checking account they are coming out of.  However, tomorrow when I have nothing pending investment, it won't show any cash on that report.  The Cost Basis report seems to do okay, but then it of course doesn't report cash.
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    pdclmc said:

I also encountered the double cash line entry in the Portfolio Value report.  I'm using 2015 Premier R16.1.  I located a reminder transaction in the register that had been created when I entered a "corporate name change" transaction (a mutual fund changed its name).  I deleted the reminder txn and the dual cash line disappeared.  Deleting the reminder had no effect on the historical name change - the security name remained changed. I then re-entered the reminder txn and the dual cash line error re-appeared in the Portfolio Value report. I replaced the reminder txn with a MiscExp txn for $0.00 on the re-named security in question, noting the name change in the memo field. This seems to offer a workaround for the reminder txn reporting issue, that still retains the name change (or other reminder content) in the register on the appropriate date & security, without other ill effects.
    Quicken user since 1991 - Premier Subscription, Windows 7
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    pdclmc said:

Thank you. I followed your instructions and it worked. It was one account with 2 bad transactions causing the issue - a "reminder" transaction and a "deposit" transaction. 
This discussion has been closed.