How can I merge two brokerage accounts? I have Quicken Deluxe 2016 in Windows 10.

kwcolston
kwcolston Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
The accounts are being merged in real life, so I want to do the same in Quicken so I won't lose my history for each stock.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Use the Shares Transferred Between Accounts transaction type to transfer all securities from one account to the other. This will create a Remove Shares transaction for each open position in the from account and an Add Shares for each open lot in the destination account. Each Add Shares transaction will retain the original account's cost basis and acquisition date.

As with any new action or unfamiliar process you try, back up first as a precaution should anything unexpected occur.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tas99
    tas99 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    How do you handle the transfer if the institution downloads the transactions?  I have 2 Schwab accounts that one was merged into the other and when I do the transaction download (and accept them) it Adds and Removes that shares but it doesn't do anything w/the historical transactions (it leaves them in the old account) and it says there is a mismatch (and doesn't show the cost basis).  Is it best to do as you suggest and use the Shares Transferred Between Accounts before I do another transaction download and then just delete the entries from the institution?  I am on Q16 on Windows.  Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    tas99 said:

How do you handle the transfer if the institution downloads the transactions?  I have 2 Schwab accounts that one was merged into the other and when I do the transaction download (and accept them) it Adds and Removes that shares but it doesn't do anything w/the historical transactions (it leaves them in the old account) and it says there is a mismatch (and doesn't show the cost basis).  Is it best to do as you suggest and use the Shares Transferred Between Accounts before I do another transaction download and then just delete the entries from the institution?  I am on Q16 on Windows.  Thanks.

I would always do the Shares Transferred in Quicken before accepting the downloaded transactions from the brokerage.  The Shares Transferred function will include the applicable acquisition dates and cost basis data with each newly-generated Add Shares transaction.  

You may be able to delete the Remove Shares / Add Shares from the downloaded data and then execute the Share Transferred.  It might be easier to restore a backup and then do the Shares Transferred followed by a new download.  

The downloaded Add Shares may not fully match the Add Shares generated by the   Shares Transferred, in which they will not match and you will need to delete the downloaded versions,once you have confirmed to basic data.  
  • tas99
    tas99 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    tas99 said:

Thank you q.lurker.  It worked (after some difficulties w/some unfriendly placeholders). 
This discussion has been closed.